900 Cyclo 12 Row

Am I crazy?

I bought a 900 Cyclo 12 row at an auction in Nebraska and now need to get it home to Iowa. I got quotes for $2600 ($1000 crane to lift on trailer and $1600 to haul) to have it delivered to Iowa which is 215 miles. When it gets home, we do have two excavators that could lift the planter off the trailer. I would like to spend that money I would pay to haul on maintenance and upgrades for the planter.

I looked for a Donahue trailer that was reasonable or that I could rent but no dice as the cheapest I found was $2600.

The farmer who sold it said it was 18' wide, 15' deep with the draw bar, 11.5' tall, and roughly 10,000 llbs.

My plan is to replace the four drive tires, grease the bearings and pull home with my Chevy 2500 truck which I figure will take me seven to eight hours.

I talked with both Nebraska and Iowa highway patrol and they said the only restrictions are traveling during daylight hours. 

29228.jpeg

• Like 1

We've done similar. Bring jacks and spares. Get yourself some battery powered strobe lights and light that thing up like a polish church. You'll still be dodging traffic. Plan on 10mph. Trucks are much more subject to bounce and jounce than a tractor at 20mph. I've seen an 18 foot disc put a one ton crew cab in the pickers at 15 mph. Guy asked if he could leave the disc in our yard until he could come back with a tractor (and clean shorts).

I would also ratchet strap the wings up tight. They will sway and transfer weight. That little bit of play makes a big difference at speed.

My $.02

Getting across major river bridges will be another issue. When I bought my 12 row cyclo, Marion Co. sheriff's  department came out and shut down the 'mile long bridge' that goes across Lake Red Rock. I then proceeded across. Not a big deal but you'll have to get across the Missouri, Des Moines, and several smaller ones too.

Those things kill wheel bearing open in the field..... I'd be afraid to go 215 miles on the crap wheel bearings IH thought was a good idea on those things.

I suggest pulling the wheels off the wings for spares,  and get lots of practice changing wheel bearings, they suck!

I looked long and hard for a 12 row front fold just for transport reasons. I pulled this home from NE Missouri to EC Minnesota. 

Snapchat-442864181.jpg

1 hour ago, DT Fan said:

Getting across major river bridges will be another issue. When I bought my 12 row cyclo, Marion Co. sheriff's  department came out and shut down the 'mile long bridge' that goes across Lake Red Rock. I then proceeded across. Not a big deal but you'll have to get across the Missouri, Des Moines, and several smaller ones too.

Thank for that. I had not thought about the Missouri. I will be coming from Humboltd, NE and highway 136 runs north and then across the Missouri.

Will that tongue fold? Some of the pull types like that did. I bought a 900 semi mount vertical fold at at one time from Sorenson Equipment at Harlan IA and hauled it home on their 30 foot Donahue flatbed trailer. Backed it on the side and unfolded the wings, fit fine. Pulled it behind the K3500 diesel I had at the time. Maybe they'd rent it to you? Talk to Corey at 712 755 2455

3 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Will that tongue fold? Some of the pull types like that did. I bought a 900 semi mount vertical fold at at one time from Sorenson Equipment at Harlan IA and hauled it home on their Donahue flatbed trailer. Backed it on the side and unfolded the wings, fit fine. Pulled it behind the K3500 diesel I had at the time. Maybe they'd rent it to you? Talk to Corey at 712 755 2455

It will not fold. Mounting bolts can be removed along with hydraulic hoses. I will give them a call.

If there's an implement dealer or someone else nearby with a dock you can pull a flatbed trailer sideways to the dock and back the planter on.  I have pulled a 12 row front 50 miles home with no problems other than that it was very tongue heavy.  And it turned out there were only cylinder blocks on two of the four wheels so two wheels were carrying it all.  Is your planter a three point that was converted to pull type?  I've never seen vertical fold pull type like that.

A dealer near here had a 950 pull type like that on the lot a year ago. I've seen an 8 row 36" like that too, a 950 too. Not many of them in this area anyway. 

This is a factory unit I believe. 

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing/for-sale/227326591/1994-case-ih-950-planters-planting-equipment

1994 CASE IH 950 Used Planters for sale

1 hour ago, acem said:

A neighbor pulled a 16 row kinze home (Western Arkansas) from south Dakota.

Be careful and you'll be fine 

I gotta know, how long did that take? I can't imagine SD to W. AR at 15mph would be any fun. 

Mac

12 minutes ago, MacAR said:

I gotta know, how long did that take? I can't imagine SD to W. AR at 15mph would be any fun. 

Mac

I’ve had some Kinze planters pulled quite a ways. They were all pulled at least 45 mph the whole way. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I’ve had some Kinze planters pulled quite a ways. They were all pulled at least 45 mph the whole way. 

No kidding? I admit I pulled my haybine about 40 miles from where I bought to the house, and ran around 50mph with it. Did the same for my baler, had no trouble from either. F250 pulled them just fine, just like any other trailer that I've pulled. So a big machine like that probably wouldn't be too bad. 

Mac

23 minutes ago, MacAR said:

No kidding? I admit I pulled my haybine about 40 miles from where I bought to the house, and ran around 50mph with it. Did the same for my baler, had no trouble from either. F250 pulled them just fine, just like any other trailer that I've pulled. So a big machine like that probably wouldn't be too bad. 

Mac

Just pulled a round baler 70 miles home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 801486 said:

If there's an implement dealer or someone else nearby with a dock you can pull a flatbed trailer sideways to the dock and back the planter on.  I have pulled a 12 row front 50 miles home with no problems other than that it was very tongue heavy.  And it turned out there were only cylinder blocks on two of the four wheels so two wheels were carrying it all.  Is your planter a three point that was converted to pull type?  I've never seen vertical fold pull type like that.

Yes. The farmer I bought it from said it was converted from 3pt to draw bar.

• Like 1

I just pulled a 950, vertical fold, 36", 8 row home 65 miles this spring with a Chevy 2500HD and it was not fun. Took 6 hours going 10-15 mph, greasing the wheel bearings every hour. Any faster and it will start to sway. Luckily most shoulders were in good shape but every vehicle that passed was tight. I had to go through Cascade towards the beginning, no way around it, and that was definitely not fun. They had curbs on their streets and had to avoid knocking down street signs.

Your call but 215 miles is a two day trip, white knuckle the whole way, in my experience.

The thing everyone's forgetting is these planters don't have greasable tapered bearings.  They're tiny sealed roller bearings. I just spend 2 hours tonight doing 2 wheels,  4 bearings...... no way I'd pull an IH cyclo more than 25 miles from home without LOTS of blocking, jacks, and tools.

11 hours ago, MacAR said:

Mac

I think it took him three days.

45 MPH behind a freightliner.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, acem said:

I think it took him three days.

45 MPH behind a freightliner.

Well at least he didn't have to pay for a hotel that way. Just pull over, crawl in the sleeper and get some rest and carry on in the daylight. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!

Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I was able to find a 8x28 Donahue that I bought and just put new tires on, greased the wheel bearings along have a spare tire and rim. 

I will have the farmer back the planter on the trailer, put the wings down and then remove the draw bar for transport.

I plan to chain it down with ratchet binders as well as put orange flags on the rear with magnetic LED light pucks all around.

Any things else I am not thinking of? Any words of wisdom?