Tractor road trip

Lazy WP

What is the farthest distance you have driven a tractor, and what was it? 
Dad bought a propane H at a Sandhill Equipment auction. I can’t remember for certain what year it was, maybe 78 or 79. I drove it home, right at 80 miles. If it was 79, I would have been 15. I somewhat think it was earlier than that, because I headed home with a Minnie Mo, G1000Vista when I was 12, from Holdrege Nebraska. Would have been 140 miles, but it spun a bearing at about mile 40, and Dad had to come back and get me. Long before cell phones. Mom called the radio station in Lexington and had Dad call her to get him back to me. 

• Like 6

....this year , whilst up at the private ''toll road'', a late model John Deere tractor rolled in....the Station has a bunch of those green tractors, so I initially assumed it was one of the 6140's....

However, I soon realised it was a   ''foreigner''.....and it turned out that this bloke had brought a farm in the South Island ...the quote to truck his 6140   from   Hawkes Bay   (North Island )  to Springfield  was   around 5K   (NZ)  so he decided to drive it down....around 500 miles...  The interisland ferry would have cost around $600.00  and plus diesel , so he would have saved a considerable sum of money....He did say the novelty was wearing a bit thin, and this was about slightly over the half way point...!!!

Mike

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Mom called the radio station in Lexington and had Dad call her to get him back to me. 

That's a neat story! So, if I understand it right, the radio station made an announcement on the air about the situation? 

3 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

That's a neat story! So, if I understand it right, the radio station made an announcement on the air about the situation? 

Yes sir. Only time I know that they did something like that. It’s a 100,000 watt AM Station. Flag ship station of the rural ag network 

• Like 7

International 240 Utility, 17.2 miles. Well, almost 17.2 miles... Doesn't seem like much but the temperature was in the teens and the wind was blowing hard. It was only running on 3-1/2 cylinders most of the time due to a burned valve that I discovered later, and kept stalling because the gas tank was under a vacuum due to a plugged fuel cap vent. Top speed was about 10MPH.

Had I realized the gas tank needed venting during the drive, I might have made it, but about a mile from home I was down to full choke to keep it running at all, when the top tank of the radiator came off the core and blew coolant everywhere. Dad had to drag me on a chain the rest of the way.

• Sad 1

Back in the "farm" days it was +- 25 mile as tires wouldnt go much more on city roads. Over that,delivery/hired in the  $$ deal .and you didnt really have to travel over 50 mile to get common stuff... Today absolute MUST!

Got banned from driving them out of "thru shop" dead row at stealer....morale....

As we bought mostly "parts" ,furthest we did on ,private auction,must remove same day/ 5 hours  ,was 15 mile thru urban traffic. frankenstein , brought fresh set of tires/rims ,carb,distributor,and electrics ,with 1 gal IV gas tank strapped to the hood , as they had put 3 x $ into it ,a lot of looks as we drove out the gate.

Bought my first tractor, an early 60’s 730 caseomatic diesel about 25 or 30 miles away and drove it home. It had an aftermarket tin box cab on it and the high pitched gear whine resonated terribly. Made it home, but was a trip that I’m happy if I don’t ever have to repeat. That’s got to be 25 years ago 

• Like 1

Many years ago dad bought a Farmall 460 on a foreclosure sale up near the quad cities and he drove it home.  Broke a fan belt but stopped at a AGCO dealer near Viola and got a new one and was on our way again.  It was around 80 miles one way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

International 240 Utility, 17.2 miles. Well, almost 17.2 miles... Doesn't seem like much but the temperature was in the teens and the wind was blowing hard. It was only running on 3-1/2 cylinders most of the time due to a burned valve that I discovered later, and kept stalling because the gas tank was under a vacuum due to a plugged fuel cap vent. Top speed was about 10MPH.

Had I realized the gas tank needed venting during the drive, I might have made it, but about a mile from home I was down to full choke to keep it running at all, when the top tank of the radiator came off the core and blew coolant everywhere. Dad had to drag me on a chain the rest of the way.

