Skid loaders, whats your preference

Amo

1 hour ago, td9inidaho said:

Also, heard, tracked machines under carriage don't last very long before needing rebuilt, if I recall correctly 3-4000 hours?  I could be very wrong on those hours, don't quote me on that.  

It really depends on the size of machine and working conditions. Our T550 bobcat at work has just under 6000 hours. Still original rollers, sprockets were replaced 1000-1500 ago. I believe it's only on the 2nd set of tracks? Time for a new set by next winter I'd say only because they are quite worn from running on asphalt alot. I don't think rollers need to be looked at yet.

Now my mustang is 5000 lbs heavier, and lives a way harder life. 5100 hours and still original rollers, but they are very wore. I'm going to replace all them when the next set of tracks goes on, probably next winter. I should get 1000 more hours yet. I've been getting about 2500 or a bit more hours on the Camso tracks. 

Tracks are definitely the part that needs attention first, rest of the undercarriage I don't consider to have a short life span. I won't ever consider a wheeled machine unless it's going to be only in the yard. All depends on what your doing with the machine though. Different uses for each, buy I will say you can use a track one to do a wheeled ones job but a wheeled one won't do what a tracked one can

Just my 2 cents 

Monroe Bobcat with tires and a V4 gas engine, some would call it scrap, I call the machine that started it all.

Saw on purplewave auction in the past year.

Would there be any parts available? Or anything available at a boneyard?

• Like 1

I like New Hollands all the way up to the LSxxx series. The Case 1840 & 1845C are good loaders, too.

I’m not bull-headed about loader control types but foot pedals tend to be better for my carpal tunnel ailment.

I bought a 2010 m0del bobcat s100 about 2 years ago with 1200 hours and clean as a whistle for 18k, would've liked one size bigger but it was so clean I couldn't pass it up but I  had 440b so it was a major upgrade.  It is amazing what that machine can do for it's size, it has a coupler and auxiliary hydraulics and i have borrowed a post hole digger to use on it and it worked great then ended up buying a set of pallet forks also. Supposedly it was the last year of using the Kubota diesel but not sure on that.

18 hours ago, IH Forever said:

I would really like to upgrade to something bigger but hard to justify $30k+ for something I put less than 100 hours/year on.

That's kinda my thoughts more than budget/cash flow.  I'm just not sure how much I'm going to use it a year.  Buy cheap and see how much I use it.  If I love it, I can always upgrade.  My place is really muddy and I just don't think a skid steer will work in the mud like a mfd would, but a skid would be dam handy in the corral for dirt work when dry.  Yet on the flip side, if it was big enough to move a bale around and be a spare loader tractor.  Got to thinking say the gas bobcat brings $5000, that'd be 20% down on a $25,000 machine.  That'd give me more options and step up to a diesel etc.  

How many hours is to many hours?  One friend tells me 1500 hrs is nothing, and another tells me you'll use it like a tank.  So try to stay under 1000 hrs.  Which yes it all depends on how it was used/cared for. Friend who says you'll use it like a tank bent his pallet forks digging something out of the dirt.  So I'd say he was pretty rough with his. 

Went to the local NH dealer today.  They had a 247B like on the sale, an LS 170, and a little NH.....325 maybe.  Then some newer ones.  The bobcat and NH both had around 4-4500 hrs.  Found an LS 170 with 2800 he's for less money.  Like I said, just curious if 4-5000 hrs is like a vehicle with 150,000 miles or what.  I realize use and maintenance factors into the equation.

Don’t look too hard at the hours on older machines.  I have two Case 1835B skid steers, one has 5,000 some hours and the other has 14,500 some  hours.  If I covered the meters and let you look the machines over and test drive them you would never guess the hours on each.  The higher hours loader also has a gasoline engine in it that is pretty much original yet, so not all the gasoline powered skid steers are a money hole. 

These little Cases are kind of on the small side to handle large round hay bales.  

I’ve said on here before, use a skid steer as a loader, life will be X hours.  Use it as an excavator, it will be 1/2X hours.  Use it as a wrecking ball, 1/10X hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

Don’t look too hard at the hours on older machines.  I have two Case 1835B skid steers, one has 5,000 some hours and the other has 14,500 some  hours.  If I covered the meters and let you look the machines over and test drive them you would never guess the hours on each.  The higher hours loader also has a gasoline engine in it that is pretty much original yet, so not all the gasoline powered skid steers are a money hole. 

