Deere blocks

I've had a few 400 series Deere engine apart recently. They both have had to be line bored for the crankshaft, does anyone have any idea why it seems to only be Deere engines that warp?

Could it have anything to do with mother deer’s propensity to use their engine blocks as structural members on their tractors?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 756puller said:

I've had a few 400 series Deere engine apart recently. They both have had to be line bored for the crankshaft, does anyone have any idea why it seems to only be Deere engines that warp?

5 minutes ago, axial_al said:

Could it have anything to do with mother deer’s propensity to use their engine blocks as structural members on their tractors?

I'd also ask in what application in what tractor etc . They have used more frameless designs than IH did from what I saw 

I don't know. I always thought the 1800 series Oliver's used 7 main bearings hoping the crankshaft would hold the block straight. They were mounted in a cast iron tub. Have had to line bore a couple of 282's. Part of the high cost of properly rebuilding the 361-407's was straightening out the bores. Think it has more to do with how much iron is used and where. Along with the cooling dynamics.

We have a 8 of those at work.  We had to line bore one because the mains were out of round.  That tractor had been turned up for as high as it would go for a long time.  The biggest issue we see is liners dropping down into the block in the high horsepower ones.  Like 48 and 49 models.  All the ones at work are on straight frame tractors.  As long as they have good coolant the liners/ o rings will last a good long time.   The John Deere dealer told me one they were sending their blocks to a certain machine shop and the guy wanted to line bore them all.  Started using a different shop and amount that needed line bore went way down.

6 hours ago, 756puller said:

Lots and lots of JD engines of many flavors. Never had to have one line bored. Had to have 3 JD crankshafts welded and reground. Worked on 2010 gas ,diesel, 3010,20; lots of 4010 4020.  7520 531s, 8630 up to 50 619s and some of the 6068 loader engines and such. Never had to have the crank journals bored. Even had a 3010 once that had front main bearing in backwards was able to reuse block with reground crank. 

• Like 1