Little Genius gold demonstrator

ny bill o

after using the L G at plow day, I got it cleaned off and painted the moldboards for the year. Marden's in Maine was selling spray paint cheap when I was there, and gold was this year's winner.😉😀

KIMG0704.thumb.JPG.f563c59ffe6b8f6a7e68e2efd37041f5.JPG

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Chester5732 said:

Looks nice!!   I would like to find one like that in 2/12’s. 

actually it is 2-12s. only one I have, the rest are 2 and 3-14s

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ny bill o said:

after using the L G at plow day, I got it cleaned off and painted the moldboards for the year. Marden's in Maine was selling spray paint cheap when I was there, and gold was this year's winner.😉😀

Great stuff at Marden’s! 

• Like 1

So

Till the internet I had never seen anyone paint their plows in the winter.  90% just sit along the machinery row.  Whats the logic?  I will do 1 500' pass and back with the 165 and they will all be shiny anyways.  

4 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

So

Till the internet I had never seen anyone paint their plows in the winter.  90% just sit along the machinery row.  Whats the logic?  I will do 1 500' pass and back with the 165 and they will all be shiny anyways.  

Soil type. Some places where it's sandy you can get away with that. Around here it takes forever to make them shiny if they aren't that way to begin with. Once I have one shined up I make sure they stay that way. Not a big fan of stopping every time the plow is lifted to scrape the moldboards off.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

So

I can get away with one year unpainted/greased. Problem comes with 3 or more years between uses. Prime example- C sat inside, unpainted, since plow day 2019. I have a gravel pit floor that will start the scouring process, but painting is a lot easier.

KIMG0646.thumb.JPG.3ae7e0f7e4024da2ed16c602956a33fc.JPG

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

So

Paint was easier than grease.

I always painted my plows when done for the season as it sat outside year-round.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 6:05 PM, ny bill o said:

You could put it in the bill for the next consignment auction as "Rare"!

• Haha 2

Mardens in Auburn? They have so much stuff there

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChrisNY said:

We always hit up the Ellsworth store 

I always have painted my bottoms. Royal Blue was the same price as any other color. They shine up nice if they have to sit outside. @Chester5732 Canadian built plows are adjustable from 8" to 14" and have adjustable handle height, and finer adjustment for depth control. The single furrow shown is an American plow though. We didn't build such an animal. It is a single 18". We sold 2 furrows and up. 

IMG_20230820_1743524.jpg

IMG_20230822_1853056.jpg

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, ChrisNY said:

that's the one we went to.

"I should have bought it when I saw it at Marden's".

I even came home one year with a bag of Agway field corn. Shoes, bolt type hardware, tools, clothes. We usually made it a day after arriving in Maine before we hit Marden's.

8 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

I even came home one year with a bag of Agway field corn. Shoes, bolt type hardware, tools, clothes. We usually made it a day after arriving in Maine before we hit Marden's.

Yes, they have quite a ……variety….of stuff there. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

I'm going to have to put that place on my list. Auburn is a bit out of the way, but sounds like my kind of place

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KWRB said:

Why not clear coat them, so they look more or less the same after plowing?

Interesting!

If I'm relatively certain the plow will get used withing the next year, and it's stored indoors, I coat them with Justice Brothers chain lube. It's good and sticky but comes off really easy when it hits the dirt. Have had till-coat hang on for the whole plow day. Current practice; If it was till-coated and has set for who knows how long, it gets removed before going to the field.

On 4/28/2024 at 6:05 PM, ny bill o said:

Looks like you plowed at the end of the Rainbow Bill!  LOL

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Thanks for answers.  Id say 90% of plows sit out here too.  And 0% have grease or paint on them.  

It's the same around here. This is the first time I ever heard of painting the plow bottoms. Our soil is so abrasive that a couple hundred feet will shine up a plow. Anything that goes in the ground, tiller tines, edger blades, plows, discs, auger bits, whatever, wears out very quickly.

• Like 1

When I was young many of the old guys were very particular about coating tillage equipment. When I got older, I was busy and stopped doing it. I can’t tell any difference “here” between painting plows vs. no paint. Rusty moldboards will scour in no time. I have heard this is not the case everywhere, but have never experienced it first hand. 

• Like 1