Skid loaders, whats your preference

Amo

2 minutes ago, bitty said:

I want a set to use in the woods . I thought of putting one tension tire to pull up on the center to make it snugger if needed 

Spraying the insides of the tracks with a gritty pickup bed liner would probably be a good idea too. Anything to make the steel bars less slippery. 

The NH skid steers are very popular here.  I don't own one but it's the only brand I've ever ran.

IH made or at least sold some skid steers a few years ago...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uF4AAOSwV5xkTvb~/s-l960.jpg

ihave had a scat trak and 2 volvo that were scats with the volvo paint/emblems on them, still have a wheeled one and will be selling it soon since i got my CTL for my mulching

I cant say a bad word about them, mine were all hand/foot controlled and simple to work on, made in wisconsin, american fittings, easy to get parts for even after market cables for the controls a couple times, spun a couple in a pump once and due to a burst hydraulic hose in the engine compartment burned it up, no fault of the machine. 

mine were the 1700 and 2400 lb machines iwth the 86hp perkins in them 

i have ran the case 1845 and didnt like the controls vs hand/foot, they stalled easy compared to the perkins 

yea i know they were only 60hp cummins 4bt

i liked the 873 bobcat i ran some ok 

753 and 773 were ok machines too 

if you dont need anything bigger the 1840 and 1845C were good units 

never ran any of the new hollands but heard they were pretty durable and a lot of folks like the lift mechanisms on them 

i hear the older deere were good too and in all cases i am talking wheeled machines

I used to run over the tire tracks on mine in the winter haying when the mud got deep and boy will that make one go about anywhere it was amazing 

image.png.4f4fc0c64e7c2fbce516c169068acffb.png

image.png.fcb0f4c8b199ab9c4e715337bc045c29.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bitty said:

You should try homemade tracks for over the tires on the skidloader. I hope to make a set but back burner project right now. Flat stock with two bends on it for track pads welded to two heavy log chains with connectors at one spot to attach over the tires. Guy who bought fence row rocks 20 years ago had these and they were a game changer for a skidloader at pennies on the dollar compared to real tracks 

Screenshot_20240402-165952.png

Screenshot_20240402-165938.png

Had a couple different sets on one deere at work. First ones were a rubber track that was excellent on snow and ice, and even mud. Only problem with them was once the tires wore a bit and the lugs inside the track wore then they slipped constantly. Next set was like the bottom left picture. Terrible tracks in my opinion. They never slipped on the tires but so zero traction on slick ground, and extremely rough. They also chewed the tires up really bad in less than 500 hours.  Got a set of the grouser type tracks but haven't put them on. No comparison to a track skid steer. With that said they do have their place 

I got a Bobcat 753 Series C model skid steer loader that I purchased new back in 1997. You should be able to find one in decent condition in your budget. Can order parts online if you don’t have a Bobcat dealer real close by. It be foot and hand controlled machine, steering control by two hand levers and bucket and boom control by your feet. I think it a fairly easy machine to operate and not to bad to work on and do repairs to if you don’t mind tight spaces for your hands doing repair work.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, acem said:

I guess "a few years ago" is relative.   But to me 40+ years is more than a few.  😃

• Haha 2

So looking at specs on different models it'll say 650# at 35% and 1500 at 50%.  One sales guy told me that 50% was with the bucket half way up.  I'm assuming 35% is ⅓ of the way up or ⅔ of the way up?  Or what exactly do does those numbers mean?

4 minutes ago, Amo said:

So looking at specs on different models it'll say 650# at 35% and 1500 at 50%.  One sales guy told me that 50% was with the bucket half way up.  I'm assuming 35% is ⅓ of the way up or ⅔ of the way up?  Or what exactly do does those numbers mean?

35% of tipping capacity on flat ground bucket all the way  up.

Ya, so I've heard talk about that.  So is that then 650# all the way up it won't tip, or 35% of the 660#.....227#?  So it'd tip with 280# all the way up?

18 minutes ago, Amo said:

Ya, so I've heard talk about that.  So is that then 650# all the way up it won't tip, or 35% of the 660#.....227#?  So it'd tip with 280# all the way up?

So if its rated 650 at 35%  of tipping load it will tip at 1850 all the way up stopped on flat ground. 

Thats how i understand it.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 7:58 PM, acem said:

The NH skid steers are very popular here.  I don't own one but it's the only brand I've ever ran.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uF4AAOSwV5xkTvb~/s-l960.jpg

Actually had one of these for sale locally last fall.  I considered buying it, but it had a stuck Wisconsin engine.  By the time I got around to go look at it, it was sold.  It even had a backhoe attachment.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mader656 said:

So if its rated 650 at 35%  of tipping load it will tip at 1850 all the way up stopped on flat ground. 

Thats how i understand it.

Ok.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, Amo said:

Actually had one of these for sale locally last fall.  I considered buying it, but it had a stuck Wisconsin engine.  By the time I got around to go look at it, it was sold.  It even had a backhoe attachment.

I don't remember ever seeing one except in pictures...