Got my first progressive glasses....these things are a nightmare!

Ok...is it just me, and I just have to get used to them?  I'm sitting on my recliner, and I have to bury my chin in to my chest to be able to clearly see the TV 10 feet away, looking through the tops of the lenses... It's not too bad seeing my phone in my hand though.  If I change how I'm laying in the chair, the TV looks ok, but then I'm moving my head all over to see anything else...

I've been wearing contacts for 30+ years almost exclusively.  Only time I wear glasses is that short time at night when the lenses come out right before bed, or before they go in in the morning.  So I always got the just regular ol lenses in the cheapest frames they had.  I know I've had astigmatism for about 20 years, but as the doc said  - "oddly you seem to be able to see through it.."

Went to a new doc this year for various reasons, and he went straight to the progressive lens..I never felt like the regular lenses were a problem, but what the heck... I'll try the progressives, and I'm already regretting this.

Do I just need to get used to something different, or have others felt like these things are a bigger pain than they're worth too?

24 minutes ago, BadDecisions said:

Ok...is it just me, and I just have to get used to them?  I'm sitting on my recliner, and I have to bury my chin in to my chest to be able to clearly see the TV 10 feet away, looking through the tops of the lenses... It's not too bad seeing my phone in my hand though.  If I change how I'm laying in the chair, the TV looks ok, but then I'm moving my head all over to see anything else...

I've been wearing contacts for 30+ years almost exclusively.  Only time I wear glasses is that short time at night when the lenses come out right before bed, or before they go in in the morning.  So I always got the just regular ol lenses in the cheapest frames they had.  I know I've had astigmatism for about 20 years, but as the doc said  - "oddly you seem to be able to see through it.."

Went to a new doc this year for various reasons, and he went straight to the progressive lens..I never felt like the regular lenses were a problem, but what the heck... I'll try the progressives, and I'm already regretting this.

Do I just need to get used to something different, or have others felt like these things are a bigger pain than they're worth too?

i have the same issue with them, tried them 2x and hated them both, tried for a few mos and the biggest thing i could say is you have to move your head you cannot move your eyes

totally against everything we have ever learned to do

if you had contacts you were able to move your eyes and still see with progressives you cant move your eyes you have to move your head up/down/right/left your eyes have to stay in the sweet spot

I love progressives. If you have to look through the very top to see the TV then they're set up wrong. The place I go will spend 30-40 minutes getting the glasses set to be ground correctly. They should pretty much focus where your nose is pointing. When I got my first pair I took them back as they were making me sick. I was told, and they were correct, that your brain will adapt in a couple of days. Give them a chance. Yes you have to move your head more but pretty soon you won't even think about it.

The only problem I ever have is the eye machine for my medical cert. The machine kinda holds you in the wrong position to tilt your head back enough but picking the glasses up solves that. Fortunately the Falcon 7X doesn't have too much on the overhead as much is automated but I have to lean way back to see some of it. Guys flying other planes have to have lenses ground to see the overhead panel resulting in trifocals or weird progressive grinds.

• Like 2

I remember my mom and dad both trying them T separate times, dad couldn’t do anything with them and it was so bad mom went back a month later and had yet another pair made because she couldn’t take it. She has a strange prescription though and has to be looking dead center on the lens or she gets wicked headaches. 

Raise one corner of the frame up or down while looking straight ahead. If it improves go back and have them redo the alignment. I had to do that twice but I was so hard on my frames back then I wound up buying an expensive flexible frame.

After wearing glasses for near sightedness for over 5o years I got my first progressives a few days ago. I had no problem at all. I still look over the top for working on small stuff a few inches away but otherwise its through the lens all day long. 

• Like 2

I had 1 set that were junk. Never did get them adjusted correctly. I have had 6 sets of progressive lenses and that was the only pair that really bothered me. I still can’t back up to hook up implements with them. 
I’m fortunate in that I only need them to read with. I just got tired of carrying a pair of readers and sunglasses. 

I’ve had glass and or contacts since I was 4. I put off getting progressive lenses for several years, mainly because of the extra cost. I finally gave in because I couldn’t read my phone or any small print. They do take some time to get used to. But you should be able to see your tv without tilting your head the top would be for distance.

I tried them years ago and didn't like them either. You either love them or you hate them, it seems, to the people I talk to.

Having said that, it's also a pain carrying around reading glasses and wearing a 2nd set for night time driving.

The key to the progressive glasses is to get a frame that allows a large enough lens to have a progressive lens and make it comfortable with out having to tilt your head

• Like 1

I wore contacts since a teenage for distance but last few years started getting hard to read so got the progressives. I kinda love them. When I first got them it took me about 5 minutes to get used to. I can read again!  The cheep readers just didn’t do it for me.

The biggest thing I didn’t like was I lost peripheral vision. Kinda annoying turn my head farther to see implement behind the tractor or when using loader in the barn. Figured I’d get used to that but nope. Went back last week to ask about bifocal contacts, dr advised against it but basically set up one contact to see distance and one to see close. I get them Monday hope it works. 

