Case 580 Super M Backhoe - Likes/Dislikes?

By chance are any of you guys running this model of backhoe on your farm? 

What do like or dislike about it?

Good, Bad, Ugly?

What to look for on them when buying one?

Father looking at one that seems like it might need a head gasket (small leak on left side of engine block), some of the cylinders look like they need repacked as they are seeping/wet at the end of the barrels.

We've never owned a hoe on the farm, curious about common issues with these.  From the markings on it, I'm going to guess its a Series I as it just says Super M on the side of panels.

Its in the 6,000hrs range, came from a retired farmer supposedly.

I don't know much about construction equipment, but have to say that out of all the brands that I have had to work on, the 580 series was the most straight forward, simple, and honest machine. 

• Thanks 1

Don’t have an SM, good machine, pilots would be Ideal, if it’s got an Xhoe odds are it doesn’t have case controls, and that would be a good thing IMO, I don’t care for them. Might be old enough not to have emissions also which would be a real big benefit. 
I really like running case machines, for loader work they are head and shoulders over the competition IMO. I would take an SM with pilots and no emissions over the SN we have any day. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mountain Heritage said:

By chance are any of you guys running this model of backhoe on your farm? 

What do like or dislike about it?

Good, Bad, Ugly?

What to look for on them when buying one?

Father looking at one that seems like it might need a head gasket (small leak on left side of engine block), some of the cylinders look like they need repacked as they are seeping/wet at the end of the barrels.

We've never owned a hoe on the farm, curious about common issues with these.  From the markings on it, I'm going to guess its a Series I as it just says Super M on the side of panels.

Its in the 6,000hrs range, came from a retired farmer supposedly.

Case makes a good hoe for sure but compared to a similar weight excavator they are limited in movement like loading options.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, just Dave said:

Case makes a good hoe for sure but compared to a similar weight excavator they are limited in movement like loading options.

A backhoe is like a Swiss Army knife, its not terrific at anything, but if you can only have one tool.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

let me see.... over 50 yrs

'69  pick shovel,3' wagon hauled more than wheel barrow no wheel

'74 case 530 hired in. 1000' water line 500' driveway

'76 back to plow and wagon, plow and cc cart

'78 plow ford wagner loader............add cc cart

'80 wagner/pippin bh/loader too expensive or NLA broken vs buying case 530, use shovel

'84 JD 310 4x new on job ,dont care for 2 stick,same as 30yr operators.....would out push case 350

'86 cat 416 4x ex, 263 new on job ,heaven run circles around anything at 1/2 throttle....several 1000 hours...

'87 hired in 580sk and 530ck

'95 moved 416, 263 to new owner/job   state didnt have all the funding,but greased and did $ 35/65  ,to fill 30' drop/wash x 200'  . 3' off major state road . Discovered after we cleared concealing brush from boss.s new property.

'99 own various IH 3xxx parked for decoration

'04 various 530 at each property

'05 590SL at farm

'12 most any brand '14> or computers is junk

Sk are getting a lot of issues and NLA parts thus plenty full and cheap ...relative

'24>just tried to buy 310g, 426b,580ck,580m.......flippers got FOMO at last minute and run them from $20% to msrp.

Virtually EVERYone with $ left is going heavy small to heavy medium excavators. So BH $ are going to drop like CRE.  I have dug many a hole or trench where they cant go.

I would walk pasted the rest to a 530ck or 416/580 x, '95-2012  I would pic case control and < 4K hrs

we use to crawl over and inside dumpsters with the 310 to pack them full, If a BH was good and tight at a known auction I would run it up to 6' high and set in it for a while.

he would ask if I was ready to get out of the sand box ? But knew that usually doubled $$ for the seller.

Back to OP .....photos /details?   4x <$26K   reg  <$18k   - $4K OS

still a lot of life left at 6k hr ,but construction life is generally done at 4500 hr  so ....govt owned it could be wooped out?

everyone that run those "newer" retired or moved to excv......

(now the kids play video games and cook their meals in side,last big job operators /trades were not allowed to leave machines or work section for any reason. if you were idling for work in a 4x forklift you couldnt cross the tram, to help plumbers getting supplies to the 3rd story with out orders/permits and crossing clearance/crew.)

cylinders will leak all the time and get oops from use no big deal if you have tools or someone local,

cummins 4-390 are sort of the family "detroit" off balance as any 4cyl diesel and weepy, + semi generic built under license (ih or case dodge etc certain parts only)otherwise easy to work on.

We’ve had 2 580K, a B and this 580SN, I've spent some time with an L and a G as well.. the G was a little weird. 

dealer support for the Case have been outstanding, literally never had an NLA part and relative to Cat/Deere the parts have been very reasonable. 
the NEF diesels in those were designed under the Case/Cummins partnership, I don’t know a ton about them but I haven’t heard much negative. They were tier 2 compliant. My only and I mean ONLY complaint about the newer Case machines is that the electronics and diagnostics are proprietary, I believe the SN we bought wasn’t a good purchase and had undisclosed issues, but I couldn’t pin that on Case. 
if you are looking for something a little simpler to work on you might try looking into an L series, which would still be a nice machine to have, most of the K series are getting long in the tooth. 

as far as seals/pins/bushings they are well supported by the dealer, but also widely available through the aftermarket. 

all in all, they are good machines, and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. Good luck with your purchase. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input guys.  Appreciated.