How can you break so much *$+% without even trying?

DT Fan

DD, sadly we're never too old, or experienced to do stuff like that! Back on November 30th I injured my right middle finger, really good! Was taking the center out of an Allis wheel. Running the impact with the left hand, tried to hold the bolt with my right. Rectangular headed, it spun, ran my finger between the bolt-head and something else. It was UGLY! Probably should have went to the ER, didn't. Put a band aide on, maybe gauze? Neosporin and strapping tape, went to work.Really didn't bleed like I thought it would, knew the nail was a lost cause, just a matter of time. Took about 10-12 days before I got brave enough to cut it off. That was 5 plus months ago, nail is back and looking pretty normal. Fingertip is still a little misshapen. Slightly numb also but could be worse.

4 hours ago, New Englander said:

Mowing yesterday, deck stopped and idler pulley shot out in front of me. Aftermarket pulley left hub in place and the rest departed company. Need 5", TSC only has 4" so waiting on Amazon. There's always something to fix!

Wow, something similar happened to me too. 2 pulleys stripped out centers, shaft splines are half missing, so I farmer fixed it. I might be dangerous with a torch or welder around 😁

Mark 

IMG_20240501_161826606_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Just came in for a little liquid refreshment, 782-1 is mowing like a champ again! Had the great tractor rodeo here today and didn't break anything, yet!

• Like 1

follow me around and you can see stuff break itself!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!! The new 2444 steering went out , never got done mowing the waterways either,. new 504 got massive hyd valve leak and one down along the side. CC Z-force 48 burned up the electric clutch, all the switches, and the fuse never blew but was defective also. NOW battery is junk in it! Need I go on with the junk I have to put up with???!! lol! 

Gonna deep six all of this junk and call it quits!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

Wow, something similar happened to me too. 2 pulleys stripped out centers, shaft splines are half missing, so I farmer fixed it. I might be dangerous with a torch or welder around 😁

Mark 

IMG_20240501_161826606_HDR.jpg

That's the kind of pulley it should have - two halves riveted together with the bearing in the middle. This one was a single piece of stamped steel with the bearing pressed in a recess. I was going to farmer fix but as soon as I lightly tacked it together the heat made the bearing fall out, so I gave up and ordered the proper pulley and found something else to do.

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Breaking stuff is part and parcel to running old junk equipment. You're supposed to trade everything in every two years.

It takes that long to work the bugs out of the new stuff. Why trade just when you've learned how to keep it going?

• Like 4

Dad did not have a good day today. 

He called me about 5:30.  Said he was in the 1486 and could not manage to open either of the doors to get out.  He went out disking and came back in.  Could not seem to put the shifter in park , so he shut it off in gear.  Then could not get out.  I was an hour away from being home, so suggested that he just go play with the disk some more.  Well, he had been in the tractor for 3 hours with the blower and radio on and it was too weak to crank over to start....  I arrived home and he was sitting in his pickup.   Apparently,  opening the 2 vent windows for ventilation  released enough cabin pressure and he was able to pop one of the doors open at last!  

The 856 had dead batteries, he had left the key on last week and run the batteries down.  So, he had the charger on it.  

This, however, was not the worst event of his day...    Prior to his discovery of the dead batteries on the 856, he had backed the 1206 and the planter outside to make room to pull the 856 sprayer rig out to finish the corn ground.   He turned too short as he backed out and ran the LH row unit into my International 140 sitting to the west of the door a few feet.  Realizing the contact,  he jammed on the clutch.  However,  he was unsuccessful at stopping the momentum of the tractor.... The planter shoved the row unit frame into the hood just ahead of the muffler .  The lower unit smashed into the front tire.  The planter proceeded to shove the 140 around 45 degrees from where it started,  tires goughing furrows in the grass.  The hood is caved in and the top bracket for the generator is bent.   Could have been so much worse!    The row unit on the 7000 is destroyed.   The unit is buckled right at the seed tube. The lower unit bent clear in almost to the transport tire.  The upper frame is distorted and destroyed the seed box.  Had to pry the corn unit out of the twisted frame above the mangled seed tube.  So, I tore much of it apart tonight and made a list of parts.   

In Dad's defense, I have been unhappy with how the clutch and transmission brake were set on that tractor since last spring when the dealer installed the new clutch. I had always meant to adjust it....   Handled that tonight:  set clutch,  TA, and transmission brake linkage this evening and now Dad has no trouble stopping the tractor or shifting.   What a day.......

