From dry to soaked in a week

We had very little moisture all winter,other than a 2 1/2" rain in February that all ran off the frozen ground. Now we have had 4 1/2" in a week from three different storms with more predicted for the next 6 days. I wish we could spread the moisture out a little more but it is what it is. Just wondering how long it will be before we can run again.

Quit hogging it all! Lisa said that we got a shower this morning but not enough to register in the gauge 

In KY I always say we are 2 weeks away from a flood or a drought!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We've been getting some rains here too. No gully washers yet though. Dry as it has been, everything has soaked right in for the most part. When Dan was moving dirt the other day I was amazed at how dry the sub-soil was!

NW Iowa, we got 0.65” again overnight.  I think we are over 8” in the last 3 weeks.  A little dry weather would be welcome for the next month to get the crops in now. 

• Like 1

This last Monday guys were working ground around here. Monday night into Tuesday we got close to an inch on all that worked ground. Today guys were planting direct into that "stale" seed bed. Understand they want to get their corn before this next five days of forecasted precip, but I would be more concerned about the compaction they could be doing 

On 5/2/2024 at 8:00 AM, from H to 80 said:

We had very little moisture all winter,other than a 2 1/2" rain in February that all ran off the frozen ground. Now we have had 4 1/2" in a week from three different storms with more predicted for the next 6 days. I wish we could spread the moisture out a little more but it is what it is. Just wondering how long it will be before we can run again.

We got pretty much had the same storms as you, here. Soil is saturated and started to run off with the last storm. It’s raining lightly here now.

Just had a tornado warning expire here. Not much wind until after it expired and then wind picked up and hail and rain started. The hail stopped about as fast as it started, but the rain was crazy. Letting up to a heavy drizzle, probably had an inch and a half to two inches in about 20 minutes.

• Sad 1

Bad storms and hail to my South since about 4 today with some 2-3" hail in some spots. Just some showers here, no wind thank goodness. 

We haven't been in the field for over a week and a half. I have lost track of how much rain we have had, but thank goodness no flooding. 

Would like to get in the fields, but the ground seems to be two days from being fit. Then it rains, and wait again!

But last year I didn't plant until the 24th, and the yields turned out super. So, I guess I will just be patient 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farmerboy72 said:

Would like to get in the fields, but the ground seems to be two days from being fit. Then it rains, and wait again!

But last year I didn't plant until the 24th, and the yields turned out super. So, I guess I will just be patient 

More like 4 plus days around here.  Wet to the very top of the topsoil layer.  The weather outlook for the next couple of weeks is unsettled.  

On 5/7/2024 at 5:21 PM, DT Fan said:

We got about half an inch of rain last night. Wind blew like crazy! Found an escaping rim this morning. It was in the corn crib. 

IMG_3095.jpeg

Corn crib I think you mean tire shop 😁

I planted soybeans Saturday afternoon and about half a day Sunday before being rained out. We did get some spraying done too. There’s still several acres left around here to plant. I wish I would have run harder earlier, but was nervous about doing too much that early. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have planted it all in March. 

We are getting closer!! Had .25 a week ago. Had another .15 on Wednesday, I think. Had another.15 yesterday, and Lisa says it’s sprinkling again. Amazingly the grass is still looking good. Ponds are in bad shape, but critters can water at the house. 

50 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I planted soybeans Saturday afternoon and about half a day Sunday before being rained out. We did get some spraying done too. There’s still several acres left around here to plant. I wish I would have run harder earlier, but was nervous about doing too much that early. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have planted it all in March. 

The hill ground was probably dry enough yesterday but i took off for Mother's day and well, because it was Sunday. The river bottoms all flooded so we've got at least a week to ten days before we can get in them,oh and it's raining here again.

• Like 2