Got my eye on you...

tperson

Eyeballing a potential candidate for our next project, a 660 gas, and have a few questions for those that are better versed than we are: These had a 263 engine, right? The documentation I found (tractor data) says yes, but Dad is saying he's finding that a 282 was used (I've never heard of a 282 gas). Next question: how many were made? I can't find much on production numbers, but Dad claims <100...any input? The final question: what's a neglected, but complete, 6300+hr 660 worth in Nebraska with a cracked block, 4 rotten tires, and one bad rear rim? I'm guessing $3K+ given the scarcity.

Looks remarkably complete and the tin is excellent...could be a mechanical basket case though. The unknown condition of the TA has us a little uneasy. 

660G.PNG

• Like 5

Tractor data website, tractordata.com, has all kinds of info.

Starting serial # was 501, last they knew of was 6995, so at least 6400 +/- built.

The 282 was a Diesel engine.

Mike

To add to the confusion - I think we learned on here several months ago that there WAS a C282 (gas 282). I don't think it was used in any tractors but maybe as the power unit in some other equipment. I dont remember which thread this was in. But I think there was such a thing as a 282 gas, but that it was never a factory option in a tractor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

To add to the confusion - I think we learned on here several months ago that there WAS a C282 (gas 282). I don't think it was used in any tractors but maybe as the power unit in some other equipment. I dont remember which thread this was in. But I think there was such a thing as a 282 gas, but that it was never a factory option in a tractor.

Here’s a relatively recent thread on the subject. 

C282

6 hours ago, tperson said:
Eyeballing a potential candidate for our next project, a 660 gas, and have a few questions for those that are better versed than we are: These had a 263 engine, right? The documentation I found (tractor data) says yes, but Dad is saying he's finding that a 282 was used (I've never heard of a 282 gas). Next question: how many were made? I can't find much on production numbers, but Dad claims <100...any input? The final question: what's a neglected, but complete, 6300+hr 660 worth in Nebraska with a cracked block, 4 rotten tires, and one bad rear rim? I'm guessing $3K+ given the scarcity.

Looks remarkably complete and the tin is excellent...could be a mechanical basket case though. The unknown condition of the TA has us a little uneasy. 

660G.PNG

Asking about value of something, in this forum, is somewhere between chucking a live grenade, and proclaiming your love for Tractor supply hydraulic fluid, in terms of inciting argument.

My opinion (worth every penny you're paying for it) is, whatever you feel comfortable paying, is what it's worth. That number is going to vary wildly from person to person. If you want it, and the price is right FOR YOU, buy it and don't look back.

I've paid $2500 for not-quite-rare-but-uncommon tractors several states away, and paid hundreds more to get them home. I couldn't care less what someone else would pay.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Fenders too?   I was including those big fenders as  sheet metal, but I realize I did not specify.  I’ve given 300 for just a few trim pieces for an 806, and was very happy to get them.  A nice the member here took the time to locate them, remove and ship them to me.  Where local yards just said “we don’t have those”. 

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

Fenders too?   I was including those big fenders as  sheet metal, but I realize I did not specify.  I’ve given 300 for just a few trim pieces for an 806, and was very happy to get them.  A nice the member here took the time to locate them, remove and ship them to me.  Where local yards just said “we don’t have those”. 

Reminds me, do you still need those 1066 parts?

A gas 660 without fenders sold for $1,200 a few years ago in Pennsylvania where tractors usually sell higher than other areas in the country.. as others have said it's worth what you feel it is 

• Like 1

yes region/state etc....what its worth to you after months labor and another $3K +

$1500-2200...2x scrap -  $2k for engine needed.    2nd tractor for block then rebuild....

work it backwards factory off the line restored  $30K ..your never getting a whale over $15k

So call it $10K and start deducting  the $5K+ in repairs I can see from here.

Have 2-3 < $3k all in to start swapping parts then it works.

It does have a few scarce parts

Here the scrapper would take along some starving illegals and get it free or paid to haul, and want $20K for parts.

