766 exhaust noise?

pt756

hello finally got the 756 home today with the DT 360 bus engine, guy did a great job on putting it in, almost looks like it belongs there, one question we did put a new oval muffler on it, I once heard comments that the 766 are a bit louder, this thing really barks for lack of a better word, so far so good

Does the muffler have a baffle? That is, can you see down the main tube?  Most tractor mufflers you can get these days are muffler-shaped straight pipes. The little stamped-in "polyps" like you see in the Stanley mufflers do jack squat for the noise.

I would not consider my 756 D360 conversion particularly loud with this oval muffler of unknown provenance. The 856 has a much harsher "crack" to the exhaust noise even though it also has the same muffler.

52 minutes ago, HydroTek said:

Put the turbo back on the engine and it will be alot quieter

...and have it sticking out the side like some half-baked Billy Big Rigger Cummins swap? No thanks.

To get the turbo under the hood so it looks like it belongs is a bunch of custom fabrication. 

Well guys thanks for response, I am technically unable to post pictures, I understand having a cell phone would be helpful, anyway Matt and the rest of responders,  I appreciate all your responses and patience the last couple of years, The 310 motor is gone, hard to believe but the day the ATT lines went down there were 2 guys interested in at all most the same time, the first guy called and then his call got dropped, then out of nowhere another voice came on , was from iowa has 4 germans , was over 4 hours away, meanwhile the first guy got back on the phone ,  they were close by and have 3 Germans one has a leaky pump, so I think it will get parts used up, again THANKS

Had a Hydro 70 with the D312 and that was a really loud tractor after running a 1066 or 1086. It had a oval muffler with the baffle in it and i got a curved extemson pipe and pointed it straight foreward. That helped a lot.

9 hours ago, pt756 said:

Well guys thanks for response, I am technically unable to post pictures, I understand having a cell phone would be helpful, anyway Matt and the rest of responders,  I appreciate all your responses and patience the last couple of years, The 310 motor is gone, hard to believe but the day the ATT lines went down there were 2 guys interested in at all most the same time, the first guy called and then his call got dropped, then out of nowhere another voice came on , was from iowa has 4 germans , was over 4 hours away, meanwhile the first guy got back on the phone ,  they were close by and have 3 Germans one has a leaky pump, so I think it will get parts used up, again THANKS

They just jump into the call without the phone ringing? That's what it sounds like, LOL. You on an old party line? 

Unless that second guy paid to force his way into the call... One time my Dad called and left me a voicemail and it sounded like something serious was going on, so I immediately called back to a busy signal. Called and called for hours. Could not get through. I called the phone company and asked them to check the line. It was fine. They said I could break in but it would cost a LOT of money. I decided to give it one more try, and finally got through. He just wanted me to pick up something on the way out to the farm on Sunday.

He was weird like that. When it was nothing important he sounded like the dog died. When something bad was going on he'd sound cheery and upbeat. 

I never found the 766 to be that loud. Definitely not obnoxious like a German diesel! 

I remember a customer tractor, from the days at the dealership in Norfolk, guy had a '76 Blackstripe 766, had a 3" curved chrome stack on it.  That tractor had the loudest bark of any straight piped tractor I could recall.  The tractor switched owners, not sure if its still around the area or not, haven't seen it in a while.

1 hour ago, Nebraska1206 said:

I remember a customer tractor, from the days at the dealership in Norfolk, guy had a '76 Blackstripe 766, had a 3" curved chrome stack on it.  That tractor had the loudest bark of any straight piped tractor I could recall.  The tractor switched owners, not sure if its still around the area or not, haven't seen it in a while.

That engine series  was definitely bad with a straight pipe. My dad had one on our 806 for years, I finally bought a muffler for it.