Tractor road trip

Lazy WP

4 hours ago, bkorth said:

Not a tractor but Dad bought a 515C  Dresser payloader that I still have on a sale at Royal Ne about 40 miles west of home and I  drove it home.  If you've ever drove a payloader down the road you know they like to start bucking when you hit the slightest bump in the road. I learned real quick how to roll the bucket back and forth to get it to quit, until the next bump. Newer ones have ride control for that reason, it was a long ride back.

Good thing you went east.

Those hills west of Orchard to the scales are fun with a reversed tractor sweep.

When you hit the brakes to scrub off some speed, the steer tires come off the ground.

Glad I did it when I was young and fearless or was it young and dumb🤣

I've done a few 100+ tractor rides on my 300U & 504 row crop. The U was more comfortable. Back in the 60s Dad and I bought a F20 in January about twenty miles away,engine was stuck so we towed it with Dads pickup. 0* temp. I had all my winter gear on knowing it would be a cold ride! We used a chain to tow with so I told Dad not to let any slack get in the chain as it would get under the front wheels and cause trouble. There was ONE  long hill to go down so I thought I'd use the brakes to slow down but being f20s brakes do not brake both wheels at the same time that was not good! Well how about the clutch! Nope that lasted about ten feet and flew apart, so I'm waving Dad to not slow down, as the speed got faster the weighted rear tires started to hump and by the time we were at the middle of the hill I was bouncing up and down something awful hanging on to the steering wheel for dear life. We must have been doing 20+mph! I've never been so cold in my life thankful I didn't get killed ! We put a front end loader on it and a Plymouth 6 in place of the F20 engine and used it a few years for snow removal. Never did dare to see how fast it would go with that 6 in it.

We had a neighbor when I was growing up, who was picking corn southwest of Anselmo Nebraska. If I remember correctly he was using a F-20 to pull the picker, then had 2 wagons hooked behind that. There’s a pretty big hill and either the tractor jumped out of gear or Ed was heading home and was trying to make time, either way he said that he would have bailed out had he known how. As it was he rode it out. Was pretty sure the tractor was going to get rolled. 
His birthday was exactly 70 years before mine. He had stories of the natives leaving the rez in South Dakota and raising Cain along the state line. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bitty said:

Wow ...we had one of those loaders just like that. That would be torture IMO 

Neck hurt for a few days from turning backwards 

Pretty sure I told the story before. We had a customer who was a 2 man custom combine operation. Late fall he'd drive his Claas in our yard in Central MN. We would inspect and repair it over the winter. Mid spring the guy would come back, pay his bill, and drive the combine back to Southern Texas to start his season over. 

• Like 2

40 miles with an H, lovely late spring day, enjoyed every minute. 25 miles on my old 450, around 40 degrees and cloudy and windy. Hated every minute.

• Like 1

Finally catching up here. Have only driven three home, if memory serves. 1066 was the furthest at about 25 miles. Drove the first leg to the house in town, did some work to it there then on to the farm. Bought a WF WD 45 at a local consignment auction about eight miles North of the farm, easy ride home. Lastly, the CA from Colfax tractor another 7-8 mile trip. All of those trips were uneventful, thankfully!

Was going to say the 826 was the long distance champ for those I've trailered home but remembered a WD that came out of NE Nebraska. Bought it for the power steering, was a pretty good parts tractor, was younger then.....

My first tractor was an M with a 9-speed that dad found about 25 miles from home. I would have been maybe 12-14 so it was a pretty big deal for me to get to drive it home. Then when I was 14 or 15 dad was picking corn on a rented farm about 45 minutes from home by car, and had to put a clutch in the 686. I drove it back to the farm with the tires wide and super snoot on. A semi passed me and blew my hat off, and we found out later it was a family friend in the semi!!

On 4/18/2024 at 8:34 PM, John Rowehl said:

Drove our Oliver 880 and NH 273 baler 27 mi.

Middle island to Mattituck?

Yes. Both directions.

That was back when the Prechtls were making the hay off the fields in MI in the first couple years after we moved.

I’ve done a few tractor drives 40-70 miles over the years, in tractors that go 40-50 km/h(25-30 mph), whether it be delivering a new tractor or returning with a trade.  The cost and time of the drive was slightly less than trucking when the tractor could drive the faster speeds.  The Deutz my Dad sold were the first I ever saw that would do 50 km/h(30 mph), they freaked out enough small town citizens, a tractor was never seen going those speeds before.  It is a good bit faster than 25 mph in a big machine.  20-25 mph doesn’t get noticed but 30 mph looks like 40 in a big tractor.

My favourite of those longer drives was an Agco Allis 9655

Dad bought a wooden grain bin at a site 65 miles from home. He took the 460 diesel with an F10 loader on it, with a flat bed tied behind, and left at Oh Dark 30 in the morning. Us two boys, to young to be of any help, went with our grandpa in the pickup. We got to the site, took the grain bin apart and loaded on the flat bed. Then headed for home, another 65 miles. It was beyond dark when we got home. A long day but a great day to be together. This was quite an undertaking for one day.

Not a tractor but, I drove a RoGator 1100c from Headland Alabama to Ocilla Georgia, about 145 miles, took something like 5 1/2 hours iirc.

I make 60-80 mile trips on a 380 Vector several times a year, I get there fairly quickly at 50mph though 

IMG_2730.png

IMG_4112.jpeg

35 minutes ago, jworley said:

Not a tractor but, I drove a RoGator 1100c from Headland Alabama to Ocilla Georgia, about 145 miles, took something like 5 1/2 hours iirc.

Shortly before I started working for the fertilizer company at Asseria Kansas, one of the guys roaded a new 1844, Terragato floater back from Jackson Minnesota. A bit over 450 miles. 

• Like 1