Stainless vs steel guns.

I know people who don’t like stainless guns because they feel they are inaccurate. I have 2 Stainless 10/22 one will drive nails, the other has never really been dead accurate. 
I am seriously considering buying a Ruger M77 in .308 with a 20” stainless barrel, its a large chunk of change, and I want the stainless for bad weather hunting, but I don’t want to fight with inaccuracy. Stainless doesn’t dissipate heat well, so I can understand how it might affect accuracy. 
opinions? 
https://www.ruger.com/products/HawkeyeHunter/specSheets/57107.html

IMG_6278.png

3 minutes ago, 5288IH said:

Maybe people with stainless steel guns only own stainless steel guns, you know what i am saying

I mean you cannot blame your tools if you are a bad shot, I am a steel man anyway

• Like 1

We have several stainless steel firearms and they are more accurate than I am. I shoot an M77 in a 7mm REM mag. I’m not afraid to shoot a deer at 600 yards. It’s the boat paddle stock, stainless barrel, and a high end scope. 

• Thanks 1

Stainless steel barrels can be  very accurate.

Stainless steel rifles with synthetic stocks are very practical weapons for hunting in humid areas.

However a nice rifle with blued metal and wooden stocks are beautiful!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nate said:

How many rounds are you going to miss with being you’re worrying about dissipating heat?    Asking for a friend…

Except for sighting in/target shooting it really isn’t a huge concern unless it doesn’t go back where it was

Not totally relevant to your stainless question, but Rugers M77’s are under appreciated rifles.  I don’t think you can go wrong.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought you were the resident semi expert in this field....?

(With zero effort I can OTD < $1050 retail ,you should have better contacts...?)

2x with Ace

Stainless steel barrels can be  very accurate.

Stainless steel rifles with synthetic stocks are very practical weapons for hunting in humid areas.

However a nice rifle with blued metal and wooden stocks are beautiful!

And have them .

But in this PC evnviron passed.on more SS,including a beautiful (take it away) USA Henry

In a short G, SS/ILK is not worth the extra$$

Spent several hours in the store and 15+ online researching last month,SS was always in #3 spot with darkened or checote options.

Store didnt care, they were getting x + $ ,and took a while to sell/recommend by ,farm use ,practicality/serviceability, vs low $ or bling factor.

Stores quote,"rent at the range all your choices" (which should be both broke in and dialed in) feel/characteristics and whether YOU can be "controlled" accurate with xyz.

$400 was not practical for waste "testing"

The package included a ruger ,but store advised (norm today) it is somewhat HIGH maintenance vs the 1950s Roy R colt.

This tracks with the weekly emails for upgrade /parts.

Thousands of this popular model didnt pass 2x QC and went strait to $80% off(dealer) ,parts bins,where the reworked pieces are sold by the thousands.

Pay premium $ for USA product,40% dont pass QC and 1000s need parts already....? Kind of supports china &(^( for $300

4 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

We have several stainless steel firearms and they are more accurate than I am. I shoot an M77 in a 7mm REM mag. I’m not afraid to shoot a deer at 600 yards. It’s the boat paddle stock, stainless barrel, and a high end scope. 

......why shucks, Nick...having rolled a deer at 600 yards...what do you do then...??     flag down a taxi or something ??....I mean as an old cow poke and trucker....no way could you walk 600   yds without a zimmer frame  or some motorised terrestrial  conveyancer.....

...and down under if one rolled a deer ...or a thar.....or a chamois  at 300 yds or more, ..this in 'our'  mountainous terrain.....one might only find it two weeks or more after a kill....and then only by the scent of a decaying carcass......

...perhaps a potential trophy  animal would tempt one to  pull off a long shot...but the slope gradients, the sub alpine flora...(which can be almost impenetrable..) the shingle fans with the ' blind ' rock slides and bluffs etc   make it a  big call.... Even above the bush line , in the open tops, the animal can crumple down and be hidden by some small scrub..or a bunch of rocks ..or whatever...

I have a slew of pictures to put up, sometime  , on this site....Back in the 264   Winchester daze....and other non   stainless steel firearms.....with wooden furniture ......

As far as Seth goes, any Ruger firearm seems to be a very good quality...and a very worthy addition to any firearm collection...We have three 77's...none in calibers that suit the current fashion.....but Rifles that have brought home literally  ''tons'    of venison...(Remember , we can go hunting 365 daze a year...always have and always will...)

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can’t even see 600 yards in a straight line  here in NY.  Would need bullet that could ride a curve either way.  I have a few of each and never even realized there was suppose to be a hypothetical difference in accuracy.
I can miss with either metal.
I’m 9 out of 10 in the groundhog department this spring though, which is pretty good for me 

EA22EA6F-96C5-4802-B140-F964D3C92BDC.jpeg

• Like 1

In my experience, Ruger has been the most accurate product "out-of-the-box".

