John Deere 4020 sales vs All International 706, 806 & 1206 series sales.

czech

1 hour ago, acem said:

Really the 2520 was closer to a 544 than a 706 in my opinion.

The early 706 and 3010/20 were more competitors.

The 706 and 3010 make good mowing tractors. 

I’ll post it later but I have a article by JR Hobbs that specifically states the 705/56 actually began to eat into the 3020 sales because they had more hp but could be purchase for roughly the same price as a 3020 and that situation led JD to develop the 4000.

23 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Maintenance can be applied to JD stuff too.  My 1256 doesn’t drive down the road like a car or my 5020. It has a few issues but I ain’t going to knock it either since it’s approaching 60 years old. 

Yes, you are right, maintenance will go along way on any piece of equipment, don't matter the color

• Like 2

Growing up one of the neighbors had a 2510, pretty sure it was a 10 and not a 20. Long time ago. Don't know too much about it, just remember thinking it was strange. 4020's were everywhere, that's the only 25xx I can remember.

2 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Growing up one of the neighbors had a 2510, pretty sure it was a 10 and not a 20. Long time ago. Don't know too much about it, just remember thinking it was strange. 4020's were everywhere, that's the only 25xx I can remember.

The 2510 and especially the 2520 were not popular at least compared to the other NG Waterloo built tractors.  The sole purpose of the 2510/20 was to give farmers a rowcrop tractor in the 50-60 hp class but that size of rowcrop tractor was on its way out.  The 2510 had to compete with JD’s own 2020 which IMO was the better tractor unless you wanted a PS.

It was definitely out of the main stream here. Think they had a 40 and did mostly, it not all hay. Was probably plenty of tractor for the operation. I went to school with his younger son K-12. The older one, two years older than us, was kind of like Chip from Weird Science!

I had a JD 1010 diesel.  It was the worst tractor I ever had.

Glow plugs didn't work right and would almost never start.  After I finally got it running better it would push exhaust out the radiator (head gasket or cracked head).

I got tired of working on it and took it to a consignment auction.  Lost time and money on that tractor...

The retired former owner of a local John Dealer stopped by the other day to buy an used rim for a 630. I told him one of my daughters was driving a 2010 in our local tractor ride. He said that was the one tractor that caused them to loose customers to IH. Especially the diesels. He made a list of all the problems that tractor had from the drawbar to the grill and submitted the list to John Deere. They knew they had a problem.

You know, I didn't t I ever looked at the tag for the model and serial number. The model numbers were gone from the sides. The seller said it was a 1010.

I don't know but it never did an hours work for me but sure cost me alot of time and money.

22 minutes ago, acem said:

You know, I didn't t I ever looked at the tag for the model and serial number. The model numbers were gone from the sides. The seller said it was a 1010.

I don't know but it never did an hours work for me but sure cost me alot of time and money.

1010 had a stick shift on the floor. The 2010 had a similar shifter to the 4010 on the dash. 

1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

The retired former owner of a local John Dealer stopped by the other day to buy an used rim for a 630. I told him one of my daughters was driving a 2010 in our local tractor ride. He said that was the one tractor that caused them to loose customers to IH. Especially the diesels. He made a list of all the problems that tractor had from the drawbar to the grill and submitted the list to John Deere. They knew they had a problem.

I've only known one 2010 and it was an industrial with a loader and backhoe.  A local part time mechanic bought it and used it for custom dirt work for 30 years.  Did lots of work for our area water district.  When he had an auction to sell everything and move to a retirement home it had 8,000 hrs on it.  Ran like a sewing machine.  Can't remember what it sold for as this was 15 years ago.  Hearing and reading all this bad talk about the 2010 makes me wonder if this one was the only one in the world that gave good service.  

2 hours ago, cedar farm said:

Dad ran a 2010 as a mowing tractor for the city in the 80s. It was the biggest piece of junk ever. It was bought to replace a Farmall A and after having it about a week he was wishing they had kept the A. It spent more time in pieces getting stupid problems fixed than it did on the job. It got traded for a new Belarus within a year or so from when they bought it. The Belarus was almost as bad.as the 2010.

Grandpa had a 2010 when I was in grade school. It had a loader and He used it to clean the drive way in the winter and drive out to check my uncles cows in the pasture.  That was about it. He was retired by then. I don't recall his opinion being all that high on it. Didn't always start that good in cold weather and wasn't really big enough for much. Grandpa was really an ih guy most of his life so I'm not sure how he ended up with the 2010.

1 hour ago, 766 Man said:

The 88 HP cited would have been for a 4020 gas SR while the 806 cited was for a diesel equipped tractor.  

IMG_7414.jpeg

IMG_7415.jpeg

He was probably going off the manual 

The territory sales manager for Deere (yes, I once worked at a Deere store)  told a story from the 2010 days about a certain dealer who had some difulculties with a 2010 that was supposed to be in stock at a dealer and it wasn't there.  He ask to show him where it had been sitting, knew it hadn't been in stock as there was no oil spot on the ground where he claimed it had been.  (they leaked from new out of the clutch housing)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, cedar farm said:

1010 had a stick shift on the floor. The 2010 had a similar shifter to the 4010 on the dash. 

Mine had the shifter in the floor.

So 1010

3 hours ago, farmall57 said:

The territory sales manager for Deere (yes, I once worked at a Deere store)  told a story from the 2010 days about a certain dealer who had some difulculties with a 2010 that was supposed to be in stock at a dealer and it wasn't there.  He ask to show him where it had been sitting, knew it hadn't been in stock as there was no oil spot on the ground where he claimed it had been.  (they leaked from new out of the clutch housing)

I belive every word if it but IH was the King of the Hill and they took the heat for every poor product and they got worse with time. No one talks about Allis 190 rear ends but they talk about a small percentage of 560 failures that were fixed under warranty properly 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, hillman said:

I belive every word if it but IH was the King of the Hill and they took the heat for every poor product and they got worse with time. No one talks about Allis 190 rear ends but they talk about a small percentage of 560 failures that were fixed under warranty properly 

Our CaseIH blockman in the early 90's said it was the way they handled the 560 problem. Big tents, lots of hoopla telling farmers they were fixing a problem for free. Made for great advertising for Deere. When Deere has a problem they quietly send out notices to the owners saying they will update their tractor to the newest features. Which sounds better? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

Our CaseIH blockman in the early 90's said it was the way they handled the 560 problem. Big tents, lots of hoopla telling farmers they were fixing a problem for free. Made for great advertising for Deere. When Deere has a problem they quietly send out notices to the owners saying they will update their tractor to the newest features. Which sounds better? 

And the problem turned into a legend most people know nothing about 

9 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

I’ve said it before I think the 560 rear end became famous because of the timing.  If IH would have put the 560 on the market 2 years earlier to compete with the 720, then the damage would have been minimal since the 3010/4010 would still have been 3-4 years off.  IH could have recovered in that time.

11 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

IMG_7411.jpeg

IMG_7412.jpeg

IMG_7413.jpeg

Green Magazine JR Hobbs

I'd say considering this is written by a bias green guy it has points in it that both sides can be happy with. But some of it sounds like propaganda. There are a lot of guys running old red iron on here and elsewhere that would have something to say about the jab at quality in the last line. 

• Like 1

If the transmission and final drive on the 706/ 806 was so crude,  why is it that most pulling tractors use that driveline behind obscene horsepower?  

The accusation that IH was not concerned with operator comfort and convenience...... I have driven both a 706 and a 3020.  If you have long legs, the hydraulic controls are not handy.   I have no issue reaching those levers on my 706!!!!

• Like 2