These little Cases are kind of on the small side to handle large round hay bales.  

I’ve said on here before, use a skid steer as a loader, life will be X hours.  Use it as an excavator, it will be 1/2X hours.  Use it as a wrecking ball, 1/10X hours.

I agree,operator makes a world of difference. Some people are not operators,just ram,rip,bang and tear.I gotta fix my stuff so I work it not abuse it.

20 minutes ago, new guy said:

S595 foot control here. Hand or foot controls was not a concern when I bought. Have run both with ease. Condition is key. Check the pins.

Also the front quick tach plate. Not really as big of concern on a smaller machine but they wear lots on the bigger units. Mine needs to be replaced. It is not cheap to do plate and pins and bushings

• Like 1

I'm biased since I work at a Cat dealer, if a person could find a clean 236B it would be a nice choice even if a little above your price range.

I grew up in a 1845C. Still believe it, and all the 1990s Case skid loaders are some of the best built SSL of all time. That said, I get back in those old Case machines and I feel like I'm sitting still - everything is so slow!

For controls, I can go between H pattern and ISO no problem, but selecting H pattern in a Cat, not happening. I think it's because of drive and hyd control being on the same pivot point.

As for foot controls, my calves and ankles just ain't made for them. I used to have a sidewalk snow removal contract that I went between shoveling, the atv, and a SSL. Shoveling for a couple hours, then getting in a foot control machine, I may as well get back out and shovel.

In my area, a sub $10k skidsteer isn't going to be much of a machine. My opinion, buying a little $5k gas machine will pretty much give you the feeling you have no need to own a SSL. Get up around $15-20k and you'll have a machine you won't be able to live without and wonder why you didn't get it sooner.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 11:18 PM, Amo said:

I know.  I'd be curious as to what people like as a whole, higher prices are fine.  Like I said, some of the slightly used machines can run $50-75K+.  I can buy a dang nice tractor for that money.  With that said though, yes I'd like to keep it under $10K

https://www.machinerypete.com/details/skid-steers/1986/bobcat/743/21334354

I don’t think you’ll find much of anything but headaches in that price range. Add 10-15K more and your headaches should be a lot less 

14 minutes ago, smfarms said:

I don’t think you’ll find much of anything but headaches in that price range. Add 10-15K more and your headaches should be a lot less 

I wealthy friend once told me that "If money is no object you can get what ever you want BUT we are  not there yet, now Hubby wants twin  engine airplane requiring a new hanger too."

37 minutes ago, oleman said:

I wealthy friend once told me that "If money is no object you can get what ever you want BUT we are  not there yet, now Hubby wants twin  engine airplane requiring a new hanger too."

In your price range you better lift the cab and look at every single hose, find out if the pumps have been touched. Check the drive chains. Check all the cylinders. You are shopping in the huge headache range so be very careful. A junk skid is worth 5k. You are shopping just above that threshold. 

16 hours ago, Amo said:

Like I said, just curious if 4-5000 hrs is like a vehicle with 150,000 miles or what.  I realize use and maintenance factors into the equation.

One version of that.  A BIL is a professional concreter.  The bloke who did his excavation work turned his skid steers over at around 5000 hours.

17 hours ago, Amo said:

That's kinda my thoughts more than budget/cash flow.  I'm just not sure how much I'm going to use it a year.  Buy cheap and see how much I use it.  If I love it, I can always upgrade.  My place is really muddy and I just don't think a skid steer will work in the mud like a mfd would, but a skid would be dam handy in the corral for dirt work when dry.  Yet on the flip side, if it was big enough to move a bale around and be a spare loader tractor.  Got to thinking say the gas bobcat brings $5000, that'd be 20% down on a $25,000 machine.  That'd give me more options and step up to a diesel etc.  

How many hours is to many hours?  One friend tells me 1500 hrs is nothing, and another tells me you'll use it like a tank.  So try to stay under 1000 hrs.  Which yes it all depends on how it was used/cared for. Friend who says you'll use it like a tank bent his pallet forks digging something out of the dirt.  So I'd say he was pretty rough with his. 

