new trailer floor

Takn4aFool

recently bought a Big Tex 77"x14' trailer with what looks like southern pine (maybe it's southern) floor that i assume is treated wood. my question now is would it be a good idea to treat it with boiled linseed oil. 

just in case you noticed i painted the wheels white because i couldn't stand them painted black like they come with.

IMG_20240417_153846084.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Probably should get it on the bottom. Water seal sprays out of a pump can pretty well. My FIL is using it on his deck with good results. My deck is Trex. My trailer is looking sad. I'm going to bleach it and try some water seal on it. It ends up parked under a tree in the shade so gets mildew looking.

Wood defender 200 series fence stain and sealer. Will outlast anything else sprays on fast and lasts

• Like 1

I have had really good luck with a Flood brand oil based sealer I get at Menards on trailer decks.  Doesn't get as slick when wet as used oil does and doesn't stain your clothes if you kneel down, etc.

I use clean new oil on top used on ends and bottom. It helps to park in a tilt position to some extent for drainage.

13 hours ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

In our experience the expanded metal ramp floor will self destruct long before the wood rots.

1000% true.  Expanded metal is for guards and access control....NOT ramps and floors.

I believe we replaced the floor of our trailer in 2018, after about 4 years on a painted untreated 2 X 10 pine that rotted. Replacement was treated yellow pine, at first I was very unhappy because  it was expensive, very wet and  immediately warped badly. I used a hydraulic jack to press out all the warps and pinned the floor  with  2 - 1/2, 3/16 flat bar, side to side and painted it safety yellow. Wood still looks good, it actually stopped warping after it initially dried. 

The issue with non-rolled expanded metal is it is near impossible to get into all the cracks and crevasses unless it is dipped in paint. Not much of an issue on inside use, engine rooms on a ship use it for elevated safety decking for its non-slip features.

I was at Habitat recycle the other day, they had many gallons of some type of liquid air drying rubber roofing in aluminum color, I expect it would be a very slippery floor. Price was right!

Good thread. Thanks.

My trailer is on the "to do" list for this summer.