706 farmall sn 46035 d310

why are parts for this engine so hard to find ? we  have one in the shop we were hopeing to in frame it had water running out of the sleaves o rings but the crank has to be turned, even looking for a used engine is a tough 

Parts are available but maybe not at O'Reilly's or AutoZone.

These engines haven't been built since the 90s? They generally last a very long time so there's not a big demand for parts. I'd say they were built at the peak of German quality.

What specifically are you looking for?

Whats so hard to find did several in the last year. No problem with anything I needed but I didnot need any injection pump parts.

ive been calling tractor salvage yards around the west and only found the  d282,    seems to be lots of that stuff and its older.          hope its not like getting engine parts for my d262 allis chalmers in my 58 d17.   machine shops are so busy around my area,     turn around is forever for what few that are left.       i was hoping not to turn a crank  or swap out a running one

Lots of parts are readily available through Reliance. ( Not always the preferred choice but is pretty much the only source of new parts for these engines). Fix what you have. It’s just plain wasteful to trash a fixable engine by putting an unknown used engine in . I will share my experience with using a reliance head gasket in one that I overhauled. All bolts were torqued to spec in correct sequence/ procedure. After starting the engine for the first time I had coolant and oil running down the side of the block by the time the engine block was warm to the touch. (Not even close to full operating temp). I shut it down and re-torqued the head bolts. They all turned an additional quarter turn! The head gasket sealed after that and has been fine ever since. In the future if I ever have to use another reliance head gasket I will plug in the block heater and let it go through a “half heat cycle” and re-torque before attempting the first start and I advise you do the same. 

• Like 2

Well first off not many 706's were made with the D310 compared to the D282. The engine was only used in the last year of production of the 706, and the "706 with the German diesel" is highly desirable. So, you're not going to find them sitting around in salvage yards. You still haven't told us what you're looking for but if it's 706-specific you might have a hard time finding it.

The D310 was also used in the 756, but there again, total production of 756's was somewhere in the range of 11,000-12,000 tractors, probably half of those being gas, so maybe 6000 diesels total, ever. Once again, the diesel model is highly desirable... You're just not going to find them sitting around in salvage yards, at least not with the parts you're looking for. Engines are one of the first things to disappear out of them.

The D310 was used in the last two years of production for the 686, but only about 1500 units were made in 1979, presumably fewer were made in 1980, and some of those were gas... Notice a pattern developing here?

Some later IH 715 combines used the D310, which would have been a great source of an engine in 1985, but 39 years later the yards full of used 715 combines with good engines has dried up.

Supply and demand. 
inventory is a lot of money sitting there. So I’m ( good business sayes) not going to pay to store parts for it . 
60 year old tractor .

i check tractor house ,put part number in the part search and see who has them 

pn. 3059574r93 crankshaft ready to go in ,    or a running engine.   we are a reliance dealer didnt see a crank on there.      just cant waite for the local machine shops.    we had a 715 brand new with a 6cylinder gas  i started running it in 78 when i was 14 would have been a great machine if you could get it to feed decent, it sure beat the old 101 

This is the reason most people don’t depend on old machinery anymore. There’s no way to run 50+ year old machinery and not have this issue. I don’t like a lot of the new machinery, but there isn’t a lot of choice anymore. If you blow the engine in a ten year old machine, you can have a reman in a few days at the most. Reman engines often aren’t any better than a rebuild by someone who knows what they are doing, but the downtime is a killer. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hudco said:

why are parts for this engine so hard to find ? we  have one in the shop we were hopeing to in frame it had water running out of the sleaves o rings but the crank has to be turned, even looking for a used engine is a tough 

BC it doesnt fit the narrative ,buy new every two ,until you own nothing ,eat cake (bugs)no other BS reason period!!

32 minutes ago, Hudco said:

this is for a customer and this what they want so thats what i get paid for,  its their famly tractor dad bought new anyways 

Hopefully they are helping with the search so they know how much actual time you have in the job that you won’t get paid for. 

a lot poeple just dont understand how much time it takes to get parts located and here so my mechanic aint just standing around  and get the paper work done just for each job i will trade a day in the shop for ten minets of paper work in a heart beat

Not sure where you're located, so pinpointing a salvage yard is a little tricky.

I noticed the part number you gave was for a crankshaft that was 050mm undersized.  I assume that's the same as .010" undersized.  Not sure if that's the size you're actually seeking or not.   Part number 3059757R93 is for a standard sized crankshaft, and turns up several hits on Google, including FP Smith in California.

11 minutes ago, Nebraska1206 said:

Not sure where you're located, so pinpointing a salvage yard is a little tricky.

I noticed the part number you gave was for a crankshaft that was 050mm undersized.  I assume that's the same as .010" undersized.  Not sure if that's the size you're actually seeking or not.   Part number 3059757R93 is for a standard sized crankshaft, and turns up several hits on Google, including FP Smith in California.

.5mm=.020" .050mm=.002"

The D310 was also used in some cotton pickers back in the early 70s.  I got one from a combine years ago.  Everything that bolted to the short block was different (at least it seemed like it).

12 minutes ago, pt756 said:

I did need a aluminum water manifold a couple of years ago, was kind of hard to find,

Steiner has reproductions available now

all those china haed gaskets are crappy  all of the parts vendors are getting their stuff from the same places ,           just like all the car parts companys their number  will sub to a dorman  number  coming from the china factory     dorman used to be quality   now they have crappy quality everything

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2024 at 1:30 PM, Nebraska1206 said:

N Part number 3059757R93 is for a standard sized crankshaft, and turns up several hits on Google, including FP Smith in California.

Any one know of discount codes ,or best person to phone order as commission rates /prices are different?

If email they only do 3-4 items  and refuse to tell quantities,  Then will not add items until you buy the first.

Just adjust quantities to invoice and place the order,"we'll charge by what fills"

I dont need 12 of x if there is only 3 of y   and like to know ALL the back end fees /costs gross  $$ upfront