Super M Diesel

AGGIE

I have a 53 Super M diesel that I am working on. We just had the pump gone through and reinstalling on the tractor. But now it wants to run away after we switch to diesel. I am trying to check the governor settings to see if it is set right. I have a IT manual but the instructions are confusing and the pictures are not the same. Does anyone have some better instructions on how to check this. I have enclosed pics of the pump.

IMG_2549.JPG

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG

Try binder books for a good manual. The i&t's have never been well reguarded. 

10 minutes ago, 660 driver said:

. The i&t's have never been well reguarded. 

that cant be said enough ...50x

but the last 2 purveyors have slipped +- 50% also

be patient for an answer and 2x for an original "print"

I did not include speed chart. Can not get readable picture. It is 2.5 page foldout. Part number of pump should be 270 000R91. I can not read that on your pump. Give me the number of your pump and I will give the 4 specs for both.

8 hours ago, HydroTek said:

Shine a light down the oil fill cap -- you should see the end of the rack -- this moves to control the speed

I agree with hydroTek rack is not set right. Or did you have the injector pump arm off and not get it install correctly?       

Don't mess with the governor it should be set to manufactures spec.

If pump was worked on be qualified tech it should be set to run time it and install.

Maybe ...
By "running away" , what exactly do you mean ?

Over revving way beyond normal ?
or just revving up more than expected ?

If the external linkage is not set right , the engine may rev up -- but still be controlled by the govenor
I would suggest disconnecting the throttle lever on the pump and see if you can control the speed

If the lever had been moved from the original position on the pump shaft , this would throw the speed off when using the throttle control on the steering column

8 hours ago, rustred said:

who worked on the pump? i cant see where the pump was worked on as its still sealed with red paint.  

Many times thats the $3000 special discount

Had one done $1k by "authorized" shop were ,200+ awards tech (designed for S/RM) ,made it 10x worse to get the $3K

So bad it wanted to blow the engine apart, traveled to a( started 1920 shop), kid found it dumped full of shavings  and replaced near every internal part for $285 as I WATCHED , ran 5 min on bench, said in speck your not gaining anything by $350 "full" test

Also spring/s and lever dont look kosher with both springs inside...? 1 on each side of the lever.....?

On 3/21/2024 at 4:41 PM, snoshoe said:

I did not include speed chart. Can not get readable picture. It is 2.5 page foldout. Part number of pump should be 270 000R91. I can not read that on your pump. Give me the number of your pump and I will give the 4 specs for both.

Pump #: 65306D1 Fits: TD6; WD6, MD; MDV

Pump #: 65306D2 Fits: ID6

Pump #: 65306D3 Fits: IUD6

High Idle: 1610

Delivery: 53 CC/1000 Strokes

Torque Lever Stop Screw: 3/8

Torque Lever Shoe Screw: 5/8

Overload Gap: 1/16

High Idle Gap: .085

Updated to the pump he has.

Sorry I could not respond until now but numbers on side are 65306D serial number 10856R. When we switch to diesel it revs way over the 1600 rpm I am guessing 2500 or more. We just switch back to gas and it will shut down and switch back to idling like it is suppose to. Moving the throttle does not change anything. The pump was rebuilt at a shop in Dubuque and they did a good job of not removing the paint. Inside springs look good to me. 

65306D is basically an MD pump. There are basically 5 different suffixes. However using the SM settings should give you what you want.

I agree with HydroTek. Think your rack is stuck. Must smoke pretty good on gas. Two bolts will pull the oilfill off.

Easy enough to figure out

Disconnect the throttle lever and start the engine on gas

then move the lever on the pump

if she is pumping diesel , should make a lot of smoke
and be able to control with the lever on the pump

So we disconnected the throttle and running on gas it is running clean. If you move the throttle lever about 1” at the end it starts to smoke. Move it back to off and it stops smoking. 

Sounds like you have control of the throttle , then

Have a helper kick it over on diesel while you work the pump lever
see if you can control the speed that way

or reach and kick it over to diesel while you have hold of the pump lever

tie the throttle out of the way first

Is the linkage a half hole from reaching shutoff? It has been stated that engine overspeeds through entire throttle range. This would include shutoff. If it is not control arm on wrong spline. It kind of indicates governor and rack out of sync. Should reveal itself at point 4.

The external linkage will have no effect on the over speed. If the half hole off at shutoff is insufficient travel. The nuts between the overtravel springs can correct that. If it is overtravel that's OK. Should have overtravel at both ends. The over speed is either rack or linkage binding, maladjustment or failed or missing parts. What I have read here so far. It sounds as if rack is wide open until shut off with no governor.