IH 756 bought as salvage, but not...

Bought a 756 diesel sight unseen few hrs south of me, friend went to pick it and junk 656 diesel that was apart of the deal. We pulled both off the trailer at sundown. Came back next day to see if it would run, hot battery, snif of ether and the know how to start a german disel and she was off to the races. Previous owner had no clue how to start a german the typical way. Some dont need the sweet spot spot pull cable but most do. More i looked it over more i realized it was a pretty tight tractor and nothing was really hacked up other than the TSC seat. Pretty original and complete all over. Tach shows 3800hrs and wear points confirm hrs are about right. Still has IH stamped muffler. Came factory with tilt wheel and front mount hyd. Not sure how ill set it up but i like the set up in the brochure pic, 6.00-16s, 15.5x38s, tilt wheel and hyd seat. 

20240405_195052.jpg

20240404_185410.jpg

20240404_185354.jpg

20240404_185336.jpg

20240330_190149.jpg

430357846_240877905772679_7455098377669706031_n.jpg

f5cc880da58fc7935556eccc995a9d22.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Is that a aftermarket oil pan, or a replacement?

Neither. It's factory. It's aluminum and the paint never stuck very good on them from new, so most you see have all the paint flaked off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drysleeves said:

Jack Wise at the controls of a '67 model 756 sporting the factory 935 White wheel weights. They discontinued white ones for 1968 and beyond, just another random IH feature.

Any idea when they started supplying 935 White wheel weights? To me, they look the best that way, as a kid I thought it was strange when I saw a '56 series with red weights. Jack sure had a good job! Did he have other duties with Harvester besides being a farmer "model" (haha)?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Any idea when they started supplying 935 White wheel weights? To me, they look the best that way, as a kid I thought it was strange when I saw a '56 series with red weights. Jack sure had a good job! Did he have other duties with Harvester besides being a farmer "model" (haha)?

Forensic analysis has determined that 935 White was color coded for factory installed wheel weights on the initial production of the 56 Series tractor line. Please be advised this research is somewhat ad hoc but yet based on decades of rabbit hole endeavors into visual serial number based evidence and literature deep dives. The endeavor ended at the end of '67 production if not prior.

Jack Wise was integral in the Hickory Hill Photographic Center along with Verlyn Foster, Russell Johnson, Fred Woltering, and many others.

Epic times that are now part of IH lore and history.

• Like 6

Nice looking tractors!

Dad always wanted a 756.  I ended up with an 826 our neighbor bought 'new'.  It was a demonstrator...

I haven't seen one of a heater house enclosure in a long time.  I have seen them in accessory catalogs. Decades ago I was at Dumas Tractor and dale was working on a customer's 826 with the heater house enclosure.  It was complete with windows and doors.

Great find!

9 hours ago, Drysleeves said:

Forensic analysis has determined that 935 White was color coded for factory installed wheel weights on the initial production of the 56 Series tractor line. Please be advised this research is somewhat ad hoc but yet based on decades of rabbit hole endeavors into visual serial number based evidence and literature deep dives. The endeavor ended at the end of '67 production if not prior.

Jack Wise was integral in the Hickory Hill Photographic Center along with Verlyn Foster, Russell Johnson, Fred Woltering, and many others.

Russell Johnson? The same Russell Johnson who played The Professor on Gilligan’s Island?? 🤔

• Haha 3

Our/my 756 is s/n 8766, so a fairly early '67 model. The first set of wheel weights is white... Well, was white. 40 years of dairy farming took their toll and they're rusty. I've got an aerial view of the farm from before 1980 and I'm pretty sure it shows the white weight.

On 4/19/2024 at 8:33 PM, Drysleeves said:

I always wondered about the guys in the advertising photos.  Were they actually farmers with the side hustle of modeling with new red machinery?  Seemed like good work if you could get it.

On 4/19/2024 at 8:33 PM, Drysleeves said:

I know which one Jack and Russell are but I’ve never known the other names. So you have me curious who is who! Not to derail Brian’s thread. 

1 hour ago, 234-IA said:

I always wondered about the guys in the advertising photos.  Were they actually farmers with the side hustle of modeling with new red machinery?  Seemed like good work if you could get it.

Guys like Jack and Russell were employed by the IH Photographic Center, plus many others. A July 1968 interview with Al Rucker who was manager of the Photographic Center said there was 38 (I think) people employed at the farm then. That included anyone from farm workers to camera men and directors. That was a top notch job to work at the IH Photographic Center.

• Like 4

Put on set of 15.5x38s on wedgelocks and new 6.00-16s up front. Set of 10 75lbs weights up front. Next big thing is a hyd seat and clutch assist. 

Neighbor brought his 756 gas in for shifter repair. He bought it out of MO before he moved to TX. Only seen 2 756s in this area. Ive seen more 756 lpgs than i have gassers. C-301 cranks well and runs smooth, loud though. 

20240425_180709.jpg

20240425_135440.jpg

• Like 7

It appears that you "done good" on getting this one.

My folks and uncle who farmed with us had a 756 diesel.  

It was the "big" tractor, plowed, disked, ran the chopper and baler.  

It was never used in the winter though.