Northern lights

16 hours ago, hardtail said:

My son texted me at midnight to go outside but I was sound asleep, he sent these from the city, they would have been better out here had I been awake

IMG_20240511_044618.thumb.jpg.55036ad75b9fee7c81d20f85ae6a12a3.jpg

Ifn I wouldn't have been in the truck I probabaly would have been sawing logs to Lance😁

1715452829133.png

• Haha 5

I can't see anything tonight. Haze, scattered clouds...

A friend took some pics and nothing came out. So he turned around and took this night mode pic of his (white) house. Pretty neat.

I tried to get a pic of my house but the dark bricks didn't show anything.

IMG_20240511_232910.jpg

• Like 1

How visible are the northern lights in your area with your eyes?

How clear are the shapes and colors when you just look at them?

Round here people are posting time lapse pics that make it look like you can really see alot. Actually it was quite dim and more of an indistinct glow.

Just now, acem said:

Round here people are posting time lapse pics that make you look like you can really see alot. Actually it was quite dim and more of an indistinct glow.

Usually they are very visible and bright around here, western MB. The phones nowadays do seem to make them look brighter in the pictures than they really are though. Any phone/camera I've had before could barely pick then up while being very visible to the eye

I didn't know they were out Friday night, and I was outside till midnight. Last night they were starting to dance in the sky, but they were right over top and south of here, which I think I've only ever seen once before

• Thanks 1

The new cameras with long time exposures really exaggerate how bright they are.  I went out a couple times before midnight last night just to look and you could see the faint green swirls up above us moving around. Took a pic though with a 10 second exposure and you could see a bit of the red and way more of the green showing up. 

34C15956-B4F0-4461-B730-3B4ADA7EA0E5.jpeg

776AA1DD-E594-4425-B98C-407E3107039B.jpeg

• Like 2

Too many clouds here, but there was a reddish glow in the sky, and my camera pictures showed some red to the north. Hopefully tonight will be clear and we might get to see them again.

The first pictures that I posted were the extended exposure and the color was amazing. The second ones were still shots and that’s what it looked like to the naked eye.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2024 at 11:21 AM, td9bcf180 said:

I didn't stay up to see them but they were supposed to be really good in these parts, right @IHKeith?

@hardtail  I thought you would have been up past midnight celebrating the Oilers win?

It was cloudy here, the green glow was all I saw

On 5/12/2024 at 7:50 AM, acem said:

Round here people are posting time lapse pics that make it look like you can really see alot. Actually it was quite dim and more of an indistinct glow.

My wife took pictures that show them, but when I looked at the sky, I couldn’t see anything at all.