$@&!

vtfireman85

My experience has been just the opposite. First day my oldest drove to school (junior in high school…10 years ago) she tried to punch out one of those darn trailer hitches with her Honda Civic.  It didn’t work out.  Nice hole through bumper cover, condenser and radiator. 
It was a 9 year old car, I was surprised to see Honda logos on the new radiator and a/c parts  and lines.  Same shop I mentioned above.  

Sorry to hear Seth, my buddies Dad bought a brand new Chevy 1/2 ton in 75, my buddy was ecstatic a new vehicle and a bowtie, as soon as they got home his dad went into the shop grabbed a screwdriver and walked up to his new truck and scratched it, my buddy was mortified his dad looked over and said first blood is mine, it's made to work and the next time it won't hurt as bad 😳 to be honest he inflicted his damage between the cab and box not a high visibility location

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I am sort of glad it didn’t do more damage to the cab, might’ve if it was taller. So far my insurance experience has not been exactly negative but it seems like more hassle than necessary. 

......that would surely rot your socks, Seth.....especially that truck being a Ford....  And to add to our interesting conversation  t'other day  re new Ford trucks, and other very personal matters, ....the  chassis on these  new, to New Zealand   models, are high tensile ...the grade  of which I am uncertain....but any slight deviation from the chassis spec , following a ''bump,''...the chassis has to be replaced..

Hence the  insurance  premium  costs are as eye watering as the basic truck   price.......

Mike

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mike are you talking about the frames buckling? So as long as you don't haul much you should be fine 😳

I have a very low opinion on insurance companies of all types.

Years ago, in my previous life, my (now ex) wife was hit by someone (she was always having accidents). They had state farm insurance. Took it to an approved body shop. Got a call from the shop that they wanted to put used body parts on the car. They made arrangements for me to meet the adjuster to meet at the shop. He said they weren't paying for new parts and if I didn't like it to sue them. 

I didn't sue then but would now...

When we had kids we got bills from the hospital for a year after the delivery. The insurance company was slow to pay their part. I called the hospital several times and they said don't worry, it's common.

I could go on but it would just make me angry so I won't.

In my experience insurance companies are very generous at taking your money but stingy at letting it out.

Worst part is you are required by law or your bank to have it...

Thx-Ace 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, acem said:

I have a very low opinion on insurance companies of all types.

Years ago, in my previous life, my (now ex) wife was hit by someone (she was always having accidents). They had state farm insurance. Took it to an approved body shop. Got a call from the shop that they wanted to put used body parts on the car. They made arrangements for me to meet the adjuster to meet at the shop. He said they weren't paying for new parts and if I didn't like it to sue them. 

I didn't sue then but would now...

When we had kids we got bills from the hospital for a year after the delivery. The insurance company was slow to pay their part. I called the hospital several times and they said don't worry, it's common.

I could go on but it would just make me angry so I won't.

In my experience insurance companies are very generous at taking your money but stingy at letting it out.

Worst part is you are required by law or your bank to have it...

Thx-Ace 

'predators'   Ace......the list is as long as your  arm......Those basturds  are lurking every where...to help relieve you of your hard earned dollars...

,,,,they start with the old, wise and wealthy Family lawyer.....and the list works up from there......

Mike

• Thanks 1

I have a date with an adjuster tomorrow.. we shall see how that goes, i will be very agreeable as long as I get new Ford parts and no argument 

Just now, vtfireman85 said:

I have a date with an adjuster tomorrow.. we shall see how that goes, i will be very agreeable as long as I get new Ford parts and no argument 

That should be a very simple thing for you.

It HAD OEM Ford parts on it when it was built, AND continued to have them when it was crunched by the offending party.

Therefore it needs to be returned to the same (or better) condition WITH compensation for your loss of use for personal transportation, professional work duties, and volunteer firefighting responsibilities.  A Hyundai Accent rental is just not going to work in your instance.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Our local high quality body shop is dead set against aftermarket parts and has a display or OEM and aftermarket side by side. Of course not all aftermarket are bad but some are just dangerous.

Anyway, the shop's website has this guide to rights in NH:

https://www.bensautobody.com/consumer-guide/

10 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Good luck with that.  I managed a body shop for several years and have seen many times where vehicles that have not had their first oil change got aftermarket parts. Hopefully you have an insurance company that doesn’t advertise on TV. Those are the worst. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chester5732 said:

Good luck with that.  I managed a body shop for several years and have seen many times where vehicles that have not had their first oil change got aftermarket parts. Hopefully you have an insurance company that doesn’t advertise on TV. Those are the worst. 

