Who works Sundays?

Pete1468

Who works Sundays, and if so do you expect others to work.

Maybe I'm getting old guy syndrome but it seems like all I get are calls on Sunday mornings.  

I enjoy working when ii want on Sundays, usually after church putzing in the shop.  It seems people forget their manners, won't leave a message and call every five minutes.  One guy was consistently calling at 630 in the morning multiple times in a row, finally I had enough of that and answered asking him if he was dieing or one of my parents/ kids was dieing.  When he stammered sand said no I said in a not very nice tone why are you fing calling at this time then.  It was two days before he called back but wow was I mad.  I have to sleep by my phone for emergencies and the sheriff's office does call at all hours of the night during bad weather.

I have a shirt that says I used to be a people person but people ruined it. I think there's allot of truth to n it anymore.  Maybe I should become a hermit.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

I've got one of those shirts too Pete.

I 'work' about every Sunday. Of course, it's work I choose to do, like putting weights on the 400. Haven't worked a Saturday or Sunday or even an hour of overtime at the day job since 2015, I think.

• Like 2

Try not too. If you can't keep up in 6 you can't keep up in 7. 

If you are self employed  and can't pay your bills in 6 days you are not charging enough. 

To quote another fence guy the only person who will remember you worked over (Sundays or holidays) to get the job done early in a year is your children. 

That hit home and haven't worked a holiday since, and only a handful of Sundays to beat weather. But I always take another day off later that week.

• Like 10

And on the seventh day he called it a day of rest.  Only work performed by my family from both sides of my parents was if you work on Sunday it better be a have to situation only cause we only attended Church and laid around and enjoyed one of Mamas nice Sunday after church meals which was always the best meal of the week, sure remember those days and I personally still only work if I only have to

• Like 9

I work a shift that requires me to work every other Sunday.  I knew it when I took the job. I don’t like working on Sunday but I like providing for my family. Shift work is just that and you live with it. 

• Like 8

I am retired, I work seasonal on the land roller and grain cart for my cousin and I do work Sundays. For my penance I go shopping for the food bank and they do very well, I try to give the majority of that days wages. 

• Like 5

I try not to if possible. Definitely try to not miss Sunday school and church. I will play around working on things that I enjoy then . I've been working Sunday afternoon on the pulling sled for the last two months 

• Like 4

I've worked more Sundays than not.

All the philosophies about not doing so are just that. 

I can worship/rest/spend time with family any/every day.

When customers become a pest on ANY day, I get rid of them.

Farmers work Sundays all their lives. 

Many trades work Sundays. 

Nothing worse than a man that whines.. 

• Like 7

Just now, MTO said:

I've worked more Sundays than not.

All the philosophies about not doing so are just that. 

I can worship/rest/spend time with family any/every day.

When customers become a pest on ANY day, I get rid of them.

Farmers work Sundays all their lives. 

Many trades work Sundays. 

Nothing worse than a man that whines.. 

I don't whine, that's my supercharger you hear.  

I don't mind working, it's the people calling expecting you to answer your phone that gets me.  Usually I find something that my son and I can to together.

• Like 6

We work around the weather. I have employees that don’t work Sunday, no matter what. I just tell them there’s not going to be any complaining if you won’t come here on Sunday and I tell you not to come in on Monday because it’s pouring rain. Way too many young guys want to work around their girlfriend’s schedule. I tell them good luck with that. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

I don't whine, that's my supercharger you hear.  

I don't mind working, it's the people calling expecting you to answer your phone that gets me.  Usually I find something that my son and I can to together.

Get rid of the negatives and stick the positives in your pocket.

And yes, you're whining.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just spent 12 hrs today at the farm getting equipment ready to seed.  So ya pretty much between now and winter I work Sundays weather permitting.  No employees on our farm either.  

• Like 1

I don't like to work on Sundays. But this time of year with all the rain I got to mow some yards on Sunday just to keep up. I only mow some yards on Sundays that doesn't matter what day it is. I won't ant personal yards on a Sunday unless they call me on Friday or Saturday and ask me to.

• Like 3

I do, but only for myself. Day job is Monday through Friday, with the rare after hours call. Sundays are generally for dinking around the shop or mowing the yard. One Sunday a month, we go up to dad's for lunch after church, and a bit of fishing or shooting afterwards. 

