Jump to content

Stainless vs steel guns.


Recommended Posts

I’m not a hunter or a marksman,  but if something needs to be shot, I have a Japanese Howa .270 that I feel is ridiculously accurate when compared to what I hear my buddies that are more “into” the sport talk about how they shoot.   I won it in raffle.  Buddy told me it we be a good  farm gun that I could use for about anything. Like as a shovel or hammer.   Then I took about twice as many cans off the top of the fence post as he did with his fancy Remington 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I’m not a hunter or a marksman,  but if something needs to be shot, I have a Japanese Howa .270 that I feel is ridiculously accurate when compared to what I hear my buddies that are more “into” the sport talk about how they shoot.   I won it in raffle.  Buddy told me it we be a good  farm gun that I could use for about anything. Like as a shovel or hammer.   Then I took about twice as many cans off the top of the fence post as he did with his fancy Remington 

Howa 1500 is a Weatherby Vanguard . Howa makes both. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, mike newman said:

...thems   fightin ' words  !!!!

...that should give this topic  a shake up.....:unsure:

Mike

I should probably clarify “perfect” to “best all around”.  It can do everything pretty well, but it’s not the best at any one thing.  You can benchrest target shoot with it, all the way to hunt pretty big game.  The cartridge seems inherently accurate too.  

I have had a 22-250, 6mmx284, 25-06, 7mm-08, 30-06, 300 Wby, and it can sort of do all the things those cartridges can.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Sask466 said:

I should probably clarify “perfect” to “best all around”.  It can do everything pretty well, but it’s not the best at any one thing.  You can benchrest target shoot with it, all the way to hunt pretty big game.  The cartridge seems inherently accurate too.  

I have had a 22-250, 6mmx284, 25-06, 7mm-08, 30-06, 300 Wby, and it can sort of do all the things those cartridges can.  

 

It is very versatile, I personally wouldn’t chose it for anything beyond 300 yards. I read a great article, probably In American Rifleman, discussing it, outlining ballistics and strength/weakness. It makes the point that, although it’s a common sniper round, we don’t really care that much about the pain and suffering of our enemies, and often it is better to wound them than kill them, because it occupies more people dealing with a wounded man. We do care about the pain and suffering of the animals we are hunting, and there are better long range killing rounds. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2024 at 7:03 AM, Rawleigh99 said:

Browning Citori

My first skeet gun was a Citori Skeet Special - 26" with a beaver tail fore stock. I never shot it too well and bought it because some of the guys at the range were using one. It certainly was a well made gun but really didn't fit me well - length of pull too short, so I traded it on the 686 that I still have, which fits me well.

I always had a soft spot for LC Smith as my father had a beautifully engraved model his uncle gifted him, sadly sold when money was extremely tight. Anyway I found this very clean field model and had it restocked with a long length of pull. I finished the wood then had it checkered by a woman who worked for Kimber. It turned out to be too long and needs to be cut. Unfortunately I became Chief Pilot and my free time suddenly was limited and more devoted to kid's soccer games and other family duties. My son and I were shooting fairly regularly but he's now XO on a CG Cutter so I lost my partner. Maybe now that I'm semi retired (company has been calling me for coverage as I'm still current) I'll get the stock cut and get back on the range with it. I dolled it up with thin wall screw in choke tubes as it had full/mod barrels. It's been sitting in its case for almost 20 years.

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, stronger800 said:

I’m not a hunter or a marksman,  but if something needs to be shot, I have a Japanese Howa .270 that I feel is ridiculously accurate when compared to what I hear my buddies that are more “into” the sport talk about how they shoot.   I won it in raffle.  Buddy told me it we be a good  farm gun that I could use for about anything. Like as a shovel or hammer.   Then I took about twice as many cans off the top of the fence post as he did with his fancy Remington 

Why is that guns won in a raffle shoot better ? 
Im going off the subject again ,!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who ever is pushing that stainless barrels are not as accurate as chrome molly barrels hasn't told the High Power Rifle community.  If you look down the firing line at a High Power match all you will see are stainless barrels.  Whether it be on ARs or on M1As.  I have three match grade AR-15s, all three have stainless barrels.  My two AR-10 clones, both have stainless barrels.  Among the M1As, the loaded and national match are chrome molly, while the M21 is a stainless Kreiger and the rebarreled national match is stainless.  All of my AR-15 carbines are stainless Mcgowen or X-Caliber barrels.  The 6.8 and 7.62x40 rifles are stainless.  Stainless is just as accurate as a chrome molly and will last longer when properly cared for.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Howa is a 1500.  Remembered to look this morning.  I had bought a ticket for a  Ruger, but was handed a Howa when I went to pick it up at the shop.  I didn’t think I should complain, for the $20 it cost me.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, New Englander said:

My first skeet gun was a Citori Skeet Special - 26" with a beaver tail fore stock. I never shot it too well and bought it because some of the guys at the range were using one. It certainly was a well made gun but really didn't fit me well - length of pull too short, so I traded it on the 686 that I still have, which fits me well.

