66 series motor return plumbing

Anyone know a good place to plumb a return for hydraulic oil for a motor circuit on a 1066 without going back through the hydraulic outlet? Not apposed to drilling and tapping a hole if need be. 

Somewhere I've seen IH advertisements of  a 66 series running an IH hydraulic rake. 

I have never seen a return advertised so I would expect they ran it through the valve.

This does interest me as well.  I recently bought a hydraulic double rake.

I have seen a 1466 with the cover for front wheel assist removed and brazzed a 3/4 pipe fitting to it and then a hose connected to it and a quick connection mounted to the coupling in the rear, it looked like factory was very nice

30 minutes ago, acem said:

Somewhere I've seen IH advertisements of  a 66 series running an IH hydraulic rake. 

I have never seen a return advertised so I would expect they ran it through the valve.

This does interest me as well.  I recently bought a hydraulic double rake.

We’ve run a hydraulic double rake for decades on 2 different open center IH tractors.  Never bothered with a separate return port. The rake motors only use 8GPM so there isn’t that much flow anyway.  

Both videos have a 766 powering the rake.  We used to use a 686 which had plenty of hydraulic capacity but the gear choices for raking ground speeds were terrible.

29 minutes ago, mrfred54 said:

I have seen a 1466 with the cover for front wheel assist removed and brazzed a 3/4 pipe fitting to it and then a hose connected to it and a quick connection mounted to the coupling in the rear, it looked like factory was very nice

Kind of what I was thinking about doing. Figure if it don't work out later on at least we could find another un molested AWD cover to replace it with.

9 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

We’ve run a hydraulic double rake for decades on 2 different open center IH tractors.  Never bothered with a separate return port. The rake motors only use 8GPM so there isn’t that much flow anyway.  

Both videos have a 766 powering the rake.  We used to use a 686 which had plenty of hydraulic capacity but the gear choices for raking ground speeds were terrible.

Does you oil get hotter than normal? Looks like that rake made easy work out of that wet rye. Cant imagine trying that with a wheel drive bar rake. 

If your housing has the hole already as in the picture above -- else remove the "Indiana" plate on the LH side  and tap a pipe thread hole in it

Motor drains are for the third line on a hydraulic motor -- not much need on a 66 or 86 if you just need a return port

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1967806 said:

Does you oil get hotter than normal? Looks like that rake made easy work out of that wet rye. Cant imagine trying that with a wheel drive bar rake. 

Raking 80 acres of alfalfa non stop could get the 686 transmission housing pretty hot, but evidently not hot enough to be harmful as it happened many times.  We even raking wet alfalfa with that rig for chopping for around 15 years. 

Raking wet crop for silage works but will be at a slower ground speed than what is possible for dry hay. In the wet rye video above I was running at a modest pace in HI 2. Were it dry hay I would have been in HI 3, maybe HI 4 TA. 

• Like 2

If I remember right there's a small squareish plate under the right side of the seat.  I just took it off, drilled a hole and welded a fitting to it.  I was running a silage table that fed the blower.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChaseIH said:

This is on our 1971 1466

IMG_1755.jpeg

IMG_1756.jpeg

X2. Both our 766 and 1466 are that way. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HydroTek said:

If your housing has the hole already as in the picture above -- else remove the "Indiana" plate on the LH side  and tap a pipe thread hole in it

Motor drains are for the third line on a hydraulic motor -- not much need on a 66 or 86 if you just need a return port

Pretty sure the 1066 I'm working on don't have that hole in the case ahead of the filter. Its a late 75 black stripe. And the drain I'm trying to take care of will be for all the return from the pressure going to a bale accumulator.  

My 1206 had one in the top cover of the 3 point hitch lift lever casting. Previous owner ran a gresen valve for the loader.  Returned it there.  17 in the picture. 

image.thumb.png.d5948e78fb5094216e246039cde2b0aa.png

I've also seen a hose teed into the speed transmission drain plug.  Or maybe the fitting the hydraulic clutch booster drains into on the all wheel drive cover plate?  It's a JIC fitting on a 1/2" thread hollow bolt. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

My 1206 had one in the top cover of the 3 point hitch lift lever casting. Previous owner ran a gresen valve for the loader.  Returned it there.  17 in the picture. 

image.thumb.png.d5948e78fb5094216e246039cde2b0aa.png

I've also seen a hose teed into the speed transmission drain plug.  Or maybe the fitting the hydraulic clutch booster drains into on the all wheel drive cover plate?  It's a JIC fitting on a 1/2" thread hollow bolt. 

Sounds like a good idea. Return hose needs to be through a one inch return. Really liking the sounds of that AWD cover to plumb it to. 

13 hours ago, 1967806 said:

Sounds like a good idea. Return hose needs to be through a one inch return. Really liking the sounds of that AWD cover to plumb it to. 

We used to drill and tap that cover for loader returns.you could drill your third link plate on back also.

16 hours ago, 1967806 said:

Pretty sure the 1066 I'm working on don't have that hole in the case ahead of the filter. Its a late 75 black stripe. And the drain I'm trying to take care of will be for all the return from the pressure going to a bale accumulator.  

What type of accumulator are you.running if youndont mind me asking? 

11 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

What type of accumulator are you.running if youndont mind me asking? 

Its an old farmhand.

I think, if you remove the casting for the 3rd link from the rear end, you'll see which of those 6 bolts holes are tapped straight through the rear end casting.  If you can, make up a hollow bolt & connect a Pioneer coupler to that hollowed out bolt & return the oil there.

• Like 1