Had/have plenty. Ruger, Savage, Browning, Stevens, S&W, and more. Been a die hard Winchester fan since I was a kid. Model 94 has been my favorite. 

Most recently the Mrs picked up a Henry. I will be buying more of those. The fit and finish is fantastic. There aren't words to describe the butter smooth action. It has improved her accuracy.

As far as SS goes... Most SS barrels are 416. Low chrome, no nickel, high carbon and sulfur. 416 is magnetic. It can rust. 

I don't think the barrel material makes any difference on accuracy. You can buy three identical. None will be the same as another. You either get a good one or you don't. Buy what you want. If it's not accurate replace it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mmi said:

I thought you were the resident semi expert in this field...

I am no expert in barrels. My price is slightly lower than what you found from online sources, but not by much, my volume is so low i don’t get the favorable price some bigger retailers get, plus shipping on a single item etc etc. 

7 hours ago, Sask466 said:

Not totally relevant to your stainless question, but Rugers M77’s are under appreciated rifles.  I don’t think you can go wrong.  

I agree, they are overlooked a lot. Good or bad Ruger has stuck with some rather out there chambering options in the 77, you can still get 308, 06, 243 and some other staple choices, but in the special editions they really branch out… for instance, who is looking for a $2000 rifle in .416 Ruger? 

For me it has to be a 77 if I am buying one right now, to say nothing bad about any of the hundreds of fantastic choices in a hunting rifle, I just want what I want… I like Rugers so much that I even like the much maligned P85. 

• Confused 1

Buy the Ruger, American made! Ruger builds High quality stuff 😁 I know how it is when you have a certain item on the mind &@$$ I'm here to make up your mind 🤩1976 was a centennial year I bought a Ruger 10/22 the barrel is marked made in 200th American Liberty, on sale for 70.00 bucks I should have bought 10 of them!? I bought four Ruger rifles last year the 308 I'm on target at 600 yards.

A word about stainless firearms, some parts may not be stainless, may not rust but can corrode, it's brightness may not be good for hunting needs some camo.

So, when you pick up the Ruger get a Leupold VX-6HD mounted on your new rifle, it's like buying a horse 100 years ago the horse cost $10.00 and the saddle cost $40.00 as a hunter you should have a small arm on your person?

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

4 hours ago, mike newman said:

......why shucks, Nick...having rolled a deer at 600 yards...what do you do then...??     flag down a taxi or something ??....I mean as an old cow poke and trucker....no way could you walk 600   yds without a zimmer frame  or some motorised terrestrial  conveyancer

Only did it to see if I could. The boss was bragging about his rifle, that he had spent a small fortune on, being accurate out past 1000 yards. 
I did put a high dollar scope on it, but I am not smart enough to be able to adjust the reticle, so I just high or left according to my guts. 
I used to shoot about every day. I have not shot a rifle in over 5 years. I would have to start all over now. 
And as to walking, that’s why you have a side by side. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sask466 said:

Rugers M77’s are under appreciated rifles.

X2

1 hour ago, acem said:

On my list of rifles I'd like to find is a Ruger M77 (Mark II) stainless synthetic in 6.5x55 Sweed. Preferably the old boat paddle style.

image.thumb.png.d9ac089de3890a259188945441c135f8.png

Had one of those in 7 Mag, was not fun to shoot.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Finney said:

Had one of those in 7 Mag, was not fun to shoot.

I went with a girl who was about 4’11” and maybe 90 lbs. We went out shooting with her grandfather, he had something in 300wby mag, maybe a model 700? She put a full magazine through it from a standing position, I was very very impressed. She was a real piece of work. 

I have a stainless 77/22 magnum with the boat paddle stock that is my truck groundhog gun.  It has been very accurate and hasn't been treated very well!  I have a Savage heavy barrel 223 with SS barrel that will shoot out to 600 yards (in the right conditions).

• Like 1

Several years ago I bought a scout in .223/5.56 and it is stainless, being a super short barrel I don’t expect much of it but it seems pretty decent, taking the scout scope off was a big improvement, I have always wanted to try one with a carbon steel barrel to compare. 

12 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Several years ago I bought a scout in .223/5.56 and it is stainless, being a super short barrel I don’t expect much of it but it seems pretty decent, taking the scout scope off was a big improvement, I have always wanted to try one with a carbon steel barrel to compare. 

...just keep this thread rolling, Seth...always interesting,,,,:)

....and now to wind up the ''big bore''  aficionados....these are the Model 77    calibers  that  we use down under for  our hunting....22-250 / 250-3000  and 7x57.... I also had a 77 in 257 Roberts, but sold that along with a 308 Norma   Magnum, (Shultz and Larsen ), to fund one of the many trips to visit the    US of A ...

The Ruger's  are all ''pre warning "   models......and those (my) visits were ''pre  the uneasy regime that currently prevails in Bidenville  "....good memories ...

Mike

• Like 3