361 white smoke

My 806 seems to have elected a new pope; white smoke is coming out especially as I idle it down. I also noticed oil on the left side of the engine that hadn’t ever been there before. Blowby seems more than I’m used to, but I couldn’t get it to show up on camera. Do I have just a head gasket issue? Or could I be needing a major? I would like to plan how long it will be down…

IMG_7928.jpeg

IMG_7930.jpeg

IMG_7931.jpeg

May have a leaking injector

Have you ever had the injectors pressure tested ?

Do you notice a miss or unevenness in the engine exhaust sound ?

Blow-by should dissipate about a foot below the vent tube
if it blows all the way to the ground -- then start to be concerned

5 hours ago, brewcrew said:

My 806 seems to have elected a new pope; white smoke is coming out especially as I idle it down. I also noticed oil on the left side of the engine that hadn’t ever been there before. Blowby seems more than I’m used to, but I couldn’t get it to show up on camera. Do I have just a head gasket issue? Or could I be needing a major? I would like to plan how long it will be down…

IMG_7928.jpeg

IMG_7930.jpeg

IMG_7931.jpeg

Usually when I see that and verify it by smell being fuel.smoke, it shouts a low compression cylinder to me. The blowby makes me almost sure of it.  

33 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

I bet your governor ring is failing.

Oil on side of motor is unrelated. Leaky tappet covers,  valve cover or oil tube.

Governor ring? As in fuel pump? It got a rebuilt pump a few years back 

31 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

Governor ring? As in fuel pump? It got a rebuilt pump a few years back 

Yes, but I'm guessing the new pump had the updated metal ring installed. 

White smoke is unburnt fuel, either from timing or low compression. If you can verify timing is correct, time to start cracking injector lines to see which cylinder it is.

Also, does it smoke like this when it's up to temp, Or just cold?

actually, it does, when the return line plugs up the advance can for to full retard, therefore white smoke. I think this one has an injector issue though, he said pump was recently rebuilt. 

1 hour ago, Injpumped said:

actually, it does, when the return line plugs up the advance can for to full retard, therefore white smoke. I think this one has an injector issue though, he said pump was recently rebuilt. 

It still pulls good, and appears to have a little white smoke in with the black under load. The white smoke is most noticeable when idling after hard pulls.

Update- I wouldn’t say it smells sweet, but definitely doesn’t smell like excess fuel like I would get at a tractor pull. But when I was moving equipment around I noticed a bunch of oil on the exhaust, and it appears to have come from inside the exhaust. I assume the M&W turbo puked. Is there a decent replacement option? Or do I have to try to get this one rebuilt? I don’t know if that is the entire problem, but it’s currently the most obvious first place to start!

I would remove the intake casting from between the turbo & the cylinder head, and see if it is oily inside, if the turbo seal has indeed gone out & is putting engine oil into the intake.

48 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

Update- I wouldn’t say it smells sweet, but definitely doesn’t smell like excess fuel like I would get at a tractor pull. But when I was moving equipment around I noticed a bunch of oil on the exhaust, and it appears to have come from inside the exhaust. I assume the M&W turbo puked. Is there a decent replacement option? Or do I have to try to get this one rebuilt? I don’t know if that is the entire problem, but it’s currently the most obvious first place to start!

That could be just unburnt fuel mixed with soot and looks like oil.I would pull injectors before worry about the turbo but that's just me.Maybe you already did that.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jacka said:

That could be just unburnt fuel mixed with soot and looks like oil.I would pull injectors before worry about the turbo but that's just me.Maybe you already did that.

I've had a turbo seal go, They'll blow oil out the exhaust pipe. If it leaking out the flanges below turbo, it's virtually impossible for turbo oil to get down there while running. Most likely culprit is unburnt fuel leaking out manifold seams. Take it out and work it like a dog!!!! If it's still leaking after a good flogging you most likely have a bad injector.

• Like 1

Check the crankcase vent tube - be sure it is open

how much blow by are you getting ?
normal for some to be seen
should not "blow" out tho

Check the air filter intake for blockage  -- bird nest
you have changed the filters in the last couple of years -- correct ?

Oil burning should smell just like that

Injection timing problems can make smoke also -- but should have the fuel smell

Wet stacking can happen under certain atmospheric conditions
and if the engine is idled a lot when cold
this will make slobber in the exhaust

• Like 2

I pulled it apart this afternoon and it had oil on the intake, and obvious slop on the turbo. So tomorrow I’m going to get a new turbo and put that on, clean things up and see where I’m at. I noticed the radiator is a bit low too, which could be unrelated to my problems, or could be a further problem. But for now I’m going to address one issue at a time. The turbo is definitely the easiest to fix.

• Like 1

By slop in the turbo -- want do you mean ?

normal to have some side movement in the shaft , the shaft runs on oil -- End slack should be very minimal
as long as the wheel does not touch the housing , should be good

turbos use centrifugal force to control the oil -- there are no "seals"
excess oil flow thru the bearings (wear) or a restriction of the return oil are a couple of causes of a leak

Leaking shaft "seals" are more commonly  caused by a restricted intake
-- dirty filters , bird nest in the filter intake

-- or too much blow by , or a restricted vent tube
this puts pressure on the oil return from the turbo , causing oil pooling at the bearings

I got the new turbo on yesterday, and planted 20 acres of corn with it last night. Of course I power washed everything on the engine really nice so I would see any fresh leaks, but after a few minutes running it started smoking under the hood really bad. I pulled the hood and it looks like just residual oil from inside the exhaust was burning off, but I left the hood off so I could see things better! So far it seems to be running as it should, though I haven’t put it under heavy load, and realistically won’t again until fall.