Bringing this over from the general chat.  Picked this old girl up a couple weeks ago.  Pretty rare bird. Have gotten started on a few things so far. Wanted to get it running first and see what I have.  Points were rusted in half so it got a tune up.

20240318_144554.jpg

20240326_185506.jpg

20240326_151035.jpg

VideoCapture_20240327-093603.jpg

• Like 10

Been digging in. Had the girl running on propane before I started to tear into it. Been working with my son.  He's 14 and this will be his first project tractor.  

Working through the basics. New plugs, wires, and some minor electrical to run it. Verified that i had oil pressure to the rockers. Gauge line was broken.  Need to pull oil pan to inspect bottom end but everything looks amazing so far.  Pulled the radiator to flush and check for leaks. Removed fenders and platform and many parts to get prepped for paint. Next is to rebuild water pump and pressure wash clean.  Will prob run and check for more leaks. Will have to pull clutch cover to inspect it. Hand clutch.  Feels like it's engaging properly.   We will see.  Every bolt has come out with little fight. Gotta love that so far.  

20240408_165942.jpg

20240408_165958.jpg

• Like 8

Water pump is proving to be a challenge. I don't think bearings and seals will be the issue. Bushings and the gasket to the block are hard to find. Anyone know if the water pump on a 650 LP or Gas was used on any other tractors?  

20240408_170013.jpg

20240411_192004.jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, hillman said:

nothing special about the water pump gasket, Get used to making gaskets  IMHO

Yeah you're probably right on that one. I had planned on that being a good possibility given the rarity of these parts. That is part of the fun.  

I really think this old girl is going to have to meet the sandblaster for the non-sheetmetal stuff.  I know the cons of doing it but if I take good care of blocking off areas I think I'll be fine.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hillman said:

has anyone tried one of those sandblaster attachments for a pressure washer? I am tempted to buy one

The no dust and reduced splash back was great. Instant rerust not so much. Keeping pressure hose and siphon hose arranged and sand dry keeps you busy and reduces productivity. The killer was after 8-10 bags of sand. The water orifice wore enough that not all water went straight out the nozzle. Result was loss of siphon and siphon hose plugged with wet sand. My experience with one model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Been busy trying to farm with record April rainfall. No fun. Sent the regulator off to be checked out to a gentleman that was recommended through a Facebook group. Turns out it was pretty good shape inside and needed just a few adjustments, and new gaskets, etc.  Son convinced me to take the platform and fenders off and a few other things. Once the regulator and carb are put back on, I'm going to run it some and see where all the leaks are. I'm sure there will be a few.  Only have one field of corn in so far this spring so the crops will take up my time for a while here.

20240408_192206.jpg

20240408_192216.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

More cleaning on the 650 today and noticed a couple things. Yellow primer has been a topic before. Well it looks as if someone wrote their initials in yellow.  At the factory?  And also looks like the letters "LP" on the block. Was it sitting somewhere at the assembly line and someone designated this an LP block instead of gas?  Interesting. Got the water pump rebuilt and have inspected the clutch. All looks good but the clutch goes over center really hard and kinda noisy when it snaps. Like you're hitting it with a hammer. It slides easily but is loud. I've never dealt with one. Is this normal?

And for some reason it wants to post the pics upside down. 20240517_113259.thumb.jpg.08c871bde6469363ce7d3a0e509b40fb.jpg

20240517_113326.thumb.jpg.13e6c837104d7e35bdad4652eeaead1d.jpg20240517_114048.jpg

• Like 3

Never been around an IH hand clutch but a John Deere will make an audible pop/snap when it over centers and it is not running. 

9 hours ago, JDpartsman said:

Never been around an IH hand clutch but a John Deere will make an audible pop/snap when it over centers and it is not running. 

That makes sense. We will see how it acts when it's running. Was inspecting the front end yesterday and the spindles that go up through the axle will need new bearings. Am I correct that these are kinda hard to come by?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the rear tires off. Nothing the acetylene crescent wrench couldnt handle. One was still completely full of fluid. That baby was heavy. Relied on the engine crane to move away from the tractor. It was all it wanted to handle. Got the hubs off and they look really good.  Will probably replace axle seals since I'm this close and inspect bearings.  

20240523_215138.jpg

20240523_215141.jpg

20240523_203818.jpg

20240523_164425.jpg

20240518_113225.jpg

20240518_113220.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/17/2024 at 11:07 AM, IH Blood 1206 said:

More cleaning on the 650 today and noticed a couple things. Yellow primer has been a topic before. Well it looks as if someone wrote their initials in yellow.  At the factory?  And also looks like the letters "LP" on the block. Was it sitting somewhere at the assembly line and someone designated this an LP block instead of gas?  Interesting. Got the water pump rebuilt and have inspected the clutch. All looks good but the clutch goes over center really hard and kinda noisy when it snaps. Like you're hitting it with a hammer. It slides easily but is loud. I've never dealt with one. Is this normal?

