Ford pickup height.

vtfireman85

Why are there such drastic differences in height? Mine sits low as compared to others. This silver one hasn’t been modified, it has FX4 package, same as mine, it had several bags of mulch in the bed, i have those ramps and some crap in the toolbox. Both F350, same tire size. Mine measures 56”to the rail over the rear tires, the silver one measures 59”. 

IMG_5745.jpeg

IMG_5747.jpeg

Just now, Farmall1066 said:

Different spring options? Small body lift in the silver truck?

The silver truck is unmodified and bought off the lot new 

• Like 1

There are a bunch of options that affect this. Reg cab vs extended vs crew. Different spring options. Tow package. Plow package. Engine or trans combo. Any combo of any one of these makes a difference as well. Pa's truck is a reg cab long box F350 power stroke. He has factory plow package and dealer added tow package. Sits level. Mine is crew cab long box F350 power stroke. No add on package. His front bumper was 2-1/2 higher. My rear bumper was 1-1/2 higher...

I added a leveling kit and now mine sits level at an inch higher than his. So glad to lose the nosedive. My truck drives much nicer since leveling.

At one point FX4 only meant gas shocks and skid plates (and stickers). Not sure on the new stuff anymore.

When I was going through the order process there were no package options that made any indication of ride height, I got what I wanted, which was lower, It is a work truck after all, but it wasn’t like it made any mention when choosing, I believe the Tremor package made some mention, but that has a lower front spring rate, mine has plow prep, both trucks in the picture are gas. 

Back in the early 70's the local GM dealer sold 2 new cadillacs 1 was a 2 door and it always drug its rear and the 4 door looked like it had air shocks on it. Dealer got both cars in and switched the rear coil springs around and it did no difference at all. Can't remember the outcome of the deal but the one still drug its rear and the other was up in the air. Must have been a change during the model year

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, mjcolemn said:

What year is the silver one? I think at some point I remember reading that they lowered the overall ride height in the newer ones??

Probably an 18/19 I’ve noticed newer ones sitting taller, but that one is the only one I have measured 

6 minutes ago, int 504 said:

Wheelbase looks different from truck to truck. Your bed looks longer. It could be camera angle?

It’s an xcab short box so yes it’s about 4’ shorter. The height difference is uniform however, the hood is taller too

8E356725-2E4E-4B3C-A541-46075D40E1ED.thumb.jpeg.0ba267aee935d7a7f6ba3e233150d402.jpegCrew cab short box diesel, FX4, Plow package and tow package. I just took the lift kit out of our ‘19 (2.5” front and 1” rear)and put it in a ‘24  equipped exactly the same. Truck is exactly the same height as the one before it. Top of the tailgate is 61 inches.  Front fender bottom of wheel well is 44, rear is 45”.    This truck has one more spring in the rear pack than the 19, which I thought was interesting.  

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Probably an 18/19 I’ve noticed newer ones sitting taller, but that one is the only one I have measured 

Seth...do  you have those  Ford "Ruptures'  over there....or are those models for Export only...???

ikeM

Suspension?

I had a 2020 F250 at my last job, that we ordered with some special features (2wd, locking rear axle, heavy suspension, etc.) When it came in, it set up nearly as high as a 4wd. It set about like your red truck there. Something about the Suspension and axle, Im sure.

Actually I really liked the height. Not too high, could sorta reach into the bed, but not too low to the ground either.

I think most of the 4wd ones sit way too high. Top of the bed rail sits even with the bill of my cap!

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

Seth...do  you have those  Ford "Ruptures'  over there....or are those models for Export only...???

ikeM

Are you referencing the Raptor with the big fenders? Of so yes, but I don’t know anyone who could afford one, if not you should know that here in the states, ‘when you get out of bed, and your balls feel like lead, that’s a rupture.’
We are 2 people separated by a common language I think. 

Raptors and Tremor package trucks.  I see a dozen every day.   Those $90-100k, probably more,  rigs make  a normal xlt look pretty affordable.   
i can’t remember the last time I ran into a 2wd superduty.  Don’t believe I have ever seen a aluminum one. 

there were no suspension options when ordering for ‘24. Only FX4 and snow plow prep.  I think fx4 was $400 and SP was $200 We’ve never had one without them, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how they sit. I’ve seen new 250’s with factory helper springs (that don’t do anything at rest) and they sit a bit taller than new 350’s that came without helpers.  I think all 23/24’s have them though 

9 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Oops. $495 and $250.  I still had pics on my phone to look back at 

“heavy duty trailer tow” package was $1150.  I don’t know what that amounted to, but it’s not standard 

You had to be careful, some of the packages overlap and some have most of the same stuff as others. It was pretty mind numbing. In 05’ i was agonizing about buying a new GM, you could almost start with a WT and add what you wanted. Not so much anymore.

5 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Work truck lol?  I need to pickup a Bedliner in the morning.  Took them two weeks to get one. 

I ordered mine with the plastic bed liner in it, rubber mat on top of that. 

• Like 1

Dealer usually has a stack of them out back. The first truck they spec’d out had one, but when they did the next one they lost it somehow. I figured I’d get them to sell me one off the stack cheap enough, then this spring….I see there is no stack of them.  

• Confused 1

It seems in general that Ford trucks sit higher than GM. My K2500 sits high enough, I wouldn't want any higher. I get a kick out of lifted trucks with all sorts of off-road gear, most of which never get any farther off road than the driveway.

Don't forget to check the front!

Tall PU view angle.png

• Like 1

I am almost certain the higher truck would have the camper package.  There is trailer tow, heavy trailer tow and all the prep that goes with the hitches in the bed and whatnot, then you can add the camper package. It's only around $3-400 if I remember correctly, but it makes a big difference with heavy gooseneck trailers. FIL almost got burned in 2012 by crappy dealer on that situation, made about 2" difference on back bumper when empty. I think it was an added leaf spring, but it might have been a swap for a stiffer one, not sure. I remember it still being an option when we ordered in 2019. 

I will try to remember to ask next time I see my salesman guy.  I don’t remember seeing a “camper” package as an option, or I would have asked.  I typically try to order as heavy as possible,   for a single rear wheel