Front axle pin removal on 88 series

I am putting new axle pivot bushings in my 50. Any advice on getting the pin out?

So far I welded a nut to the pin and have a all thread in it trying to pull it out thru a pipe spacer.

This can be tough.  My guys did one this winter.  They ended up hacking away at the front half with the plasma cutter then finally got it to drive out.  They stick in there pretty good.

57 minutes ago, billonthefarm said:

This can be tough.  My guys did one this winter.  They ended up hacking away at the front half with the plasma cutter then finally got it to drive out.  They stick in there pretty good.

Same here, I did my 5288 last winter.  The small crosspin came right out, but the big pivot pin was a pain.  I ended up torching out as much as I could, then driving the rest out with an air hammer.  Not a fun job, the grease catches on fire and drips everywhere stinking up the shop.

1 hour ago, Mike56073 said:

Same here, I did my 5288 last winter.  The small crosspin came right out, but the big pivot pin was a pain.  I ended up torching out as much as I could, then driving the rest out with an air hammer.  Not a fun job, the grease catches on fire and drips everywhere stinking up the shop.

Pretty much exactly that!

If this is an early 88 so like an 86, I was able to remove the ball and socket from the back end of the wish bone and pry the whole front end far enough back to torch the pin between the bolster and the axle tube.  Then it was easy to torch the pin out of the bolster and it came right out of axle tube.

It took me a week and a blown 3 ton jack to get it out. Jack inbetween the wishbone and the pin and keep pressure on it and heat and wack it... Id say it probably took me 3-4 hours of man time and another week of just keeping pressure on it. Then one day about a week later I hit it good I heard a ting and it was loose just like that.

Rent or borrow a caldo torch. Blow a hole through the center of the pin, when it cools it will tap right out. Nothing better for doing king pins. IMG_0701.thumb.png.588fa87aba82484242a55fff68e68224.png

8 hours ago, Binderoid said:

Rent or borrow a caldo torch. Blow a hole through the center of the pin, when it cools it will tap right out. Nothing better for doing king pins. IMG_0701.thumb.png.588fa87aba82484242a55fff68e68224.png

I made my own thermal lance out of some fittings I brazed together to hook up to the oxygen tank. I used 5/8” brake line for the lance. I struck an arc with the welder to light the brake line on fire. I used it the other day to get the twisted off jack bolts out of a Deere taper lock hub. It went right through those 7/8” bolts. 

And I thought removing the axle pin from the front end of my Farmall Super A was tough 😉; learn something new every day

Anything that makes molten metal run on the ground like water has my attention.

If it needs a Gas Axe to light it, it is super cool.

x2.

So I just thread my oxygen hose onto a length of pipe, light it and let it eat?  
How have we not seen this before. 

Just googled DIY thermic lance and watched a guy hook brake line to a map gas sized oxygen cylinder with just a quick piece of hose slid over the fittings.  He says don’t try this at home, but it shows the concept.  Neat. 
I’ve heard of guys melting stuck 3pt pins out like that 

4 hours ago, stronger800 said:

x2.

So I just thread my oxygen hose onto a length of pipe, light it and let it eat?  
How have we not seen this before. 

Just googled DIY thermic lance and watched a guy hook brake line to a map gas sized oxygen cylinder with just a quick piece of hose slid over the fittings.  He says don’t try this at home, but it shows the concept.  Neat. 
I’ve heard of guys melting stuck 3pt pins out like that 

I had an old junk cutting torch that didn’t work for reasons I don’t remember. I took the valve and flashback arrester off of it. The valve was 1/8” pipe. I screwed a piece of 1/8” pipe on it and brazed a brake line adapter on. I hook the valve up to the oxygen line on my torch. I use long pieces of 3/8” brake line for the lance. Turn on the oxygen and strike an arc with the stick welder to ignite the tubing. The oxygen causes the metal to burn as well as blow out the molten steel. Once it is burning, you cannot put it out as long as oxygen is flowing. You can shove it right through whatever you are trying to get out. The brake line will be consumed in the process. It is absolutely priceless for some things. It will blow a hole right through a stuck pin or large bolt. Just shove it in and the liquid metal will blow back out until you are on the other side and leave a hole where you’ve been. I don’t use it that much, but I only spent a few dollars on building it. If I need it I just go get some brake line. If you used it a lot, there would be cheaper things than brake line. A big pin will take several feet of brake line. I used it the other day and needed 10 feet of brake line. 

Excellent description.  How about a 1.25” ish pin,7-8” long?  How would you see what you were doing? I’d be afraid of damaging the casting that the pin was in, or is it like a torch and tends the stay in the intended piece of material? 

• Like 1

size to your needs for sure -- 3/16 brake line goes fast
but works well for small projects

Heavy wall black iron pipe -- 1/8" works well for larger jobs

will eat a large tank of oxygen in a short time also -- so have a spare

Expect a lot of molten metal sparks
wear protection or get burned

11 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Excellent description.  How about a 1.25” ish pin,7-8” long?  How would you see what you were doing? I’d be afraid of damaging the casting that the pin was in, or is it like a torch and tends the stay in the intended piece of material? 

That would probably be tough to do all at once. It won’t distinguish between the pin and housing like a torch will. I think it would definitely be doable in small increments to make sure the hole is where you want it. Like HydroTek said, smaller line would probably be better. The last thing I used it on was 7/8” bolts. I damaged the threads a little, but not enough to hurt the function. 

23 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Anything that makes molten metal run on the ground like water has my attention.

If it needs a Gas Axe to light it, it is super cool.

Mine too! Just don’t do it on a concrete floor or you get pelted with bits of flying concrete