484 hyd/drive issues

T484

I have an early 80s IH484. I started having hydraulic issues to my pto. Shortly after, my steering went stiff and it started slipping. When investigating the problem, I found the small transfer pump intake screen in the frame had been nearly clogged which eventually ruined the pump. (My opinion). I found a rubber plug in the middle plate in the frame was deteriorating. So I cleaned it up and replaced the main pump. This fixed everything except the slipping. It seems to slip without much resistance in all but low 1st. What am I missing? Is it a coincidence and the clutch just happened to go out at the same time?

If it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all

PTO slipping ?
steering stiff - also slipping ?
transfer pump failed
big plug falling apart
clutch slipping

So, the transfer pump keeps the area that the main pump gets oil from filled . The screen plugging on the transfer pump is usually from driving with the park brake on , shedding the lining . The PTO oil supply is the return from the steering , so when the steering is failing , the PTO will have problems first . Old age gets that large rubber plug , you can replace it with a rubber expansion plug .

Pump -- you replaced the transfer pump , and the main pump ?
Slipping -- you have free travel in the clutch pedal ?

This should be updated to the zero clearance pedal , when you install the new clutch
easy todo with the addition of the small spring and plastic plate on the throw out bearing

Let me start with, I have been in the maintenance field for several years now, not necessarily tractor but mechanical engineering AND I have asked for help a few times. YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND WORDING IS SECOND TO NONE!

I tried to repair the main pump myself, the pump was super tight. So, I reversed the bushing and it freed up. I reinstalled it to get no difference. Then, I bought a new pump, not oem quality, but new. Definitely better results but it still slips. Hydraulics seem better but not oem, like 90% of oem. So i was excited but it still slips in movement. High range slips bad, low first, /maybe second, pulls normal until descent resistance, steep hill.

clutch pedal seems to engage and disengage properly with proper clearance on both ends

10 hours ago, T484 said:

Let me start with, I have been in the maintenance field for several years now, not necessarily tractor but mechanical engineering AND I have asked for help a few times. YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND WORDING IS SECOND TO NONE!

I tried to repair the main pump myself, the pump was super tight. So, I reversed the bushing and it freed up. I reinstalled it to get no difference. Then, I bought a new pump, not oem quality, but new. Definitely better results but it still slips. Hydraulics seem better but not oem, like 90% of oem. So i was excited but it still slips in movement. High range slips bad, low first, /maybe second, pulls normal until descent resistance, steep hill.

clutch pedal seems to engage and disengage properly with proper clearance on both ends

High range slipping bad and low good for a bit is same symptoms I have seen on the 495 when the clutch was worn out. 

11 hours ago, 495man said:

High range slipping bad and low good for a bit is same symptoms I have seen on the 495 when the clutch was worn out. 

Im going to order a clutch and start there, hopefully end there. Thanks 

On our 464 with the D179 engine the rear main seal was leaking enough to make the main clutch slip in any gear greater than 1 high.  Didn't have anything to do with the PTO slipping because the pto is driven from the pressure plate that is driven directly with the flywheel. The PTO slipped because the thrust bearing was totally worn out and it PTO disk pack did not make a non-slipping connection so all of the friction disks were worn out.

Some tractors need a lot of work, our 464 was one of the that group.

Good luck with your machine, we are about ready for another overhaul cycle. Something about a rear wheel that doesn't hold air!