Carbon $$$$$

Cdfarabaugh

My cousin and I were talking last night a bit and discussing forestry issues.  He has about 100 acres of "reclaimed" strip mine property that has grown into a bunch of brush and miltifloral rose.  He heard about a program that will "pay" you if you let an outfit come in and reclaim it to the tune of $1000 an acre.  

He began questioning the fellow more, and the plan is to deep rip, haul in necessary soil, and plant in trees.  The catch.......you can't touch one tree on the place ever because it "captures carbon" and defeats the purpose.  

He really grilled this young fellow because #1, the diesel fuel burned to complete this job would offset any gains and #2, that 1,000 an acre is essentially "selling" any future use of the property for any profit other than recreation........no thanks.   

These people are truly amazing in their thinking.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

even if the forests were left on the property they still can be harvested properly . We have more forest fires these days because they put out as many as they can and the forests are not managed( by man or nature) - forest floors covered in dead trees and brush just waiting to ignite into an intense fire

The issues that the planet is facing will never be solved by stupid people.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, hillman said:

The issues that the planet is facing will never be solved by stupid people.

There is PLENTY of them around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, mikem said:

Mike

The more the general population is removed from agriculture the less common sense they seem to have. We were lucky being brought up the way were were and we understand the basics. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just another made up incentive to appease the green do-gooders that the tax payers are paying for. 

• Like 7

Here in NW PA, the hills are riddled with old abandon oil wells. The latest thing is that you can get them plugged to gain carbon credits. Not real sure how it works, but basically there are companies that will pay you to plug them, and they get paid by the developers (obviously more than they paid you) and such so that they can get carbon credits to use against their destroying hundreds of acres of good property.

Definitely a shell game.

• Like 3

As far as forests go proper harvesting will increase carbon storage as the thinned trees grow faster and store more carbon. Good forest management is a carbon storage plus and removing all the dead wood, etc. reduces fire danger. The harvested wood if used for lumber means that carbon is stored for a very long time. Also more CO2 means faster growing trees so it is removed anyway.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, New Englander said:

It doesn't make sense. If the trees are harvested for lumber the wood still is holding the carbon.

Stop.

You're thinking.

That won't get you very far.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

It's all a pipe dream. In ND Summit Carbon Solutions is trying to get a pipeline put in to ship "carbon" to be sequestered underground. One entity says that it will be stored underground forever and another says it will be used for enhanced oil recovery in the Bakken. You can't have it both ways. Someone is lying. They use the word "carbon" because it conjures up thoughts of the black buildup in your fireplace chimney, when the material being moved is carbon dioxide, a gas that all vegetation uses for growth energy. They don't tell us that the carbon dioxide pipeline will be under incredible pressure using pumping stations every so many miles that run on electricity. They also don't tell us that they will have to dig dozens upon dozens, I think actually hundreds, of wells and pump water from the ground to cool the pipeline. Pumps running on electricity. How much carbon dioxide is going to be created from the electrical generation to run this pipeline? They don't tell us that either. CO2 makes up .04% of our atmosphere. Estimates say that CO2 parts per million has almost doubled in the past 100 or so years. It is still .04% of our atmosphere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, lotsaIHCs said:

It's all a pipe dream. In ND Summit Carbon Solutions is trying to get a pipeline put in to ship "carbon" to be sequestered underground. One entity says that it will be stored underground forever and another says it will be used for enhanced oil recovery in the Bakken. You can't have it both ways. Someone is lying. They use the word "carbon" because it conjures up thoughts of the black buildup in your fireplace chimney, when the material being moved is carbon dioxide, a gas that all vegetation uses for growth energy. They don't tell us that the carbon dioxide pipeline will be under incredible pressure using pumping stations every so many miles that run on electricity. They also don't tell us that they will have to dig dozens upon dozens, I think actually hundreds, of wells and pump water from the ground to cool the pipeline. Pumps running on electricity. How much carbon dioxide is going to be created from the electrical generation to run this pipeline? They don't tell us that either. CO2 makes up .04% of our atmosphere. Estimates say that CO2 parts per million has almost doubled in the past 100 or so years. It is still .04% of our atmosphere.

