While the Wife is away, I get to..

vtfireman85

Work like a dog. 

she went south to visit her Dad and took our daughter with her, its been 2-3 years since I have been left alone long enough to really tear into some house projects that require an empty house. I have found enough scary electrical work in this house to keep me up at night so I have been removing and redoing as much as I can. I needed to get some new circuits to the second floor along with 15 runs of low voltage wire for lighting and while I was at it a couple conduits in case I forgot anything or decide to add. The living room had too few receptacles and and the way they were installed makes me ill. The way this house is built (log cabin) has 2 load bearing walls and getting up through them is impractical, i have one wet wall that i was able to use, but I had to open it up significantly, so I decided to put T+G, which Ive been doing everywhere I could. I also added 5 more outlets in the baseboards of the exterior log walls… the proper way! 
Feels good to be going back together, its been some very late nights. 
She says she’s coming home Friday morning, and I have to button up another wet wall on the other side of the house before she returns. 

IMG_5650.jpeg

IMG_5681.jpeg

• Like 11

Where I live now the original owners had a stereotypical 2 story huge farm house. The father and 2 brothers did most of the work themselves..........the house burnt down and a smaller ranch style house was built. While remodeling the basement I discovered some electrical work that I'm shocked didn't cause the new house to burn down too.

20210210_104752.thumb.jpg.83b3dd385d81355eae08932f49d8682f.jpg20210210_155339.thumb.jpg.a0d688bcb368d54c3de271418bdfcf24.jpg20210210_150758.thumb.jpg.e9dc9aee9cdb2da34ee977db015274b3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

8 minutes ago, FoxrunFarms02 said:

Where I live now the original owners had a stereotypical 2 story huge farm house. The father and 2 brothers did most of the work themselves..........the house burnt down and a smaller ranch style house was built. While remodeling the basement I discovered some electrical work that I'm shocked didn't cause the new house to burn down too.

20210210_104752.thumb.jpg.83b3dd385d81355eae08932f49d8682f.jpg20210210_155339.thumb.jpg.a0d688bcb368d54c3de271418bdfcf24.jpg20210210_150758.thumb.jpg.e9dc9aee9cdb2da34ee977db015274b3.jpg

I know a “residential electrician” which means he doesn’t have a license, who burned his sister’s house down… twice. His work Is absolutely brutal

that there is pretty darn gnarly. 

I found this in my bedroom 

IMG_4059.jpeg

IMG_4060.jpeg

IMG_4061.jpeg

IMG_4063.jpeg

• Confused 4

Wowww.    In electrical tape we trust!

I found this park brake interlock for my generator breaker on Amazon a few weeks ago.  Ever seen one before?  
8F86D022-D630-481B-A990-34A8E931A050.thumb.jpeg.e5b22cfeab98199a54104e79ee997e13.jpegAA50C5FB-117D-42D9-81A0-CE70FE3D7FDB.thumb.jpeg.9cdce5140a3feed5bb64dba04dabd9c8.jpeg

Also, I’m not familiar with flooring like you have there. Tongue and groove? What’s the filler materiel? Looks cool

• Like 1

While the wife is away does she know about the sandwich at the deli?  And the lady behind the counter?  That comment from the other thread makes more sense now. 

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, 1256pickett said:

While the wife is away does she know about the sandwich at the deli?  And the lady behind the counter?  That comment from the other thread makes more sense now. 

I am married, not dead😂

• Haha 7

11 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I found this park brake interlock for my generator breaker on Amazon a few weeks ago.  Ever seen one before?  
8F86D022-D630-481B-A990-34A8E931A050.thumb.jpeg.e5b22cfeab98199a54104e79ee997e13.jpegAA50C5FB-117D-42D9-81A0-CE70FE3D7FDB.thumb.jpeg.9cdce5140a3feed5bb64dba04dabd9c8.jpeg

Also, I’m not familiar with flooring like you have there. Tongue and groove? What’s the filler materiel? Looks cool

Yup I have seen them on some industrial transfer switches, prevents both being closed at the same time

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Looks like an InterlockKit interlock. I’ve done a number of those. Good product if it is, there’s some resonance about “if the panel cover were off” etc etc. personally i think it keeps the cost reasonable and people are more apt to not take risks. SqD makes their own. How much did that cost if you don’t mind my asking?

the floor is laminated 3/4 southern yellow pine to create a 3 layer T+G plank with a tapered mahogany strip to fill the gap. The strips were epoxied in.. when the winter got going and the wood started to shrink with the dry air from the wood stove it was like gunfire. Still a nice look IMO. You can see the end grain of the floor there, and my next punch list item. I intend to make a removable panel there , we’re moving the laundry upstairs, and there’s a lot I need to access in there 

IMG_5673.jpeg

• Like 3

I like that floor.  
 My panel thing is the interlock brand, that’s how I got to jokingly calling it a park brake interlock.  (I’ve been into a few steering columns a few times….shift cable issues and what not).  The breaker lock was under $50 I believe.  Actually got it back a while ago…just got to installing it now.  I have pvc pipe up the walls on each end of my house too, for pushing more wire if need be. 

