One of the perils of being Amish

I’m not Amish but I have got my beard caught in the top loop of a wire gate while shutting it before lol. You hear the stories but until it happens to you, you just don’t know the whole story…

I got my hand wound around a Milwaukee Super Hawg, did a lot of damage, broken fingers, tendon damage, messed it up for a long time. Still isn’t right. 

• Sad 6

17 minutes ago, ryangpayne said:

I’m not Amish but I have got my beard caught in the top loop of a wire gate while shutting it before lol. You hear the stories but until it happens to you, you just don’t know the whole story…

Yep I agree.  A good sized wad in my coat zipper usually makes me cut mine back. 😃

• Like 6

The longest I’ve grown my beard was to nearly my belly button. I was hoping to see how long I could go, but I wasn’t maxed out yet. Unfortunately it was constantly in my way- getting caught while working, while sleeping, and even causing problems in bed when not sleeping… !!

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I got my hand wound around a Milwaukee Super Hawg, did a lot of damage, broken fingers, tendon damage, messed it up for a long time. Still isn’t right. 

Little slower but the lineman impact is the only way to run those large bits if they fit in the space available 

• Like 1

My uncle’s dad, who farmed, was nearly killed in a farm pto accident. An overall strap caused him to lose one arm and one leg in the 60’s. Long hair or beards and/or loose clothing is a bad idea. It happens so fast, once it starts there’s no time to get out. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

My uncle’s dad, who farmed, was nearly killed in a farm pto accident. An overall strap caused him to lose one arm and one leg in the 60’s. Long hair or beards and/or loose clothing is a bad idea. It happens so fast, once it starts there’s no time to get out. 

A fellow in the community almost created a bad situation when the hammer loop of his overalls caught a PTO lever while his brother was working on a baler when they were trying to finish up a hay field.  Good thing that the brother working on the baler was quick to jump back when he heard the baler coming to life.  Yep, long hair, long beards, and loose fitting clothing do not mix with powered equipment.  

• Like 5

Growing up in Eastern Iowa in the 60's there were lots of news stories about farmers getting seriously injured or killed trying to unplug corn pickers.  Turning the tractor off didn't seem to be step one.  Some people liked to reach in the husking beds and remove corn stocks and other thrash rather than let them go through the picker.  If the beds caught the trash and pulled it down while you had a grip on it, it could be bad.  I kept my hands away from moving parts on a picker.  Never wore clothes with loose items either.

4 minutes ago, barkerwc4362 said:

Never wore clothes with loose items either.

Oh no look it's a farmer working in his underpants.   LOL

• Haha 1

Unlike my Father I wore work pants and not overalls.  Everything was tucked in.  I never let my sweatshirt hood strings hang loose either.  My brother was notorious for just letting his flop around.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

Oh no look it's a farmer working in his underpants.   LOL

Aaaaand?!

:lol::lol:

Mike

• Haha 1

A neighbor, during harvest, tried to step over a bare PTO shaft running the elevator. Grabbed his coveralls and took all his clothes off.   He was in the hospital for a while. Dad's younger brother lost his 3 middle fingers, leaving his thumb and pinky on his right hand after an altercation with the husking bed of the corn picker. Dad always carried a lathe after that. They found the fingers still in the glove after it went through the picker.  That happened in the 1960's before they learned how to re-attach fingers. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, mader656 said:

Little slower but the lineman impact is the only way to run those large bits if they fit in the space available 

I keep hearing about those, i had 3 extensions and an 18” auger down a 14’ tall lath and plaster wall, i was trying to prevent the multiple extensions from wobbling and slapping the plaster. The tip of my glove caught, wrapped around the extension, eventually tore out the back of the glove, fortunately they were cheap mechanic style gloves and let go easily. 

I remember watching a safety film in VocAg class

Farmer standing next to a PTO shaft.

One minute fully clothed then naked.

They even slowed the film down but could not get it slow enough to see them come off.

That stayed with me.