23 minutes ago, acem said:

Stop.

You're thinking.

That won't get you very far.

3 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Just another made up incentive to appease the green do-gooders that the tax payers are paying for. 

Dont leave out that this dead /useless land will increase in tax EVERY year. AND when you cant pay they will seize your ENTIRE holdings , for illegals or govt BTO.

The seize lie started here 3 years ago, tax increase + $12 / 100K, actual  $80 /100 and everyone was jacked to $80 /300 ,since the front end was capped.

actual '24 $4000.00/$150K val.

Seniors en mass ,tried to get it voted ,just like "our" budget ,cancel the "Hampton Jone's "($50mil/yr pork) ,toss the "essentials" in a hat,can I buy/pay for food ,meds,heat or new roof this month.  They were shut down and herded out, You wouldnt like cuts to YOUR entitlements or lower govt employee consumption.

We are getting a $30mil county re assessment where the banks/bto already have 60% reduction,with HUGE refunds (Before)

Private non usable/strip waste land is already $20K /ac.

They have to jack the back side further as the front end is capped ,County up 10% ('25) , local already signed ,max by law next 7 years and is planning hard ship court case for'25 to double that .......20%/300%  EVERY year forever.

While typing got a zillow ALERT  "your property value just increased, list it NOW !!" Your updated home value is ready

All this carbon and carbon credit talk makes me very nervous. I don’t know where all this money is coming from. But Im sure we will know soon enough.  
I’ve been approached with info on it several times this winter.  I don’t trust all this science.

12 minutes ago, tractorholic said:

All this carbon and carbon credit talk makes me very nervous. I don’t know where all this money is coming from. But Im sure we will know soon enough.  
I’ve been approached with info on it several times this winter.  I don’t trust all this science.

On the money-three guesses and the first two don't count.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikem said:

Mike

I have said this before on here and ill say it again. 

Its not that mankind is necessarily that smart. Its that everything else around us is that dumb. Its like being the smartest kid in a special ed class doesn't make you a Rhodes scholar.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tractorholic said:

The problem is, the science is just some do gooders opinion that they have repeated enough that they believe it is fact. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mmi said:

Dont leave out that this dead /useless land will increase in tax EVERY year. AND when you cant pay they will seize your ENTIRE holdings , for illegals or govt BTO.

The seize lie started here 3 years ago, tax increase + $12 / 100K, actual  $80 /100 and everyone was jacked to $80 /300 ,since the front end was capped.

actual '24 $4000.00/$150K val.

Seniors en mass ,tried to get it voted ,just like "our" budget ,cancel the "Hampton Jone's "($50mil/yr pork) ,toss the "essentials" in a hat,can I buy/pay for food ,meds,heat or new roof this month.  They were shut down and herded out, You wouldnt like cuts to YOUR entitlements or lower govt employee consumption.

We are getting a $30mil county re assessment where the banks/bto already have 60% reduction,with HUGE refunds (Before)

Private non usable/strip waste land is already $20K /ac.

They have to jack the back side further as the front end is capped ,County up 10% ('25) , local already signed ,max by law next 7 years and is planning hard ship court case for'25 to double that .......20%/300%  EVERY year forever.

While typing got a zillow ALERT  "your property value just increased, list it NOW !!" Your updated home value is ready

This is a nightmare of mine.  Finally acquire a decent spread then be taxed off it.  They got away with it in years past, but I'm not sure it wouldn't happen without people getting nasty or even violent now being everyone is stretched so thin.  

We elected 2 new county comissioners this past year, and my wife being involved in politics a bit lent them a helping hand.  I told them you better swear to the good lord himself not to even utter the word reassessment because the retribution we and others will bring down will be biblical.  

• Thanks 1

We were told at the plant I work at . That basically a 100 MW plant half of the electricity made (50MW) would have to be used for carbon sequestration. Now this makes very little sense to do. None of it adds up. It’s just a money/power grab

It's ironic, but back in the day, auto manufacturers were required to install smog devices to reduce the nox and co that vehicles emitted. Those measures resulted in increased levels of Co2 and water vapor from the tailpipe.  Now Co2 and water vapor are the boogeymen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1