Classic Versatile 145 tractor in a Dealerships showroom

U-C

IMG_7407.jpeg

IMG_7408.jpeg

Heres mine.  A very popular and somewhat innovative tractor for the time period.  It did for the tractor market what the Ford Model T did for cars 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, 65806 said:

Mine has a spun main bearing. I have a V504 that I’m going to throw in it if I ever get time but until then it’s just yard art. 

Mine has a reman 504 too.  555s would work too. 

That’s cool , we were a Verstile dealer back in the day , always had a soft spot for them . That guy did a great job on the restoration 👍😎

Partsman at the caseih dealer here in town has a 145 he fixed up. He did a 900 versatile before that. The 900 had 20.8 duals but he set it up with single 24.5 32 like original pictures of a 900 in the brochures or operator manual. He sold it after having it for a bit then went with the 145.

8 minutes ago, acem said:

A friend has an old versatile with a v6 Detroit I think. What model would that be?

It’s a repower because they never used Detriot.  With the exception G-100/125 which gassers, D-100, and some of the Bi-directionals, they all used Cummins

In high school I ran a G125. 391 Ford industrial with headers flipped upside down pointing straight out the front and no mufflers. That thing was loud inside the cab. Very noisy drivetrain.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 3:04 PM, Big Bud guy said:

IMG_7407.jpeg

IMG_7408.jpeg

Heres mine.  A very popular and somewhat innovative tractor for the time period.  It did for the tractor market what the Ford Model T did for cars 

That’s a really nice picture! (Top one)

• Like 1

I ran one for a neighbor one summer pulling a chisel plow in wheat stubble.  Hot and noisy….but I was young.  Later I owned a 1970 model with the original Cummins v470 (I think).  Beautiful restoration.  Thanks for posting!

11 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

It’s a repower because they never used Detriot.  With the exception G-100/125 which gassers, D-100, and some of the Bi-directionals, they all used Cummins

I'm not certain it was a Detroit. Seems like the engine was in pieces.  But they were bad to swap stuff around and liked Detroit Diesels.  It's the same friend who has the old Massey 4x4.

I have a pic somewhere I'll try to find. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 3:04 PM, Big Bud guy said:

IMG_7407.jpeg

IMG_7408.jpeg

By what it did for the tractor market do you mean it really built a good reputation and made 4WD’s popular?

45 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

By what it did for the tractor market do you mean it really built a good reputation and made 4WD’s popular?

Versatile was the first to mass produced and make an affordable 4 wheel drive tractor for the common farmer.  Thats why I compared them to the Motel T.   Plus their design of incorporating the transmission and drop box into one unit was a design everybody eventually copied.  That instead of using a truck transmission and a separate drop box.  

• Thanks 1

Versatile were always innovative and well designed.  They were sometimes on the light-side of build vs Steiger I think. 

I think the Model T comparison is well put.  

Never seen Versatile in this part of Michigan back in the day, heard of them but none around here. Today, I know off two in the area and one is a new 620, he got it new last fall and just got a new CaseIH  620 this spring. The versatile is a quad track and the IH is tires

17 hours ago, Sask466 said:

Versatile were always innovative and well designed.  They were sometimes on the light-side of build vs Steiger I think. 

They were lighter built then Steigers which was a good thing to start with.  That’s why they were more affordable.    Later on Steiger used a 1/2” thick frame while Versatile used 3/8”.   I think there was about 6,000 lbs difference between our 950 and the equivalent Steiger.  

8 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

They were lighter built then Steigers which was a good thing to start with.  That’s why they were more affordable.    Later on Steiger used a 1/2” thick frame while Versatile used 3/8”.   I think there was about 6,000 lbs difference between our 950 and the equivalent Steiger.  

Our area had a lot of potholes and often lots of rain in the spring.  4wd’s weren't heavily ballasted as such.  Steigers were quite rare in our area.  Lots of Versatiles.  (We were 3hrs west from Winnipeg).  

Steigers always looked so cool to me as a kid of the 80’s.  

9 hours ago, Sask466 said:

Our area had a lot of potholes and often lots of rain in the spring.  4wd’s weren't heavily ballasted as such.  Steigers were quite rare in our area.  Lots of Versatiles.  (We were 3hrs west from Winnipeg).  

Steigers always looked so cool to me as a kid of the 80’s.  

Seemed like Versatiles were about 15-20% cheaper than a Steiger.  Their marketing scheme was why pay all that extra for iron when chloride/water was cheap.  Steiger responded by sending in the mail a plastic gauge with notches showing the thickness of their frame and other parts of the tractor.  You were suppose to walk up to a Versatile and compare them.  I think Versatile’s way worked pretty good up until you got to our 950 or north 350 hp

We burned about a fourth of the tread off our 950 the first year.  Dealer would only fill the inside tires with fluid because of warranty.  The next year after the warranty was off we filled the other 4 tires and then the tractor pulled like a locomotive.  I always thought Steiger was the happy medium between Versatile and Big Bud who built their tractors at around 100 lbs per hp.

Did any Versatile tractors suffer frame failures from the thinner material? There weren’t ever that many around here. Lightweight and poor hydraulics was what I remember hearing, but were the hydraulics any worse than comparable brands of the same vintage?

5 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Did any Versatile tractors suffer frame failures from the thinner material? but were the hydraulics any worse than comparable brands of the same vintage?

No and no.  I’m sure somewhere out there someone broke a frame but I can show you Versatiles with Degleman blades mounted on them for the last 30 years still going.  Hydraulics were no worse then Steiger and actually both Steiger and Versatile had the worst hydraulics in the market both being open center.  JD, White, MF 4000 series and I’m pretty sure AC all had CC systems.  But back then nobody was running air seeders and Valmars.  They just needed to lift a plow out of the ground.  

• Like 1