I had what evolved into a raging battle with Progressive about that. We dropped that policy as soon as the policy was up. I ended up covering the difference out of pocket and got Subaru parts. All i got out of all my negotiating efforts was high blood pressure.

• Sad 1

I have heard horror stories about having to use Beer Can Certified Shops, a lack of parts, wait time on good shops and adjusters that will scrap a vehicle rather than fight to get it fixed.

The vehicle market is really in trouble.

The prices are crazy high and few people can afford to buy and most do not want that high payment, + interest. 

Inventory is piling up.

If wanting to buy a vehicle, wait a bit.

Things will get a lot cheaper and soon. Dealers will probably fail!

It will soon be a buyers market and don't take the first cheap offer you get.

A used dealer is having trouble selling vehicles that are under $5,000.00.

Thanks to inflation, eating has become first rather than a car payment.

I am keeping my old junk running with no payments.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I have heard horror stories about having to use Beer Can Certified Shops, a lack of parts, wait time on good shops and adjusters that will scrap a vehicle rather than fight to get it fixed.

The vehicle market is really in trouble.

The prices are crazy high and few people can afford to buy and most do not want that high payment, + interest. 

Inventory is piling up.

If wanting to buy a vehicle, wait a bit.

Things will get a lot cheaper and soon. Dealers will probably fail!

It will soon be a buyers market and don't take the first cheap offer you get.

A used dealer is having trouble selling vehicles that are under $5,000.00.

Thanks to inflation, eating has become first rather than a car payment.

I am keeping my old junk running with no payments.

Don’t count on prices dropping radically, with ten year notes on cars they can con anyone into what they can “afford” each month. Plus the government will just use YOUR money to prop up dealers…..

The adjuster came today, I have realized that of the adjusters I have met, they are all pretty similar. This one reminded me forcibly of Paul Lynde.  Anyone want to start a pool for the total?😂

18 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

The adjuster came today, I have realized that of the adjusters I have met, they are all pretty similar. This one reminded me forcibly of Paul Lynde.  Anyone want to start a pool for the total?😂

Cost of vehicles being what they are- dollar being what it wasn’t…$7000ish

• Like 1

If the rocker was damaged and needs to be replaced the only way to repair that right is to replace the whole side of the cab. Not simple because of the layering of aluminum and protective materials, it has to be all riveted in like a Kenworth cab. Dad ripped the studs out of the rocker for the running board  on our Super Duty running over a tree stump that he cut off too high. That was $12k, truck had less than 10k miles all OEM parts. 

My bet for your repair to be done right, upper $20k.

23 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I had what evolved into a raging battle with Progressive about that. We dropped that policy as soon as the policy was up. I ended up covering the difference out of pocket and got Subaru parts. All i got out of all my negotiating efforts was high blood pressure.

I had a running fight with Progressive.

I said no to their offer on a totaled out mini-van they were responsible for. 

They sold the van to a scrap dealer and it was sent to them with all my stuff in it, without my agreeing to the terms.

I can't fight Progressive but I will sure Bad Mouth them for low balling me.

I finally accepted the offer as I cannot fight Progressive.

My blood pressure goes up when I see their commercials.

I have a local agent that I can walk in and talk with. 

It may be a bit more expensive but he will answer my questions and help when he can.

I appreciate good service.

• Like 4

Oh I fight Progressive. Just did. My wife "failed to yield to a deer" as stated above. They wanted aftermarket parts and wrote their own estimate about $1300 under the body shop. First they wanted me to bring the car 150 miles to their "preferred" shop and leave it there for them to write the estimate. I told them no. They can come to me. They did. I also told them no aftermarket parts. Plastic stuff like the grill and headlights fade, peel, and cloud over. I told them I would wait it out until they were ready to close the claim. I'd just drive the car with the damage until they were ready. They say that was a safety liability. I said "You should speed up your process then". Still wanted to short pay the shop. I told them my deductible is $250 Not $1300. The rest was their responsibility. If they were good with shorting my repair bill it was fine but when my $600 premium comes due, they better be good with a check for $325 because that was all I saw fit to pay. 

This conversation went on a few weeks and two supervisors up the chain. Got the car back last Sunday. Factory parts. Paid in full. Not a penny over my deductible. Body guy said whatever I said got it done how it should be every time. Wait them out. They HATE open claims. After enough time, they'll do what's right just to get the claim off the books.

• Like 1