How do they know?

vtfireman85

Periodically I have phases of getting spam calls sometimes is “visa-Mastercard services” (I thought they were competitors!?) sometimes just nobody there, and sometimes some rubbish about google listing. They come through as either “potential spam” or sometimes it is a semi local phone number with a VT extension and it might say some obscure town in VT like Lunenburg…ain’t nobody from Lunenburg. 
It might go 4-5 hours without a call , but as soon as someone calls me or if I call someone else, I no more than get the phone hung up and it rings with one of these calls.

I feel like some creepy scammer big brother is watching me. 

Yeah. I've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty...

Don't know the number?... Don't answer. As soon as you answer your number goes into a database that tells them it's an active number that answers. They might not talk you into refinancing your student debt, but maybe you'll fall for the life insurance for $9.95/mo.

I screen unknown calls through my voicemail.

• Like 4

A friend of mine plays with the car warranty guys. Asks them questions like which car? They'll dance around that for a while with answers like "the one about to run out of warranty". He'll keep them going until he'll finally say "I had nothing to do so I've wasted your time so you'll have less time to scam someone else".  I wouldn't have that kind of patience but he gets a perverse fun out of it.

I realize that if you search something the search engine will then start targeting you with similar item but sometimes it seems all you have to do is talk about it and you get target emails. We don't have Alexa and the computer mics are all muted.

One of my boys needs a windshield in his 2004 Grand Prix.  Made the mistake of doing an online quote with Safelite, now get 3 or 4 emails a day about scheduling a replacement. 

7 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

One of my boys needs a windshield in his 2004 Grand Prix.  Made the mistake of doing an online quote with Safelite, now get 3 or 4 emails a day about scheduling a replacement. 

isn't there an option at the bottom of each email to unsubscibe?...in small font

• Like 1

Fire Dept. board meeting we was discussing our "led" sign out by the road. Somebody stated we bought it from Stewart sign company, mere minute later secretary looked at her phone for some reason. Already a pop-up ad for Stewart Sign company........that my friends is creepy. She has NEVER went to their website. 

Call me old fashion....Call me over the hill. Not going to say I will never have a smart phone, but can NOT think of a reason to have one. 

• Like 3

I just dumped 2 phone lies and numbers and AT&T. I have had for the past 16 years, just to get rid of scammers, the  final straw was final a resting insurance provider.

I was also getting, just about daily calls, wanting to purchase my "I live in" house.

My gut feeling on these age based scammers is the low paid employees in the human suffering business are selling confidential medical records.

My phones been pretty good for spam calls. I don’t give it (my number)out freely though and don’t typically subscribe to anything. About 10 years ago I had a run in with a credit company. One of those business that buys up bad debts then tries to collect on them. What a pita that was. Somehow they got my number and were bound and determined that so and so was there and they’d eventually get through to them. Went on for about 3 years. Some days they’d tried several times in a hour then all of a sudden they’d quit for a month or two. Quit picking up the phone for the most part then. One day they called and I answered again. Finally got someone who could speak English and could understand what I was telling them.  They apologized for the trouble and I never got another call from them after that again. 

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Periodically I have phases of getting spam calls sometimes is “visa-Mastercard services” (I thought they were competitors!?) sometimes just nobody there, and sometimes some rubbish about google listing. They come through as either “potential spam” or sometimes it is a semi local phone number with a VT extension and it might say some obscure town in VT like Lunenburg…ain’t nobody from Lunenburg. 
It might go 4-5 hours without a call , but as soon as someone calls me or if I call someone else, I no more than get the phone hung up and it rings with one of these calls.

I feel like some creepy scammer big brother is watching me. 

If’n you feel someone sniffing your hair…use protection 😂

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

If’n you feel someone sniffing your hair…use protection 😂

What hair? If anyone is sniffing where I have hair, THEY better use protection. 

• Haha 5

They know because we live in a society that no matter how many times folks are warned to protect their personal information they continue to give that information to anyone that asks.  They sign up for the grocery store rewards card (using their real name and address), and allow the grocery store to scan their drivers license to purchase alcohol,  install "free" apps on their smart phone which are spying on everything they do on that phone, post their every thought on social media, purchase a vehicle that has "On Star" or equivalent, provide their e-mail and phone number at the checkstand of any store that asks, etc, etc, etc.

All these and more are simply information gathering systems that are compiling and selling your personal information to anyone who will pay for it.

Oh yeah, then pay an outfit like LifeLock to protect them from identify theft.

7 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Those are irritating. 

But I have found that if you hit the Unsubscibe link on bottom of email they will subside.

The national donotcall thing seems to be working here.  Try hitting it yearly to be safe.  Have not gotten any junk calls for quite sometime.

I used to get quite a few spam calls on my mobile phone.  For the longest time I just ignored them but they never quit.  Finally I thought maybe if I whiz them off bad enough they will quit?  So instead of ignoring them,  I would answer the call, connect with a real live person, switch the phone to speaker, and place the phone near an ear splitting noise, like a 2 lb hammer on steel sheet or splitting wood with a sledge and wedge etc.  Much to my surprise the spam calls soon dropped off to pretty much nothing.

I did get a rash of text spam in the last month or so of political garbage.  I report it all as junk.

16 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Go to the very bottom of one of the emails.

The should be an Opt Out function there.

Use it and they should go away.

I usually try to turn it around. Tell them I am not interested in what they are selling but I have something they might be interested in. Hard at times to get them to stop long enough to listen but if I do I ask them if they know where they are going when they die. Often the phone goes dead at that point but once in a great while do get to carry on a short conversation. 

• Haha 1

I love the pre-recorded messages that end with "to speak to an agent/representative, press 1, or whatever...

When a live person answers, say "Sheriff's Department, who would you like to speak with? "

That has resulted in a fairly long strech without a spam call.

Evidently word gets around.

Mike

• Like 1

Years ago when land lines used to try to sell you their service at "ten cents a minute" we got the call. They asked to speak to the person in charge of the phone bill. We gave the phone to our one year old. She pranced around the house for twenty minutes babbling incoherently into the phone. When we finally took it away from her it was the busy signal beep beep beep. 

Wonder how long they had stayed on the line with her?