We have a 240u... that is a haul lol

Only 65 miles here on the 101 combine I bought at auction and drove it home in the MIDDLE OF WINTER with no cab on it! Talk about doing stupid stuff!!! LOL!!  Bout froze to death on it.  Snow blowing of course and snowplows on the road too! --- Never pulled that stunt again!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Rowehl said:

Drove our Oliver 880 and NH 273 baler 27 mi.

If you get a hold of the governor on a 880 diesel, you can make them hustle down the road 😜

We roaded equipment between fields routinely around 35 miles and later on 45 miles. We had a relative that farmed 90 miles so every year moved equipment a tk 1470 case 4wd that moved about 12 mph and other equipment. I drove a 7130 magnum and a 976 ford versatile 200 miles from northern Minnesota took about 12 hours each and was contemplating driving the 8450 home from Montana. That would be multi day trip but 300 miles. 

60 miles caseih mxm145 owner wanted it ran at 17 or less so it took a while. Wasn't bad with cab and ac.

Not a tractor but Dad bought a 515C  Dresser payloader that I still have on a sale at Royal Ne about 40 miles west of home and I  drove it home.  If you've ever drove a payloader down the road you know they like to start bucking when you hit the slightest bump in the road. I learned real quick how to roll the bucket back and forth to get it to quit, until the next bump. Newer ones have ride control for that reason, it was a long ride back.

• Like 1

Just now, bkorth said:

Not a tractor but Dad bought a 515C  Dresser payloader that I still have on a sale at Royal Ne about 40 miles west of home and I  drove it home.  If you've ever drove a payloader down the road you know they like to start bucking when you hit the slightest bump in the road. I learned real quick how to roll the bucket back and forth to get it to quit, until the next bump. Newer ones have ride control for that reason, it was a long ride back.

Drove my michigan 27 miles...that was sketch.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Drove brand new 1600 series combines from factory in Moline, IL to Minonk, IL (112 miles) on several occasions.  24.5/30.5 tires were fine....28Ls were a painfully slow ride.    2 speed axle was a race car.....

13 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Drove my michigan 27 miles...that was sketch.

Wow ...we had one of those loaders just like that. That would be torture IMO 

• Like 1

I drove a 895 versatile back for a neighbour about 10 years ago. I can't remember exactly where the tractor was but somewhere in Edmore/Adams ND area. Drove it back to Cando the first night then hooked up to a Air Drill the next morning and headed for home. Would've been around 240 miles Google tells me. 895 doesn't go very fast and the exhaust had been re routed to the cab corner and straight piped. It was a long ride lol

A few of the tractors here dad drove home, anywhere from 50-150 miles away. Took the 1486 about 70 miles to pick up a 1482 combine, so 140 round trip. Drove one of the combines home last year 80 miles. Roading equipment is no big deal here lol

• Like 1

5288 2wd, 100 miles home from a sale with a couple buddies. Been on a couple 40 mile tractor drives I guess. 

• Like 2

Drove the 806D with 8foot bush hog 31 miles one way. Done the bush hog work same day and drove back. If I had a break down of any kind would have to drive it back the next day.  I still drive to all my bush hogging jobs. Usally 5 to 10 miles one way..  It will now be on the 756 gas being I sold the 806 last fall.               

I drove home from a sale a 5140 maximum MFD with loader around 1998 . It was around 60 miles from home. Last spring we sold the 9170 and the new owner was a 3 1/2 hour drive in a car and they drove the Steiger home ... 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Yes sir. Only time I know that they did something like that. It’s a 100,000 watt AM Station. Flag ship station of the rural ag network 

KRVN?

First tractor I bought when I went on my own was an M with an old DuAl 250 loader and a winch.

Dad and me went to the sale, I bought it and drove it home. We went through O'Neill so he stopped an bought a six pack.

I don't know how many miles it was but he had to go back and get another six before we got it home😄