Like the super ultra mega RARE !! 350du he got for $800 and wants $10K,     I'll part with at least 3 for that price

Remember,  rare sometimes just means nobody wanted when new either.  Maybe not in this case. But rare don't always mean valuable.  

My opinion (also worth the price you paid) get it as cheap as you can.  I'd be more worried about the tires and cost to replace than I would be about the ta at this point.  Ta will run in direct till you can get to it, most likely. 

Hope you get it bought for a price that works for you. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure and I can't look at it because I'm on the road but I'm pretty sure my manual for the gas engines covers the C221; C263; C282 and C301. I replaced the C221 in my backhoe with a C301The 221 is dry sleeved and I'm pretty sure the 263 is too. The 301 is parent bore for sure and I don't remember if the 282 is sleeved or parent bore. As far as I can tell there's no real differences in the blocks. It seems for the larger displacements they just gave up on sleeves and bored out the casting. Anyway, the 301 certainly livened up the loader along with the fuel consumption.

The selling price is what is agreed on by the buyer and seller.

Start low and work your way up, if you want to and have to.

It's your money.

• Like 2

Looks about like what i started with when i restored my 560 D.

Junk yards in my ( row crop) area are full of 560’s but 660’s are far and few between here. A 660 will be more desirable then a 560when finished. 

I do know of one 660 D in a junk yard if i can help let me know. I really like those.

BABC5628-7EC1-4192-A8BE-E52D8AA5AAD2.thumb.jpeg.12a178fedce2c3b1bb4d30c508ae6b10.jpeg

57E791FD-3710-43FA-83A9-F38663839C9E.thumb.jpeg.27bc344cf14b2813531ad03df2a94869.jpeg

• Like 4

For anyone that cares or is interested, 

560/660 - C263

503 combine - C282

706 - C291

806 - C301

Source is tractor data and150 Years IHC Red book

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/9/2024 at 12:46 PM, tperson said:

660G.PNG

I would be less worried about the ta as the engine block is more problems. It is a rarer tractor and seems to be factory gas engine. Can’t remember if 660 had diesel on bottom of emblems like a 560. Good luck on purchase. You will have a one of not many tractors when done..

9 hours ago, oldscoutdiesel said:

For anyone that cares or is interested, 

560/660 - C263

503 combine - C282

706 - C291

806 - C301

Source is tractor data and150 Years IHC Red book

Im pretty sure my 560 is a 282 and a 660 is just a 282 with the injector pump turned up a little.

Referring to Diesels .

On 4/9/2024 at 1:21 PM, stronger800 said:

Somebody that wants them would give more than 1200 for the sheet-metal, imo 

Finding the "want" is the issue.  How many people are restoring 660?  Like a 55 chevy.  Prices have dropped for mint OEM ones.  People whom remember them are going or gone.  

Here....scrap price.  600 700?

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 7:03 PM, jimw said:

A picture of serial plate would be nice

Yeah, I thought the same thing, but it's not visible in the pictures we have. 

7 hours ago, dale560 said:

I would be less worried about the ta as the engine block is more problems. It is a rarer tractor and seems to be factory gas engine. Can’t remember if 660 had diesel on bottom of emblems like a 560. Good luck on purchase. You will have a one of not many tractors when done..

Interesting perspective on the engine and TA. I guess we're more concerned about the TA just because of fear of the unknown. I've got a potential lead on an engine...or at least enough parts to hopefully repair what's needed. The 660 Diesels did say "Diesel" under the "660" and, per the pictures, the gassers did not. 

4 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Im pretty sure my 560 is a 282 and a 660 is just a 282 with the injector pump turned up a little.

Referring to Diesels .

Correct. Same block, different engine speeds (660 Diesel's are 2400rpm).

This is the 660D we finished about a year ago...a 660 gas would fit into the lineup nicely as we already have a 460U, 560W diesel, and a 6660W diesel (amongst other red toys). Sorry, it's about the only picture I have of the 660 finished. 

TractorLineup.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/11/2024 at 7:16 AM, lorenzo said:

Referring to Diesels .

560 is governed at 1800 rpm, 660 is running at 2400.

Mike

• Thanks 1