Why I keep my receiver hitch on......

3 hours ago, F-301066460puller said:

You would get a ticket here. Leaving the hitch in the receiver is illegal just like breathing. 

Not enforced unless it's a situation like this.

Funny, "they" will ticket you for a "stinger", in that state, yet let the "protesters" march up and down their streets, burn buildings and businesses, drop pallets of bricks, and bit do a frigging thing🤔🤔🤔. Sign me up for such a lame state 

Mark

1 hour ago, td9inidaho said:

This, if I'm not mistaken is the same state, if you are an illegal, you can get a driver's license, if not even a CDL, if you pay enough money, as well as be given a home, low interest, if not free, just maintain for "x" amount of years. Really?  Sounds like Mexico all over to me. I personally know people that work and live there, it's a zoo 

Mark

Nah the governor that was selling licenses went to jail and has been released already he’s about 90 now…

A couple of weeks ago I had to renew my fed card for a pick up truck and trailer. I went to a clinic my employer goes through so it wasn't my regular doctor or hospital I go to. I passed my test with flying colors. The examiner saw I had recent knee surgeries and asked why. Even though I passed my test she was going to deny signing card because of my surgeries and certain lifting restrictions I have because of them. I asked her how a 500 lbs trucker or Ha-mere' who can't speak English get their cards signed. So then it became I needed a letter from my primary doctor saying it's okay and safe for me to drive. So many examples of run arounds or needing to fight the system for the working Joe, but other people no problems at all.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

This, if I'm not mistaken is the same state, if you are an illegal, you can get a driver's license, if not even a CDL, if you pay enough money, as well as be given a home, low interest, if not free, just maintain for "x" amount of years. Really?  Sounds like Mexico all over to me. I personally know people that work and live there, it's a zoo 

Mark

They can be cops now too I think and vote of course. 

4 hours ago, FoxrunFarms02 said:

A couple of weeks ago I had to renew my fed card for a pick up truck and trailer. I went to a clinic my employer goes through so it wasn't my regular doctor or hospital I go to. I passed my test with flying colors. The examiner saw I had recent knee surgeries and asked why. Even though I passed my test she was going to deny signing card because of my surgeries and certain lifting restrictions I have because of them. I asked her how a 500 lbs trucker or Ha-mere' who can't speak English get their cards signed. So then it became I needed a letter from my primary doctor saying it's okay and safe for me to drive. So many examples of run arounds or needing to fight the system for the working Joe, but other people no problems at all.

I'm 6'5" 287lbs. They hassle me about my neck size. I'm diabetic anyways so I can only get a 1yr card in the first place. Just say no to all the right questions lol

• Like 2

I think it deskins the shin ! Not the best suggestion 

I take mine out. The truck is long enough as it is and some of the spots I need to park are too short, so every inch counts. If I happen to touch the vehicle behind me with the bumper there's no damage while the ball or pintle will make a hole in the guy's plastic before I can even feel it. Besides, I hate busting my shins on it. I don't know if there's a statute here.

• Like 1

My insurance paid to fix a hole in some ladies Toyota bumper. She said I backed into her and my hitch went through. I told the insurance I have a one ton with a lift kit. If I backed into her silver Toyota, she needs a new hood not bumper. Store and traffic cameras proved it wasn't me. There was a black BMW behind me. I drove forward. My insurance paid her anyway. They said she had my plate number so it must have been me.🤷‍♂️

Mine stays in as much as it's out. Around here if you leave it in too long though, you won't get it out. My 2.5 receiver only accepts 2 inch now. I left the sleeve in and it now has rusted-as-one with the truck.

The 2" ball has been win the receiver on my red truck so long I don't know if it would come out! Have run into that before, had to chain it to a tree or something and give it a jerk. One in the Dodge gets changed occasionally from 2" to no ball so it removes easily. Still stays in there all the time. 

11 hours ago, F-301066460puller said:

You would get a ticket here. Leaving the hitch in the receiver is illegal just like breathing. 

Not enforced unless it's a situation like this.

It's not illegal in South Dakota.

Is Illinois the land where nothing is allowed?

Thought that was Minnesota.

I thought it was insurance companies that wanted to make it illegal to have a hitch in while not towing with it.  The damage a hitch causes can get way more expensive than if there had been a light bump with no hitch in the receiver.  Just insurance cos trying to line their own pockets again.