Went to the local NH dealer today.  They had a 247B like on the sale, an LS 170, and a little NH.....325 maybe.  Then some newer ones.  The bobcat and NH both had around 4-4500 hrs.  Found an LS 170 with 2800 he's for less money.  Like I said, just curious if 4-5000 hrs is like a vehicle with 150,000 miles or what.  I realize use and maintenance factors into the equation.

You should try homemade tracks for over the tires on the skidloader. I hope to make a set but back burner project right now. Flat stock with two bends on it for track pads welded to two heavy log chains with connectors at one spot to attach over the tires. Guy who bought fence row rocks 20 years ago had these and they were a game changer for a skidloader at pennies on the dollar compared to real tracks 

Screenshot_20240402-165952.png

Screenshot_20240402-165938.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, db1486 said:

Also the front quick tach plate. Not really as big of concern on a smaller machine but they wear lots on the bigger units. Mine needs to be replaced. It is not cheap to do plate and pins and bushings

I've built many up with a welder, 7018 years ago and MiG in recent years 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gearclash said:

We have had four skidloaders we bought new . 1840 and we put 14,000 hours on it, 75XT 26,000 hours on it, 40XT we put 1,400 hours on , and the SR250 we put 800 hours on. 1840 and 40XT we lost in a barn fire, SR250 caught fire (3 months old) and then we traded it on a used 465XT . The 1840 was an excellent skid loader and we were very sorry we lost that one. I'm sure that would have went another 10,000 Plus hours without much work done to it. The 40 XT wasn't a bad skid loader either. Hours don't necessarily mean much to them

Just now, bitty said:

We have had four skidloaders we bought new . 1840 and we put 14,000 hours on it, 75XT 26,000 hours on it, 40XT we put 1,400 hours on , and the SR250 we put 800 hours on. 1840 and 40XT we lost in a barn fire, SR250 caught fire (3 months old) and then we traded it on a used 465XT . The 1840 was an excellent skid loader and we were very sorry we lost that one. I'm sure that would have went another 10,000 Plus hours without much work done to it. The 40 XT wasn't a bad skid loader either. Hours don't necessarily mean much to them

I will add the one thing I forgot to say was I don't believe any hours on any used skid loaders that I see. The XT Case skid steers the little brain as they call it up at the dash was notorious for giving troubles. Throw a new brain in and it has 0.0 hours on it, so it's very easy to change the hours. The other reason I don't say I trust any hours on any used skid loaders is of a lot of the skid loaders we bought used they were fairly clean, not that bad looking. But we would pressure wash off our 75 XT when it was time to work on it that we bought brand new and it was being used to scrape a lot of manure after being retired from mainly being a feed skid loader and it would look better than the used skid loaders we were buying that we didn't know the true history of ..... So they didn't look as nice as that 75 XT that we knew had 26,000 hours on when we finally gave up fixing it.

Well the old girl brought $5200 and I'm not the new owner.  I thought that was a decent price for the machine.  Think I'll do some snooping around and I don't know whether I'll buy one or maybe just try and rent one I don't know.  He's really hoping where it was a Gasser and stuff that maybe a person can sneak out of there with foot for three to four.  If I spend that much on one that's pretty good down payment towards something that's a **** of a lot better.

2 hours ago, bitty said:

You should try homemade tracks for over the tires on the skidloader. I hope to make a set but back burner project right now. Flat stock with two bends on it for track pads welded to two heavy log chains with connectors at one spot to attach over the tires. Guy who bought fence row rocks 20 years ago had these and they were a game changer for a skidloader at pennies on the dollar compared to real tracks 

Screenshot_20240402-165952.png

Screenshot_20240402-165938.png

I wouldn’t recommend those tracks if you get into any snow.  We had a set about 20 years ago.  They are difficult to get enough tension on them, and the tires would spin inside them in snow. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

I wouldn’t recommend those tracks if you get into any snow.  We had a set about 20 years ago.  They are difficult to get enough tension on them, and the tires would spin inside them in snow. 

I want a set to use in the woods . I thought of putting one tension tire to pull up on the center to make it snugger if needed 

• Like 1