And for some reason it wants to post the pics upside down. 20240517_113259.thumb.jpg.08c871bde6469363ce7d3a0e509b40fb.jpg

20240517_113326.thumb.jpg.13e6c837104d7e35bdad4652eeaead1d.jpg20240517_114048.jpg

The clutch looks the same as is in the TD6 crawler, they do make a snap noise when engaging, set the clutch by the pull on the handle, 40 lbs. of pull is what is recommended on the crawlers. There are several grease zerk fittings on the clutch linkage.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, louie figone said:

The clutch looks the same as is in the TD6 crawler, they do make a snap noise when engaging, set the clutch by the pull on the handle, 40 lbs. of pull is what is recommended on the crawlers. There are several grease zerk fittings on the clutch linkage.

I went through and greased everything on the clutch linkage/assembly. Someone told me that it will act differently when the tractor is running. We will see.

Unfortunately found a couple pieces of what may be bearing pieces in the bottom of the rear end today after draining oil and pulling the pto.  Will have to see if it is from a previous repair or if it's something I have to deal with now. 

Screenshot_20240609_182818_Samsung Internet.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had some time to work on the old girl today. Searching for the source of bearing material in the rear end. So far, haven't found the source. Did however find that someone has been in here before.  One inner axle bearing looks to have been replaced at some time. It's the only one that isn't IH so far.  Will keep looking.  Took some effort to get the rear apart but we got it.  Loving this project so far. Hopefully will start putting things back together soon.

20240622_163447.jpg

Screenshot_20240622_192738_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20240622_192731_Snapchat.jpg

• Like 8

Well after looking things over, it looks as if both inner axle bearings have been replaced at some point and the bearing pieces I found seem to match those out of the double roller bearings on the inner axle. Everything else is completely intact and seems good.  Both outer axle bearings are bad so those will get replaced.  Tiny little bit of play on the brake shaft splines in the differential but I don't see a need to tear it down.  I am hesitant to pull the transmission cover and messing something up. As long as it's in neutral, I should be able to line up the forks but it bugs me. It all works so I just want to leave it!  I really should look at the gears since I'm this far already. If my son has his way it's going to be brand new when we are done.

20240623_102938.jpg

20240623_102942.jpg

20240623_102946.jpg

20240623_114821.jpg

20240623_170027.jpg

• Like 6

Pulled the trans cover and everything looks great.  No damage to gears or bearings that I can tell. Everything looks great. Might be starting to turn the corner on the project once I get the rear end put back on.  

Am I correct that on the 650s the bull gears were updated and strengthened compared to the W-9 or 600?  They are massive.

20240623_115108.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Getting close to thinking about paint.  So what are people using these days for paint?  I want this to last and not fade.  I just have a HVLP gun and not much experience with it. I will prob let a body shop do the fenders, hood, etc.  I want the red to be red. Not range or pink in a few years.  I've been told the PCC paint from Napa is OK. What is everyone using?

20240706_132550.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/24/2024 at 9:39 AM, IH Blood 1206 said:

Pulled the trans cover and everything looks great.  No damage to gears or bearings that I can tell. Everything looks great. Might be starting to turn the corner on the project once I get the rear end put back on.  

Am I correct that on the 650s the bull gears were updated and strengthened compared to the W-9 or 600?  They are massive.

20240623_115108.jpg

I don't think the diameter is different on the bull gears. the rearend housing would have to be bigger. What I have found from W6-SW6 TA was the centers were heavier. I can't speck to your model but a larger diameter would not be possible without a lot of expense

On 7/6/2024 at 11:02 PM, IH Blood 1206 said:

Getting close to thinking about paint.  So what are people using these days for paint?  I want this to last and not fade.  I just have a HVLP gun and not much experience with it. I will prob let a body shop do the fenders, hood, etc.  I want the red to be red. Not range or pink in a few years.  I've been told the PCC paint from Napa is OK. What is everyone using?

20240706_132550.jpg

We have been using iron guard from CNH with hardener added. Just over $100 a gallon it's hard for me to justify automotive paint for a tractor as I want to use lightly anything I have for its intended uses 

I went ahead and got paint at Napa. We will see how it goes. Guys on YouTube are using it and have said good things about it.  Putting the new bearings on the rear axles and installing the rear end back on the tractor over the next couple days. Big thanks to Roy's Red Iron for finding some NOS IH bearings for me!

20240712_150953.jpg

• Like 4