I always had a soft spot for LC Smith as my father had a beautifully engraved model his uncle gifted him, sadly sold when money was extremely tight. Anyway I found this very clean field model and had it restocked with a long length of pull. I finished the wood then had it checkered by a woman who worked for Kimber. It turned out to be too long and needs to be cut. Unfortunately I became Chief Pilot and my free time suddenly was limited and more devoted to kid's soccer games and other family duties. My son and I were shooting fairly regularly but he's now XO on a CG Cutter so I lost my partner. Maybe now that I'm semi retired (company has been calling me for coverage as I'm still current) I'll get the stock cut and get back on the range with it. I dolled it up with thin wall screw in choke tubes as it had full/mod barrels. It's been sitting in its case for almost 20 years.

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

..beautiful   firearm ....!!!

Mike

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, mike newman said:

..beautiful   firearm ....!!!

Mike

X2, that’s a real purdy piece. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, stronger800 said:

My Howa is a r1500.  Remembered to look this morning.  I had bought a ticket for a  Ruger, but was handed a Howa when I went to pick it up at the shop.  I didn’t think I should complain, for the $20 it cost me.  

Yeah, I wouldn’t complain about that at all! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

X2, that’s a real purdy piece. 

....close , Seth...very close to another ''lead ball ''moment......Had the "purdy''  word had an 'E' therein.....:rolleyes:

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, mike newman said:

..beautiful   firearm ....!!!

Mike

Thanks Mike. The gun still had good blue and fair case hardening colors. It's only a Field Grade, the cheapest of the LC Smith side lock guns, extractors, double triggers. The stock was done in American Walnut by a stock maker in California. I was on a trip with a layover in SFO and drove quite a distance to his shop. He had a duplicator machine which was pretty interesting in itself. I picked out the wood, requested a thicker fore stock than the original splinter stock and a few weeks later it was done. I spent many hours doing the finish and shipped it to the woman who cut the checkering with a request for a Fleur-de-lis pattern. She did amazing work.

The shotgun my father sold, probably for $40. or so back in the day, was an Eagle grade like below. Now worth 8-10 grand.

Eagle grade LC Smith.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, New Englander said:

Thanks Mike. The gun still had good blue and fair case hardening colors. It's only a Field Grade, the cheapest of the LC Smith side lock guns, extractors, double triggers. The stock was done in American Walnut by a stock maker in California. I was on a trip with a layover in SFO and drove quite a distance to his shop. He had a duplicator machine which was pretty interesting in itself. I picked out the wood, requested a thicker fore stock than the original splinter stock and a few weeks later it was done. I spent many hours doing the finish and shipped it to the woman who cut the checkering with a request for a Fleur-de-lis pattern. She did amazing work.

The shotgun my father sold, probably for $40. or so back in the day, was an Eagle grade like below. Now worth 8-10 grand.

Eagle grade LC Smith.JPG

....yes, NE,   your Dads LC Smith would certainly  have appreciated in value  ....some exquisitely crafted   shotguns came from that long defunct   company....

My interest in Marlins over many years,  spawned a lot of peripheral issues, including  the LC Smith shotgun(s)...because Marlin brought out the company around 1940 something...however, despite being very generous with my firearms budget...the very occasional LC Smith I came across in NZ..or the few back in the daze listed in various American  catalogues , where waaaay out of my league....!!

One long gone NZ Antique Arms Auction catalogue showed a 'Smith "  hammerless  shotgun....  I queried the relevant folk as to exactly what is was...foolishly asking if it was, in fact  an    ''LC Smith"....My respondent ''thought it was ''...thus encouraged, I put a hefty  postal bid on this shotgun....

The Hawkes Bay branch of the NZAA  Assn  are probably still talking about the clown from the South Island that put the bid in , for the "Smith"...I gave it away to a bloke who wanted a ''wall hanger''......and to add further indignity to some obscure  British manufactured   shotgun...the bloke painted it green...!!!

Live and Learn..sigh

I thought friend @vtfireman85  was  taking the piss  when he suggested your shotgun was ,,I quote:  ''a real purdy piece ", but I believe, as Seth has reminded me before, that it was his Vermont ''basturditation '' of the cultured English word, ''Pretty ''...:rolleyes:

I would never have been so bold as to call  this ''blasphemy  '' from  Seth,   but I thought for a moment he was on about ''Purdey "...as in the very famous English Gun Maker............:unsure:

Thats why "'Firearm related topics' are so interesting.....:)

Mike

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, mike newman said:

....yes, NE,   your Dads LC Smith would certainly  have appreciated in value  ....some exquisitely crafted   shotguns came from that long defunct   company....

