Got my first progressive glasses....these things are a nightmare!

I tried the progressive lenses a few years ago, but couldn't get used to them. I went with an old fashioned bifocal with a line and that has worked very well. I'm the opposite of most people as my reading vision is still great at 63. Under the line on my glasses is just clear. 

It's what works for YOU!

If setting back in the recliner, with your feet up, you have the glasses way out of whack.

I wear readers now, after cataracts, and they have to set on the end of my nose.

That way I can look over the top at the TV and down to see the laptop.

I wore the progressives for years and loved them.

I heard of a mechanic, electricians, etc.. that work over their head, put progressives in the top of the lens to see overhead.

After awhile you get used to moving your head to adjust automatically.

Nothing works perfect for everyone.

I tried them and could not wear them. No peripheral vision and depth perception was way off.  I had to get the regular lined bifocals. 

• Like 1

I’ll take progressive lenses any day over tri-focal lenses. I’ve been wearing them for over 10 years and love them. It took a short time to get used to them but after that it’s great 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2024 at 4:32 PM, BadDecisions said:

Ok...is it just me, and I just have to get used to them?  I'm sitting on my recliner, and I have to bury my chin in to my chest to be able to clearly see the TV 10 feet away, looking through the tops of the lenses... It's not too bad seeing my phone in my hand though.  If I change how I'm laying in the chair, the TV looks ok, but then I'm moving my head all over to see anything else...

I've been wearing contacts for 30+ years almost exclusively.  Only time I wear glasses is that short time at night when the lenses come out right before bed, or before they go in in the morning.  So I always got the just regular ol lenses in the cheapest frames they had.  I know I've had astigmatism for about 20 years, but as the doc said  - "oddly you seem to be able to see through it.."

Went to a new doc this year for various reasons, and he went straight to the progressive lens..I never felt like the regular lenses were a problem, but what the heck... I'll try the progressives, and I'm already regretting this.

Do I just need to get used to something different, or have others felt like these things are a bigger pain than they're worth too?

Wait till you have a stroke I have to carry 2 pairs of glasses

• Sad 1

I have had glasses close to 60 years. About 15 years ago the doc say I needed help reading. They put bifocals on me. I adjusted, but still read numbers off bearing without. They push the progressive real hard, I tried a pair at a week I said NO. Then some how they moved were the bifocal was in the lenses, back to reading without. They had a million reasons not to put them where I wanted, but finally back WERE I LIKE THEM. 

I have tried progressives.  I hate them everywhere except working at my desk.  I use them for that and that alone.

I can't stand progressive's, tried them once and had to have them make me lined bi-focals which I have stayed with. 

Well engineered progressives, fitted by a Doc (and support staff that are well trained are great), they quickly go down hill after that. I have 25 years on progressives, just part of the aging process!!

Good luck with your vision issues and never give up, One of the best attributes of a large metropolitan area is the access to all forms of medical care.

I’ve been wearing contacts since I turned 40 (10 years). Tried glasses, that lasted about a month, always fogged over.  About 4 years ago the eye Dr. recommended different prescriptions for each eye, one for distance and one for reading.  Been working good for me, YMMV.

Here's why progressive lenses are popular in the aviation community. Note the intermediate vision requirements for those of us over 50. The solution is trifocals or even quad focal lenses, or, progressive lenses. Before progressive grinds were available it was common to see pilots with two or even three lines in their glasses. The third line was for the overhead panel which is very busy in early two man cockpits. Fortunately for me the plane I moved into as I got older had a very automated cockpit and although there are plenty of items up there they require little attention so it''s not hard to lean back on occasion.   The below also applies to Air Traffic Controllers.

Federal Aviation Regulations require that a pilot’s distant vision be 20/20 or better, with or without correction, in EACH eye separately to hold a first or second class medical certificate. The standard for near visual acuity (16″) is 20/40 in each eye separately. Pilots aged 50 and older also have an intermediate visual standard measured at 32″ of 20/40 or better in each eye separately.