MX120 loader joystick woes

Every few years one of the two joystick cables on my mx120 pops the half inch plastic ball off the joystick end.  It is a two hour job to replace and is getting pricey at almost $300.  Do any of you MX owners have this happen?  I am thinking of researching a way to replacing the knob with a more robust steel part.  Thanks for any suggestions.

IMG_1930.jpeg

Is that the factory CIH issue joystick etc? And is that a cable end or is that the ball that the joystick pivots on?  I have an MX170 with the CIH OEM loader controls and I don’t think there is a plastic cap on the ball, either on the cable ends or for the joystick pivot.

31 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Is that the factory CIH issue joystick etc? And is that a cable end or is that the ball that the joystick pivots on?  I have an MX170 with the CIH OEM loader controls and I don’t think there is a plastic cap on the ball, either on the cable ends or for the joystick pivot.

Factory joystick.  Picture is a cable end.  The pivot also has a plastic ball, but that one doesn’t bother.  Thanks.

Nylon ball on there
usually I see the ball end broken off the cable

Check the routing of the cables , and try to get them as straight as possible

Sometimes it is less expensive to buy the whole control -- instead of just one cable from the Dealer

check here

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Valves/Valve-Parts-Accessories/35-Joystick-Control-Cable-9-7418-35.axd

7 hours ago, HydroTek said:

Nylon ball on there
usually I see the ball end broken off the cable

Check the routing of the cables , and try to get them as straight as possible

Sometimes it is less expensive to buy the whole control -- instead of just one cable from the Dealer

check here

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Valves/Valve-Parts-Accessories/35-Joystick-Control-Cable-9-7418-35.axd

$9.95 is sure cheaper than $300. I have a feeling that "22 in stock" is going to go to 0 pretty quick now that the cat is out of the bag.

I have a L750 loader on my 115, I’m not sure if it was not called the deluxe joystick control that I have, maybe not, but I know I’ve replaced pieces of it and it does not have cables in there that look like that. I’m not sure my older 110 did either. I know when something broke on the 115, my parts man, where are the tractor was purchased new they could not find it but you guyshere pointed me to the part numbers

Joysticks are nice , but wear quickly and get a lot of slop

I figure when mine breaks , I will goto a 2 stick setup
those are much less prone to getting sloppy

Most of the time you are not using both functions at the same time anyways

• Haha 1

HydroTek:  thanks for the link to surplus center.  Looks like the right ends on that control cable.  Mine measures 58 3/4” long though.  This is encouraging though that there might be an alternative source for this horribly overpriced part.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stronger800 said:

I have a L750 loader on my 115,

Be aware that there are two completely different CIH L750 loaders.  If I have it right one was built by Matcor and the other by Quicke or is very similar to Quicke.  The Matcor built loader is heavier and has longer arms. 

Can anybody tell me how to search for a thread I created (2-3 years ago?)  when I was asking about my joystick?  
I tried… failed. 
I’m sure it was something like  “mx115 joystick part number help”

might help the next guy out that’s looking for joystick/cable parts 

Those are factory cables for the matter built loaders.  We have this happen as well.  I don't think there is a updated cable for this, but maybe a person can get an aftermarket cable?  I haven't checked into this yet.  We have more problems breaking the hollow plastic joystick head then cables.   These cables are a bear to replace especially on NA mx tractors because only one door.  I wish we had 2 doors when trying to fix the joystick. 

We have had this problem as well. It appears like the case IH cables currently do not hold up to the task. We have a custom made cable in stock that will work much better $275          717-933-5533

I repair my own cables , steel end made to correct shape then thread it on with a little stick out then MIGIMG_1069.thumb.jpeg.8dbd023fc2b474171d5182a1eb680f73.jpeg

3 hours ago, stronger800 said:

I literally typed just that in the search box and got nothing. 
thank you 

Site search boxes are often pretty useless.  To find what I need on forum sites like this I use Google with the following format yourwebsite.com: your search term here.

So for your search, I type redpowerforum.com:  mx115 joystick help.

The colon after the forum name is essential to focus the search.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Alo have pulled that off.  Like 2x....in 12000 plus hours.  Pain but not bad.  Newer 3 have E controls, I personally prefer cables but... dont think there is a option/ability.  No cables to go but slower "feel" even though faster hydros

Better than 1940s 2 sticks Though! 

As a boy i had 0 idea people had 2 sticks till as a teen helped others do silage and such and operated their tractors. All the loader tractors on our place and family members have had joy osticks forever.  All IH loaders too.  

Moving hand back and forth seemed just ridiculous to me!  Still does.....🤷🏼‍♂️

It’s only money right?  
Seat safety switch came unplugged on our first “newer” loader tractor when it was only a year or two old it went into neutral with the loader frame only about 5 feet away from being in the paved road and silage that needed to be packed on the other side. My dad called in a panic, he wanted his old two stick loader tractor back.  

I really like the new e joystick once I got used to it.  Like being able to adjust the flow, but it takes a little bit to get used to not "being" able to feel what is going on like you can with the cable joystick