Who can find the problem?!

Farmerboy72

Getting things ready for this spring, hope to be planting next week. But in the meantime:

Gonna post a little quiz for ya guys and gals.

What is wrong with the planter?

Clue 1: has to do with last year crop's uneven emergence. 

IMG_20240428_103355314.thumb.jpg.51a760e33c70e6e2d5c0062d1e60e642.jpg

3 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

Does the tounge need lowered ?  Appears as though the rear & front parallel linkage are not the same angles, but i dont know. 

Got it on the first guess!!

Was afraid I would get complaints about this being to hard!

Last year, my soybeans in The front six were 1/4 inch shallower than the back seven. Just enough that they didn't get  any moisture for three weeks. The back seven rows were in moisture. Made for interesting looking bean fields last year!

2 hours ago, Farmerboy72 said:

Got it on the first guess!!

Was afraid I would get complaints about this being to hard!

Last year, my soybeans in The front six were 1/4 inch shallower than the back seven. Just enough that they didn't get  any moisture for three weeks. The back seven rows were in moisture. Made for interesting looking bean fields last year!

I guess I don't see how that will matter front to back. The depth wheels set the seed depth. If the planter is tongue high, it will rock the row unit nose up also,  thus making it plant shallower because the opener is slightly infront of the gauge wheel.

If nose up is causing more pressure on the rear units and making them go deeper than front, then that's a down pressure problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, from H to 80 said:

i had one of those 6818 planters,they did a really nice job but were hard to work on and even grease.

It's a lot easier to work on now, if you notice, the middle row is missing. It is now a 15" row planter

2 hours ago, Farmerboy72 said:

It's a lot easier to work on now, if you notice, the middle row is missing. It is now a 15" row planter

I thought something looked different,it's been a while. do you ever have trouble with the seed fill tubes choking.

1 hour ago, from H to 80 said:

I thought something looked different,it's been a while. do you ever have trouble with the seed fill tubes choking.

Started using talc with the seed, pretty well solved that problem