Been wanting to get this outta my phone and this looks as good a place as any

841489-d0b73ea70a26f63786a9f80ace3984ac.gif.eac830253cf20d857842e61c10d8af2a.gif

• Like 3

Tore one pantleg off a pair of jeans when I was 9 or or 10.Waiting for dad as he talked to neighbor.I was standing on drawbar of M as he had pto on mixing herbicide in tank.Large nail was stuck through  pto to hold shaft on.I as a dumb kid wanted to see how close I could get my pants to the slowly rotating shaft before it got caught.It never occurred to me what was close enough, stop and go no further. Well it caught, I screamed and held onto seat.Lucky that the jeans were old and it ripped the entire leg off of them from top down. I disced the rest of the day on the 656 and Dad sprayed. I about froze to death because it was early spring and we stayed till almost dark.We were both scared to go home and listen to my mom holler.I didn't know dad was scared of mom until years later when my mom told me.Next day pto shield was put back on and is still on today.

15 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

If it was you that had your pants stripped off by a pto shaft, I don’t think you’d be laughing…

Not laughing about a pto shaft catching pants.   I have been in alot of close calls mysejf.  It was just the thought of dtiving past a farm and seeing a farmer out working in uderpants.    There are times I think about how lucky I'm here alive. In 1986 I jiy a deer doing 95 noh and walked away with a shined up elbow and broken right wraist.

33 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

If it was you that had your pants stripped off by a pto shaft, I don’t think you’d be laughing…

Nope,  I had that happen to me with a bale elevator.  I was standing opposite the pto shaft.  The end of the round shaft caught my pants and torn them off. All I had left was the belt.  Next day I put a piece of tin over it.  

• Like 1

Both of my grandfathers were missing digits from their hands.  I’ll bet I can name a dozen or more farmers over the years who survived farm accidents and a few who didn’t.  We lost my wife’s dad under a tractor almost 30 years ago.  Farming is still classified as one of the most dangerous occupations.  Please be careful!!!

• Like 3

Twice I unhooked dad from a predicament. First one he was changing melroe steel pickup teeth on 915 combine. Some how he was turning belt and slipped. The teeth had a loop on u derside of retaining pin to make them 90 degrees to front roller to pickup swath. He slipped and one of the pickup teeth impaled his hand. I heard the ruckus as I was working nearby. I had to grab his hand and pull it away from his reflex to get him unhooked from tooth. He didn’t bleed to bad and never went in for that. Another time he had hay mover pto engaged and was sanding front shaft with drive sprockets. There were some sprockets and bearings bad so he cleaned shaft before removing. His coat had arm fabric worn and got caught started pulling him in at 3 rpm or so. He couldn’t get out of coat and started screaming I was doing something else but heard it walked up behind tractor and being it was a IH 66 series flipped the lever off from behind. Picture of melroe pickup and a hay mover chain shaft it was an older haymover but same idea

1B69B2B2-F507-4B91-AF21-10A3936E37A7.png

50AFAC7F-F157-4CE7-8BB2-D1A942D10D31.png

8 hours ago, axial_al said:

Both of my grandfathers were missing digits from their hands.  I’ll bet I can name a dozen or more farmers over the years who survived farm accidents and a few who didn’t.  We lost my wife’s dad under a tractor almost 30 years ago.  Farming is still classified as one of the most dangerous occupations.  Please be careful!!!

A girl I went to high school with lost her grandfather around 1990 when his Farmall M rolled over onto him.  Some steep areas around that farm but he should have retired given his mental decline by that time.  Another farmer the next town over rolled his 715 combine during the early 1970's killing him.  Steep hill was a factor.  I got to go see the son tomorrow as he runs an auto repair business and my inspection is due.

We lost a young farmer here a couple of years ago when the string of his hoodie got caught in the spinner on a lime spreader. He was alone and it strangled him to death before anyone found him. Very sad.

• Sad 1

Neighbor kid got would up in a grain bin unloader gaurd was off and his coat got caught in it. He suffocated due to the coat wound so tight. 

Dad's hand got impaled when he tried to pull out a bent pusher tube in the field. He pulled it out and it pulled him back in and a tine went thru his hand. He had to pull it back out again to free himself. He had a bandaid on both sides of his hand.i don't think he went to the Dr but I might be wrong.

Guy I used to work with talked of holding a neighbor lady's hand while his dad torched her other arm free from a corn picker. She was trapped for hours with her arm in the picker while it ran. Burned her arm badly above the wrist if I recall. Think she lost part of her arm.