The aftermath:

20240506_185825.jpg

20240506_185753.jpg

20240506_185810.jpg

20240506_185805.jpg

7000 planter

20240506_185838.thumb.jpg.cdb9e924b5f6cfe9c7bf6d6d9d83f54d.jpg

20240506_185845.thumb.jpg.1b7536cbc1b42f95f7fc7b33489573e8.jpg

20240506_185859.thumb.jpg.70fdc3bdf35832ba6636b5bfb579d319.jpg

20240506_211951.thumb.jpg.50ed0a8846c74912d8a8699ffdead509.jpg

• Sad 3

Well my nite wasn't so bad by comparison.....wife said her car was acting up. I had noticed battery was getting old and terminals were in need of cleaning. Text diagnosis left me thinking tonight was the nite. Stopped at inlaws after work to look at a fuel leak problem on the super H. Warped sediment bowl housing, leaking packing nut and fuel line fitting. Made a plan with fil to look at it more Wed. Left for a battery and get a call when I'm halfway across town. Fil pickup won't shut off. Head back and tear column partially apart. Finally had to pull 2 wire plug at coil pack and unhook battery till I can research it and get back. 2nd attempt at battery was successful. Batt swap went ok tho terminals were worse than I realized. So in between helping put in some garden and other chores I was done about 8. Shower and fall asleep. Woke up to tornado warnings and hear sirens going off in town a couple miles away. This around 2 am. Blew thru and no serious damage that I can tell but out of power currently.  Storm seems to be picking back up tho. More lightning and thunder again. 

Wow Aaron that was a bad day, hate to say there comes a time when they aren't aware or safe anymore and we hate to admit it, my dad will be 88 this summer and has never had a ticket or at fault accident but I notice rubs on his car now, a few years ago I got a MF 1135, I'll repent to my RP brethren, and sent him out to try baling, within 2 rounds he comes by with his earmuffs on and the side window folded back in half against the cab, I had done the outside rounds but he must have tagged something turning 🤷‍♂️ i just chalked it up to karma and payback for my youth but he is getting close to removing his driving privileges which coming from rural is really your freedom and independence which is not forfeited easily.

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

Wow Aaron that was a bad day, hate to say there comes a time when they aren't aware or safe anymore and we hate to admit it

🤷‍♂️ i just chalked it up to karma and payback for my youth but he is getting close to removing his driving privileges which coming from rural is really your freedom and independence which is not forfeited easily.

He was so afraid that I would be angry with him.  I told him that as long as he was safe, the iron could be repaired.   I reminisced about a time years ago that Dad arrived home to find I had kinked the unloading auger on the grinder mixer at the elbow.  Hungry hogs wanting feed and the machine was down.  As I recall, we scooped feed out of the mixer into 5 gallon buckets and dumped them into the hog feeder to fill their hungry bellies that evening.  This too shall pass.  $267. Order from Shoup and a used row unit frame from work will fix it up.  Be ready to roll when the fields dry out!!!!

Guess Dad called a retired body man that goes to our church.   He will straighten the hood for me.

• Like 5

I spend my weekends following behind Dad fixing what he's broken. As his illness progresses so do the instances. Last Saturday he pulled the UTV out of the shed and drove straight into the enclosed trailer. Glanced off and said "thought I had more room". Dove away from the trailer and over a row of flower pots. Drove across the driveway and rammed head on into the chicken coop before stopping. When it came time to put it away he missed the tailgate on my truck by an inch. Backed into the shed and rammed the back window into the sprayer. He's looking forward to spring work. 😵 

I can easily tell where he's been even when I wasn't there. I hate to have to pull keys but... How do I tell him? His last wish is to plant one more year and see the crops come up before he passes. I don't know if we can afford to have him behind the wheel of anything right now. This is hard. Stressful.

I've been reading this thread trying not to post but... Thanks for letting me vent everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

😢 I never met any of you in person ( the peaking around a corner, looking over my shoulder emoji I have never seen) but I think you could be talking about me. No new dents but several "Oh that could have been bad" episodes.

Have a old NH swather to cut hay with. Last season radiator was leaking bad, got our 60 acres cut. Sent the radiator to get a new core put in. A rear tire blow just sitting in the yard. It was just a passenger car radial that was on the machine 20 years, but still just sitting. Put the repaired radiator in and put it away. Grease and trim a acre around the yard, put in the field 1 hour it is hot again. Water pump is leaking. NH parts book doesn't cover things like the Ford water pump. So get the pump out about 5 on Friday evening. Nobody in town had a book for a Ford 250 industrial engine.  One of the old guys at NAPA found a old book. So ordered for Monday by noon. It was the right one in by late afternoon. But discover oil cooler hose was dripping after the 2 hour run time. Napa has some hose and my wife was already in town ( town is 15 miles away). So by 10 on Tuesday, we are back in the field. By noon a bolt broke in a section on the knife. Will take a week to cut 30 acres at this rate.