• Like 2

The ball mount on my pickup is smaller than the bumper... it'll start to slow the car down. I get rear ended the car will have Bradford built backwards indented on its front end. Flatbed is bolted to 11 feet of frame.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, F-301066460puller said:

I'm 6'5" 287lbs. They hassle me about my neck size. I'm diabetic anyways so I can only get a 1yr card in the first place. Just say no to all the right questions lol

What I discovered for next time.

I guess it's kind of a jerk move to keep the reveiver in. I don't move a lot of wagons with my truck but at the same point if you're not paying attention I'll make you remember/pay for it. My big concern is if that happens to a truck with sensors.....how much do one of those cost to replace?

Insurance companies love placing the blame on someone else to avoid paying. After I got ran over and dragged, during my helicopter ride they left a voice-mail wanting to know if I had cones out and a vest on......so they could pin it on me not being visible and wanting a statement while I was " out of it". They also like to use the line " act of God" there's ways to get around that but unfortunately my attorney has been dealing with them for almost 3 years now......all a game.

Around here I have gone for weeks on end with a basket extending 20" behind the bumper on a long Suburban. Makes it hard to park an Walmart unless I use 2 spots. Never had a warning or ticket.  Texas the land of the free!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, FoxrunFarms02 said:

don't move a lot of wagons with my truck but at the same point if you're not paying attention I'll make you remember/pay for it

It isn't always about paying attention. Sometimes there are other circumstances involved. Sun in your eyes, lack of brake lights etc.  Yeah it plays some part. But its not necessarily malicious.

Being human means you are going to make mistakes. What do they say about pride and ego sometimes? It could be you in the other seat someday. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

It isn't always about paying attention. Sometimes there are other circumstances involved. Sun in your eyes, lack of brake lights etc.  Yeah it plays some part. But its not necessarily malicious.

Being human means you are going to make mistakes. What do they say about pride and ego sometimes? It could be you in the other seat someday. 

With my accident i tried putting myself  in the kids and parents shoes. Seeing the investigation pictures the kid didn't look freaked out, concerned or sorry he almost killed me or understood the seriousness, seeing the look on the parents faces when they arrived was a different story I'm sure they had many sleepless nights waiting on a letter from their insurance or my attorney. They'd call the shop weekly asking about me and sent a get well card until they found out I had an attorney. As much as I get mad about the kid messing up my life I know we were all 16 once and slowly forgiving him.......the accident gave me a better work opportunity  that I love.

With yesterday's incident I thought " if this was my wife how would I want that person to react?" So that's why I stayed mellow.

I still feel like accidents just don't happen they're caused.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FoxrunFarms02 said:

With my accident i tried putting myself  in the kids and parents shoes. Seeing the investigation pictures the kid didn't look freaked out, concerned or sorry he almost killed me or understood the seriousness, seeing tge look on the parents faces when they arrived wad a different story I'm sure they had many sleepless nights waiting on a letter from their insurance or my attorney. They'd call the shop weekly asking about me and sent a get well card until they fiund out I had an attorney. As much as I get maf about the kid messing up my life I know we were all 16 once and slowly forgiving him.......the accident gave me a better work opportunity  that I love.

With yesterday's incident I thought " if this was my wife how would I want that person to react?" So that's why I stayed mellow.

I still feel like accidents just don't happen they're caused

All im saying is going with it serves them right attitude might not be the best attitude in life. Life has a funny way sometimes of putting the shoe on the foot if you get too prideful sometimes. Could be you or the Mrs rear ending someone. I doubt you want the serves them right attitude thrown at them if there is remorse. If no remorse shown, sure #uck em.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, F-301066460puller said:

2019... says anything over 4" past bumper. 

So, is it illegal to drive with the tailgate down?    Does it require a red flag to be in the open position?  My head is starting to hurt......😆

• Like 4

17 hours ago, F-301066460puller said:

2019... says anything over 4" past bumper. 

So, is it illegal to drive with the tailgate down?    Does it require a red flag to be in the open position?  My head is starting to hurt......😆

I live in Illinois and leave mine in all the time. That way I have it when I need it to pull my trailer. Not going to worry about it personally. If some overzealous officer wants to give me a driving award for it then so be it. 

• Like 3

2 1/2" sleeve was well rusted in mine. I had to drive it out, bead blast, paint, and put back in with Fluid Film.

21 hours ago, mader656 said:

The ball mount on my pickup is smaller than the bumper... it'll start to slow the car down. I get rear ended the car will have Bradford built backwards indented on its front end. Flatbed is bolted to 11 feet of frame.

"Indented on its front end" 😂