Fil log home was wired by the original owner.  Who owned a vacuum repair shop....  GREAT fella.  But not electrician.  I don't wanna know what it looks like in the walls but, switches and outlets are in jankey spots.  Too hi too lo.  5' in the room not at the door.  2 diff switch plates 7" apart in same room.  Outlets an a 4 gang switch plate in the basement ceiling.  Not sure why or what for....?  Switch plates which are trimmed to fit.

Don't even want to see panel....

• Like 1

T&G wall looks good!

Wiring in our house is a little sketchy. When we bought the place the only thing we squawked was the electric panel, which had some burning also the outlets had a 50/50 chance on polarity.

I've got one of those interlocks to install but I need to shuffle some breakers around to do it. It's on the list.

6 hours ago, stronger800 said:

I like that floor.  
 My panel thing is the interlock brand, that’s how I got to jokingly calling it a park brake interlock.  (I’ve been into a few steering columns a few times….shift cable issues and what not).  The breaker lock was under $50 I believe.  Actually got it back a while ago…just got to installing it now.  I have pvc pipe up the walls on each end of my house too, for pushing more wire if need be. 

$50 is a steal because they come from the MFR for 150 plus shipping. But they come with a nice metal template and stickers and a thing to hold the breaker from being removed, and even a drill bit and loctite . 

I used the drill bit. Saved the loctite, measured myself because the template was <1/8” off  (I have a 20 year old panel with new and 20 year old mix matched breakers and you know they can vary a whisker) and I thought the stickers were redundant.  

We did our basement walls with T&G maple cut from a tree we cut from our yard. Tree was in the way so we repurposed it. 

Having to move 92 year old mother-in-law in with us now so not able to get pictures of it, but it turned out great.

• Like 3

I made an interlock like that at my old house using a small barrel bolt placed vertically to block either the main or the top left breaker.  If the main was on it blocked the end of the barrel bolt and you could not move it.  When it was closed like that it physically blocked the top double breaker from being turned on.  It worked perfectly and did not cost $150 for a Square D one.  I don't have any pictures, but the building inspector thought it was pretty neat when he inspected the panel for my CO.  

That is some pretty scary wiring Fox Run and Seth!  I do my own because I am terrified of a fire and I can be anal about it.  Most electricians I trust, but some I wouldn't let near my stuff!  Seth, you could wire my house any time!  Good luck.  The problem with finding something like that is that you then feel compelled to tear out everything else on the off chance there could be another "shortcut"!  At least you will know it is done right for your families safety now!

Couldn't care less about fancy wiring or wood.

No wonder wife leaves you for a week.

Where is a pic of the girl behind the counter is what I wanna see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, MTO said:

Couldn't care less about fancy wiring or wood.

No wonder wife leaves you for a week.

Where is a pic of the girl behind the counter is what I wanna see. 

She was a redhead, they don’t show up in photographs. 

• Haha 6

I had never seen one of those lock-outs. I was researching stranded wire pricing online when I came across them. At the local electrical supply store I bought #8 wire for less than half the price of it at lowes.  Lowes was a lot cheaper on 10-3 romex though 

So, as my father said, this is a textbook example of how NOT to do it. 
Baseboard outlets In solid wood is not complicated, it is time consuming. This is what keeps me up at night, and until I get ALL of these replaced i won’t feel comfortable. 
that torn jacket was pinched behind the box and between it and the logs. 
not the first of this I have found. 

IMG_5698.jpeg

IMG_5701.jpeg

IMG_5700.jpeg

IMG_5702.jpeg

IMG_5703.jpeg

This how you do it. 
note how small the old box was . Way undersized. 
the 1.75 hole saw hole allows for the wire to gently curve and not be pinched, and also allows room for the clamp. I like these NM94 (black) connectors for stuff like this. 

IMG_5706.jpeg

IMG_5708.jpeg

IMG_5709.jpeg

IMG_5710.jpeg

IMG_5711.jpeg

IMG_5712.jpeg

IMG_5713.jpeg

• Like 11

1 minute ago, MTO said:

Wrong again. 

How many pics you want?

None thanks, i don’t want to get involved in your illicit activities and prefer to maintain plausible deniability. 

• Haha 1