My interest in Marlins over many years,  spawned a lot of peripheral issues, including  the LC Smith shotgun(s)...because Marlin brought out the company around 1940 something...however, despite being very generous with my firearms budget...the very occasional LC Smith I came across in NZ..or the few back in the daze listed in various American  catalogues , where waaaay out of my league....!!

One long gone NZ Antique Arms Auction catalogue showed a 'Smith "  hammerless  shotgun....  I queried the relevant folk as to exactly what is was...foolishly asking if it was, in fact  an    ''LC Smith"....My respondent ''thought it was ''...thus encouraged, I put a hefty  postal bid on this shotgun....

The Hawkes Bay branch of the NZAA  Assn  are probably still talking about the clown from the South Island that put the bid in , for the "Smith"...I gave it away to a bloke who wanted a ''wall hanger''......and to add further indignity to some obscure  British manufactured   shotgun...the bloke painted it green...!!!

Live and Learn..sigh

I thought friend @vtfireman85  was  taking the piss  when he suggested your shotgun was ,,I quote:  ''a real purdy piece ", but I believe, as Seth has reminded me before, that it was his Vermont ''basturditation '' of the cultured English word, ''Pretty ''...:rolleyes:

I would never have been so bold as to call  this ''blasphemy  '' from  Seth,   but I thought for a moment he was on about ''Purdey "...as in the very famous English Gun Maker............:unsure:

Thats why "'Firearm related topics' are so interesting.....:)

Mike

 

 

 

 

 

Purdy is VT for pretty…. You know… like 

“you got a purdy mouth….”

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Purdy is VT for pretty…. You know… like 

“you got a purdy mouth….”

Uhmm...I see.......well that certainly  clarifies   the vexed issue of  VT chat.....:unsure:

...''.a purdy mouth ''.......I dunno....sorta like  AOC ???

Mike

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not directly related to your rifle, expensive shotguns or purdy mouths but I found this range estimating card. Looks useful.

image.thumb.png.5d050a7f6abc9137acf4240cfbd27c69.png

They are sold by several companies. I just stole the best pics 

image.thumb.png.5932000c8b9c5bbc6e51d2b2b14fb759.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have this AH Fox that came from my FIL. I think it is pretty, but I have never shot it. 

IMG_3961.jpeg

IMG_3960.jpeg

IMG_3959.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I have this AH Fox that came from my FIL. I think it is pretty, but I have never shot it. 

IMG_3961.jpeg

IMG_3960.jpeg

IMG_3959.jpeg

Wow! Beautiful colors on it! Is it an A Grade? A fellow used to bring some of his Fox guns to Major Waldron range on the Thursday evening shoots years ago. I remember a similar gun that I believe he said was their A grade.

Yeah, Purdy are a London company that's produced bespoke guns of impeccable quality at prices few can afford.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Wow! Beautiful colors on it! Is it an A Grade? A fellow used to bring some of his Fox guns to Major Waldron range on the Thursday evening shoots years ago. I remember a similar gun that I believe he said was their A grade.

Yeah, Purdy are a London company that's produced bespoke guns of impeccable quality at prices few can afford.

...''Purdey ""   with an  E    .......as mentioned above.....

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, acem said:

Here's a video of his reference.

 

Being from down under you may not have watched Deliverance. 

They drive a scout in the movie.

...I actually have a disc of that particular film.....

Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mike newman said:

...''Purdey ""   with an  E    .......as mentioned above.....

Mike

Yes, Purdey. Thanks Mike.

I used to subscribe to The Double Gun Journal and drool over the bespoke guns.  Sadly they're not printing anymore due to costs. https://www.thedoublegunjournal.net/

Purdey prices are truly well into the stratosphere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 gauge hammer gun of mine. Back about 30 years ago on the Thursday night modern skeet shoot I decided it was unusual enough to bring. I bought some primed 3 1/2 shells, cut them well down, and loaded them with 1 1/8 #8s and a 12 ga black powder load. I should have cut them down shorter as I still had to add a lot of wadding before I roll crimped them, undoubtedly raising the pressure and report.

Modern Skeet is all pairs, station 1 being a report pair. I got the first bird but had to ask if I got the second due the smoke - I did. All action on the adjacent range stopped as the black powder report is way louder than the smokeless skeet loads. Faces cautiously peered around the fence at the smoke and wadding snowfall. The guys in my group were quite ammused but I only shot a couple more stations due smoke and the fact I neglected to bring a glove as black powder makes for hot barrels and the gun only has a splinter. Gun says London but is actually a Birmingham gun. Proof marks make it mid 1860s. Note one barrel is choked as it's marked not for ball and 11 bore, 12 muzzle. The other barrel is stamped 12. It's chambered 10.

 

 

10ganotforball.jpg.2519c99065289b51e38d217268059bea.jpg

10 ga hammer 1.jpg

10 ga hammer 2.jpg

10 ga hammer top rib.jpg

10 ga right side 1.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...