Today I worked corn ground to get ready to plant, and probably could've gotten a good bit planted but didn't. Call it superstition, but the Old Man used to say never plant on Sunday, you wouldn't make a crop. A lot of folks do and it don't seem to make a difference, but no more ground than I have another day won't matter. He also used to have a fit if I went hunting or shooting on Sunday morning, and had loads of other superstitions and sayings. Some were right, but most were just funny. 

Mac

• Like 3

I worked today. The dog food plant schedules weekends when necessary, last month or two there’s been a lot. I wouldn’t mind taking every Sunday off but double time makes it worthwhile to some extent. But even if I take it off cows still need to be taken care of and gotta make hay when the sun shines. 

My father always liked at least Sunday morning off. After church it was work if needed. During planting and combining season he would be in field every day. He used to do a lot of custom combining and had two main customers that neither wanted him to work on their place on Sunday. One would be okay with him doing maintenance on the combine but the other said don’t even come over. The second one is the one that irritated him because when they bought their own combine we saw them in the field most sundays. He actually didn’t mind either one saying not to work on Sunday just having the one change their attitude like that really got him.

I think most of the time these days he hopes for rain on Sunday to give him a second excuse to take the day off and go to church. 

• Like 3

"Farm on Sunday.....fix on Monday"......and it's truer than you think!  Every time we have "snuck out to the field on Sunday" we haven't gained any real headway.

Go to church in AM and work on my own personal projects in afternoon.

Day job (utility work) occasionally requires some Sunday engineering support.....kind of like livestock,  some things must be done regardless of day of week.

• Like 8

I "worked" yesterday on Sunday. Messed around with my getting my backhoe ready to dig,took loader off one of my tractors( took about 5 seconds,banded a calf and fed cattle.It wasn't really work and GOD is always with me, on my mind and I will always share him and never deny him.I milked cows and it was always 7 days a week. Growing up it was only work that had to be done,big Sunday dinners and the only day we were able to lay around,play,ride motorcycles without feeling guilty.I also believe after milking for years on my own that unnecessary work on Sunday never was fruitful.Breakdowns,slow going ect.,never much was accomplished.

However I NEVER called on Sunday to buy something, fix something or bother someone unless it was ABSOLUTELY necessary.It would have to be a milking equipment, bulk tank cooler, feeding equipment  or well pump for water for the cows.I today still let my voice mail take messages for anything I have for sale and will call them back on Monday.I don't like to bother people on Sunday and I don't like to talk business on Sunday either. I try to cut people slack that do.I also don't expect anyone else to work on Sunday if they don't want to. 

When Jesus was catching flack from the so called "holy men" men about healing people on Sunday since it was work what did he say.To paraphrase it he said "how many of you would leave your ox if it fell down a well on the Sabbath so why should I be condemned for healing the sick on the day of rest"

• Like 7

Only if absolutely necessary .

• Like 3

If nothing needs to be repaired, as I am away at work all week. I work very hard on Sunday... I work on my "me time and family time"! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pete1468 said:

the sheriff's office does call at all hours of the night during bad weather.

Call, or come to call? Because those are different. 

I work some Sundays at the mountain, but that is scheduled and I consider it different. We have something big going down at the manufacturing facility we service we are often there on Sunday as they are shut down, but in general I avoid weekly work on sundays. My grandfather was always of the opinion that of you can’t earn your living during the week, you should probably find a new career. That logic doesn’t apply as well these days, but in general I agree. 
With the instant gratification afforded by cell phones and internet people in general have become inconsiderate of work time/personal time. Almost everyone uses their cell phones for business and some have a hard time remembering to be considerate of that. Monday morning my phone will start going at about 6:30 with messages from people who HAVE waited until at least the work week to contact me, we have a few however who think nothing of calling at 9:15 pm on Sunday with some piddly issue that really could have waited, others will sit up all night in the dark because they were afraid their house was burning down, but didn’t want to bother me until daytime. 

• Like 3

I really love 'working' here at the farm on Saturday and Sunday. It's doing what I want to do, for the most part. During the week, I get going good on whatever and have to quit and get ready for, work!

• Like 2