Flat top Fender repair or source

I'm getting close to being done with my Cummins, 706 but I need to either fix or replace the left side fender.  The fender was mangled when I got the tractor and I tried to bend it back with the skid steer, but it still doesn't look great so I'm wondering if anyone has had luck having a fender repaired by a body shop (or using some other means than bending it with pallet forks) and if not, if anyone can point me to a better deal than the new aftermarket fenders I see online.

I'm driving up to east-central PA in mid June for the Red Power Showdown at the Bloomsburg Fairgrounds, so if anyone knows of a good fender that's for sale along the way I would appreciate the tip (and likewise, if my bent fender is good enough for you and you want it, please let me know).

IMG_20240425_095354347.jpg

IMG_20240425_095406179.jpg

IMG_20240425_095420344.jpg

I've never been good at working with sheet metal (or finish carpentry, or paint, or really anything that requires finesse), but your pictures are inspiring.  My instinct is to go from pallet forks to the backhoe, but based on your picture and the notion that the right way to do something like this is the opposite of what first pops into my head, I'll get some blocks and the bottle jack out.

• Like 1

Lol.  That chain and draw pin were for going out the door to my skidsteer with a   clevis in the cutting edge, to pull on.  I actually used about a dozen pieces of 6x6 post, stacked up like cribbing and cut to fit inside of the fender too. But still didn’t have an afternoon invested into the pair.

053CB490-78D9-4761-9340-FBE7B67C0110.thumb.jpeg.95e7f8c9619adfaa03e88383894b42b5.jpeg

• Like 1

That hand hold can be straightened by hammering "off dolly". Place a heavy backer underneath like another hammer or wood block. Tap...TAP!... off to the side of your backer. Hammering "on dolly" (head to head with the steel between) will stretch the metal more. Don't get heavy handed. Hard pounding will not be helpful. Thus why I stressed tapping. Hit too hard and you'll stretch it the other way. Should almost seem like you are doing nothing and all of a sudden you did. I enjoy the process actually but have a friend who is much better at it than I. He is where I learned from. He used to work at a shop where they hand formed panels to restore Ferrari's and the like.

Don't look at it too closely, but I think I got the fender about as good as I can!  I didn't have my phone with me, but it involved the hammering technique described above as well as parking the tractor on the fender and pushing/pulling with the skid steer and pallet forks.

Now I just need to get it to stop wobbling - the right hand side had a longer U bolt which tightened up nicely, but the left side was too short, so I welded some threaded rod to the ends of it but it just won't cinch down as tight as the other side.  Maybe the OEM U bolt is heat treated?  Is there a part number for a longer legged U bolt?

IMG_20240501_195731703.thumb.jpg.7032ea27b31ef0b5f8d977919b1c62da.jpgIMG_20240501_195454766.thumb.jpg.9c63f171b806cfaffe23700d6b2b5226.jpgIMG_20240501_195421099_HDR.thumb.jpg.f192391c4c18e9a83a0ae3dce2c53972.jpg

• Like 1

That’s a lot better than it was.  Maybe you’ll decide to revisit it again on a rainy day if you every want it better.

Are both fenders sitting flat on the axle? The correct u bolts are nice, but about anything should work 

Fender looks perfectly acceptable.   Why worry about the U-bolt?  Follow the Iron Bull ROPS instructions--- unbolt the fender shell from the lower mounting bracket, drill a couple holes, and bolt the fender shell right to your ROPS.   Get some U bolts to go around the ROPS so you don't weld anything to it.   

2 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Fender looks perfectly acceptable.   Why worry about the U-bolt?  Follow the Iron Bull ROPS instructions--- unbolt the fender shell from the lower mounting bracket, drill a couple holes, and bolt the fender shell right to your ROPS.   Get some U bolts to go around the ROPS so you don't weld anything to it.   

Thanks!  I thought of mounting them directly to the ROPS, but I like having more room around the platform and I don't like that look as much.  The instructions that come with the ROPS say to either do that or put spacers under the original fender brackets and attach them the way I've done (I used solid block of steel instead of the spacers they sell).  As long as it doesn't rattle too much or fall off while I'm haying, I'll probably just ignore it.

5 hours ago, chevenstein said:

Thanks!  I thought of mounting them directly to the ROPS, but I like having more room around the platform and I don't like that look as much.  The instructions that come with the ROPS say to either do that or put spacers under the original fender brackets and attach them the way I've done (I used solid block of steel instead of the spacers they sell).  As long as it doesn't rattle too much or fall off while I'm haying, I'll probably just ignore it.

I just don't like floppy fenders!   I understand the spacing though.   Suggestion - just make a small bracket that bolts to a hole on the fender, and goes over to the ROPS.   It can be a simple as a 1/4x 1 flat iron bent into a C or Z,  and a 3/8" U-bolt (or plate & bolts) around the ROPS.   It will significantly remove wobble and take a lot of pressure off the bolt around the axle too.

I straighten them while there on the tractor with my skidloader and pallet forks and have had very good luck 👍 

Danny