• Sad 3

Was bush hogging yesterday with 756 gas. Seen to have amiss at higher rpm's and when on a pull. Not sure what I'm getting into there. Waiting to get it home to check it out.

Stripped the mangled row unit of any useful parts and even managed to save the row sensor off the mangled seed tube.  Just hanging on the planter by 2 loose bolts tonight.  Replacement row unit in my pickup and new parts on the way from Shoup.  Had 2 little storms roll through tonight as I was working in the shed. 

20240507_201521.jpg

20240507_203718.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, 5288IH said:

Known as the Errol Flynn touch, what you touch you F$%K. Frankly dear i do not give a damn.

Sounds like the "Reverse Midas Touch"

On 5/6/2024 at 8:52 PM, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Dad did not have a good day today. 

He called me about 5:30.  Said he was in the 1486 and could not manage to open either of the doors to get out.  He went out disking and came back in.  Could not seem to put the shifter in park , so he shut it off in gear.  Then could not get out.  I was an hour away from being home, so suggested that he just go play with the disk some more.  Well, he had been in the tractor for 3 hours with the blower and radio on and it was too weak to crank over to start....  I arrived home and he was sitting in his pickup.   Apparently,  opening the 2 vent windows for ventilation  released enough cabin pressure and he was able to pop one of the doors open at last!  

The 856 had dead batteries, he had left the key on last week and run the batteries down.  So, he had the charger on it.  

This, however, was not the worst event of his day...    Prior to his discovery of the dead batteries on the 856, he had backed the 1206 and the planter outside to make room to pull the 856 sprayer rig out to finish the corn ground.   He turned too short as he backed out and ran the LH row unit into my International 140 sitting to the west of the door a few feet.  Realizing the contact,  he jammed on the clutch.  However,  he was unsuccessful at stopping the momentum of the tractor.... The planter shoved the row unit frame into the hood just ahead of the muffler .  The lower unit smashed into the front tire.  The planter proceeded to shove the 140 around 45 degrees from where it started,  tires goughing furrows in the grass.  The hood is caved in and the top bracket for the generator is bent.   Could have been so much worse!    The row unit on the 7000 is destroyed.   The unit is buckled right at the seed tube. The lower unit bent clear in almost to the transport tire.  The upper frame is distorted and destroyed the seed box.  Had to pry the corn unit out of the twisted frame above the mangled seed tube.  So, I tore much of it apart tonight and made a list of parts.   

In Dad's defense, I have been unhappy with how the clutch and transmission brake were set on that tractor since last spring when the dealer installed the new clutch. I had always meant to adjust it....   Handled that tonight:  set clutch,  TA, and transmission brake linkage this evening and now Dad has no trouble stopping the tractor or shifting.   What a day.......

The aftermath:

20240506_185825.jpg

20240506_185753.jpg

20240506_185810.jpg

20240506_185805.jpg

7000 planter

20240506_185838.thumb.jpg.cdb9e924b5f6cfe9c7bf6d6d9d83f54d.jpg

20240506_185845.thumb.jpg.1b7536cbc1b42f95f7fc7b33489573e8.jpg

20240506_185859.thumb.jpg.70fdc3bdf35832ba6636b5bfb579d319.jpg

20240506_211951.thumb.jpg.50ed0a8846c74912d8a8699ffdead509.jpg

With utmost respect....

This is why we rarely let dad operate machinery.  Reacts too slow and leaves keys on or things in gear etc.  Just feel we are all safer.  He dont seem to care at least.

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

With utmost respect....

This is why we rarely let dad operate machinery.  Reacts too slow and leaves keys on or things in gear etc.  Just feel we are all safer.  He dont seem to care at least.

Yeah. I find myself wondering how the guy scaring the bejeezus out of me daily taught me to drive and operate equipment. 

• Haha 1

We were all young once....and if we are lucky, will be old someday too.

I understand the safety aspect, but to some, the ability to at least do a semblance of what they once did, is a vital thing for their self respect and mental well being. Hopefully a compromise in activity will keep all healthy and happy. 

• Like 5

My dad will be 70 next year. He is losing his confidence. He could still do anything, but he doesn’t trust himself on some things anymore. It’s hard because he is still a lot better than any of the other guys that work here. I remember when his dad said he just couldn’t do it anymore. You can’t replace them. 

• Like 3