1086 MCV will not prime.

Reece

Removed TA housing in my 1086 to replace the PTO driven gear. I replaced the O-ring in between the housing and the rear end for the hyd oil pickup. Got the tractor back together and for the life of me I can’t get it to steer, also have no breaks, clutch assist or TA. MCV worked perfectly fine before removing it. I have tried removing multiple plugs on my MCV housing per my Case IH dealers recommendations. Tractor has hy-capacity TA so it has some plugs in the housing, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

• Like 1

What “plugs”? There is nothing different about a Hy-Capacity TA that requires “plugs”. 

Do the other hydraulics work?. Did you remove the plug that uses a 5/8 box end wrench? Only plug that comes with hy capacity is for the plastic steering check valve. If the plug is in the tractor you will not have manual steering. Don't know of any other plugs

Why replace the PTO driven gear ?

I have had many of those torn down , and can only recall replacing 2 gears because of failure

The 5/8" wrench plug on the rear edge of the MCV is all that is needed to prime the pump -- and rarely that , unless the pump is bad or an install error

When you installed the MCV -- you got the little spring on the "land between the holes" -- correct ?

If you can find a hose end fitting that matches the plug others talked about, get a hose made with that fitting on one end and a standard fitting on the other end so you can hook it to a remote and pull the lever and pump some oil in, it should prime if it's ever going to.  A coop near here had hoses hooked to the mcv of several 806s all the time.

On 4/9/2024 at 8:17 PM, Reece said:

Removed TA housing in my 1086 to replace the PTO driven gear. I replaced the O-ring in between the housing and the rear end for the hyd oil pickup. Got the tractor back together and for the life of me I can’t get it to steer, also have no breaks, clutch assist or TA. MCV worked perfectly fine before removing it. I have tried removing multiple plugs on my MCV housing per my Case IH dealers recommendations. Tractor has hy-capacity TA so it has some plugs in the housing, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Hope you get it going. Some good info by some people on here.

On 4/9/2024 at 8:17 PM, Reece said:

I would check the mcv gaskets. There are different ones for TA and non Ta tractors. The hose to the 5/8 head plug works also. The TA steering pump can be a bugger to prime if everything isn’t right. The hyd oil filter oring can leak air and cause hard priming. It got so if I was working on a speed transmission or ta I would pull pto and main hyd pump and reseal all seals especially the pickup tube to top of filter housing that one causes a lot of issues.  I replaced a few pto driven gears usually after a wrong pitch pto drive was installed. Good luck

On 4/11/2024 at 6:33 PM, HydroTek said:

Unless you done something wrong -- or have a failed pump

Removing that little plug will prime up in a couple of seconds

Have a helper hold a bucket to catch the oil
and be ready to shut the engine off quickly

My 806 gas lost prime while augering corn.  It NEVER primed itself even with the plug out and over full. I ended up taking the suction gun thing and pulling oil through it while idling, cheaper than 6 trips to town for fittings and 10 feet of hyd hose.

19 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

My 806 gas lost prime while angering corn.  It NEVER primed itself even with the plug out and over full. I ended up taking the suction gun thing and pulling oil through it while idling, cheaper than 6 trips to town for fittings and 10 feet of hyd hose.

Good idea! My 15,000hr 706D is a bugger to prime after it sits a long time. The last time I removed the plug and put air pressure to the dipstick/fill port.