Is it a bad idea to use a generator to keep a battery bank charged up?

I have a '59 B-160 with a BD264 and generator that I've added a crane to, and will be adding a couple electric winches as well which will be a temporary install.  Ultimately, I want PTO winches on it, but I don't have the hardware yet, and I do have the electric winches here. 

I'm also adding an extra pair of group 34 batteries to run this stuff, on the other end of a battery isolator as I know there's no way the generator will keep up with this kind of draw.

I'm going to switch the generator to an alternator eventually, but like many, I've got 502 other projects that need to get done, lol.

As such, can I get away with keep the generator for a while, knowing it will take longer to recharge the batteries, or is this just begging for quick meltdown of the generator? 

If there is going to be any length of pull with those winches. I would advise forgetting electric. I have 12000 lb. winch on skidloader. I can pull a load about 8 feet. I doubled the size of alternator. Might have increased pull length to 9 feet. By that time winch is smoking. So adding battery capacity wouldn't help either. Answer for me would be hydraulic. Should be plentiful in truck salvage yards but when I find one they seem to think they are new. Not knowing your use but I would guess pto is probably your best bet

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 10:58 AM, snoshoe said:

If there is going to be any length of pull with those winches. I would advise forgetting electric. I have 12000 lb. winch on skidloader. I can pull a load about 8 feet. I doubled the size of alternator. Might have increased pull length to 9 feet. By that time winch is smoking. So adding battery capacity wouldn't help either. Answer for me would be hydraulic. Should be plentiful in truck salvage yards but when I find one they seem to think they are new. Not knowing your use but I would guess pto is probably your best bet

Gotta be careful with these winch ratings. 12000lb single-line pull is only for the 1st layer of cable on the drum. If you're trying to pull 12000lb dead weight on a full spool of cable, you better double it up with a snatch block.

image.png.95ec16cc32baed16db8756bc5a901c85.png

You also need to watch duty cycle. 9 minutes at max pull will have it smoking for sure:

image.png.5a79e3f3fe3050fc561562cb3aa3f1be.png

These are for a Harbor Freight Badlands 12000lb winch, but are pretty typical. You won't find a 12,000lb rated winch that is rated for 12,000 on the 4th wrap of cable.

On 5/13/2024 at 1:10 AM, BadDecisions said:

As such, can I get away with keep the generator for a while, knowing it will take longer to recharge the batteries, or is this just begging for quick meltdown of the generator?

I would plan on putting the batteries on charge when the truck is parked. The generator is not going to be able to keep up without leaving the truck idle for hours.

I've had a 12K winch on the trailer for over a decade that's always been run strictly on a pair of batteries, because I'm not running a 1/0 wire to the truck batteries, and figuring out how to connect it to the trailer for the occasional time I need to pull a dead car up that 20 feet.  Yes, 12K is overkill for this. I had an extra Warn in the garage, and a need on the trailer, so they came together.

A 65 amp 10si isn't going to add much over a 35amp generator from a power standpoint, which is why I'll be going straight to a high output AD244.  But I'm also planning on adding a York compressor, so the brackety will be a bit more than a simple *si set up. 

I know the generator won't do much for recharging, and my concern was more on whether it will handle running at full output for a while once the batteries start to draw down...not knowing how much they can take before over heating becomes an issue. If it's a problem, I'll just fully isolate the aux batteries, and recharge in the garage when I'm done.

2 hours ago, BadDecisions said:

I've had a 12K winch on the trailer for over a decade that's always been run strictly on a pair of batteries, because I'm not running a 1/0 wire to the truck batteries, and figuring out how to connect it to the trailer for the occasional time I need to pull a dead car up that 20 feet.  Yes, 12K is overkill for this. I had an extra Warn in the garage, and a need on the trailer, so they came together.

A 65 amp 10si isn't going to add much over a 35amp generator from a power standpoint, which is why I'll be going straight to a high output AD244.  But I'm also planning on adding a York compressor, so the brackety will be a bit more than a simple *si set up. 

I know the generator won't do much for recharging, and my concern was more on whether it will handle running at full output for a while once the batteries start to draw down...not knowing how much they can take before over heating becomes an issue. If it's a problem, I'll just fully isolate the aux batteries, and recharge in the garage when I'm done.

The generator will survive just fine if current regulator is set correctly.