I had progressive contacts for a long time. Switched eye Dr's and didn't like them so switched me back to regular ones. I don't like the regular ones and am now just using bifocal glasses. Seems I can't wear the contacts like I used too. 

51 minutes ago, 1256pickett said:

I wore contacts since a teenage for distance but last few years started getting hard to read so got the progressives. I kinda love them. When I first got them it took me about 5 minutes to geIf yput used to. I can read again!  The cheep readers just didn’t do it for me.

The biggest thing I didn’t like was I lost peripheral vision. Kinda annoying turn my head farther to see implement behind the tractor or when using loader in the barn. Figured I’d get used to that but nope. Went back last week to ask about bifocal contacts, dr advised against it but basically set up one contact to see distance and one to see close. I get them Monday hope it works. 

If you're a pilot you can't wear them, disqualifying right on the application. If you're not, good luck with them!

A good optician will take lots of measurements and mark up plain glass in your frames sitting in front of you with their tools. If you just take your prescription to the mall they'll never be right.

• Like 2

Count your blessings ,wait till you get cataract implants if ever! Hold off as long as possible that makes senses everybody’s different . 

• Like 1

I would agree with others, they are not set right for you.  I have had several pairs of regular and safety glasses that were progressive. Some have been great, others drove me nuts and I couldn’t wear them. It appears that it’s all about when they take the measurements.

i would go back and tell them you issue.  

unless your in you recliner with you feet up and your tv is almost on the floor?

• Like 2

I've wore progressives for about 25 yrs and yes the first time I had them on I thought I was going to be sick. Went back to Dr. and they said to wear them a week, if not better come back and they would work with them. Wore them a week and was a lot better, I just had to get used to them. By the way this is the first time I've ever had glasses. Now 25 yrs later I still wear them and I don't have to move my head to read, I move my eyes. As others have said keep going back till the glasses are right. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, axial_al said:

You’ll get used to them……..eventually.

Yes, I also have progressive lenses. Have had them for several years now. I didn’t like them at first, but after a while got very used to them. 

I’ve tried for 4 years to get a pair of glasses I can leave on all day to see up close with. Can see good far but getting a little fuzzy way out distance wise. Tried two different pairs of progressive lenses. No way, no how. I left them on my face for weeks and was very open minded and optimistic I would get used them. Never did. The worst thing was depth perception was way off. Couldn’t run equipment and couldn’t judge how deep anything was such as ruts or road ditches. Switched to straight bifocals and depth perception is still not what I wish. I’m at my wits end and can’t keep spending $$$ trying the next thing.  

worn glasses for 60 years now, went to transition no line bi-focals about 8 years ago. the transition lenses( they auto darken and lighten) are a God send, no need for separate sun glasses. i must admit the first couple weeks were a challenge only because when stepping down from a curb or stair steps my depth perception was off and i couldnt tell how far i was stepping down but then it didnt bother after that.

I'm kind of getting the feeling that much of this is dependent on wearing glasses normally, which I don't. I've got them on for maybe 20 minutes a day, if that.  Wake up, put on glasses, stumble to shower...get out and contacts go right in until bedtime, then it's glasses for the short trip to bed.  Reading, distance, driving, night time, it's all good with regular contacts for me.   I probably wouldn't even get glasses if I didn't get them free through the insurance. Never had "normal" bi/trifocals before either.

I didn't feel like I had any problems seeing, but the doc said it was time for the progressives along with the astigmatism contacts, so I went along. 

58" TV is about 7 feet up the wall, angled down so I'm looking straight at it while reclined.  Not a problem with my normal contacts or glasses. 

The assistant gal did have me put on a set of glasses, and she did a bunch of measurements and put some dots on the lenses with a sharpie..said something about 3 zones, and how they're not just straight line delineations across the lenses...which I didn't fully understand, but then I'm just a monkey with some wrenches, sooo.... 🤣

I'll schedule another appointment with them to recheck things though.  Thanks all!

Doesn't matter whether you've worn glasses regularly before or contacts or nothing at all. There's still an adjustment period and a learning curve. I've worn single-vision glasses since the age of 9 and got progressive lenses here about 4 years ago, so 37 years, and it was rough at first. I had to get used to tilting and turning my head more instead of moving my eyes. Took way more than a day. 

• Like 1

Didn't need glasses for anything till 40 or 45. Then I denied it for a fee years and struggled along. It's close up I have most trouble with, tho I have a stigmatizism  now also. Started using cheaters and it helped a bunch. I could read lo German than a half hour again and see to work on stuff. Got no li e trior bifocals for work. They worked fine for a couple years. Till my eye site got worse. Next exam I got a pair that prescription also was to correct for stigmatism,  cnat get used to em. Don't know if there is too much correction or not enough. So I never got a new pair for work and use safety glasses with cheaters built in (bi focals)

1715599663482203658199555485029.jpg