Eclipse plans?

acem

We supposed to be in it. County officials have been going nuts for a few months now. I was hoping for a nice April blizzard to keep the tourists away but it’s actually looking decent weather now. I thought about taking the day off work to clean barn, maybe a little manure would keep them away but I can’t get the day off. I guess that means I’ll be inside the plant when it happens. 
Had the neighbor stop in Saturday asking if his family could go up in my hayfield to watch it. I told him they could as long as they kicked anyone else out. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 1256pickett said:

We supposed to be in it. County officials have been going nuts for a few months now. I was hoping for a nice April blizzard to keep the tourists away but it’s actually looking decent weather now. I thought about taking the day off work to clean barn, maybe a little manure would keep them away but I can’t get the day off. I guess that means I’ll be inside the plant when it happens. 
Had the neighbor stop in Saturday asking if his family could go up in my hayfield to watch it. I told him they could as long as they kicked anyone else out. 

Yeah, the officials in Monroe and Erie Counties keep talking about the hundreds of thousands of people expected to flock in from outside of the area.  I have great doubts about that.  The best view in this area will be in Brockport which is west of Rochester.  My niece lives just outside of Brockport so the wife and I will be dropping in on her.  

I'm glad you guys are so hospitable dealing with it this time. 

We had it here some years back. 

People parking along highways, pulling into pastures and pitching tents because if they didn't see a house, nobody must live out here. 

Trash and some small grass fires and the local bars looked like that scene from starwars

Star Wars': 10 Best Cantina Aliens

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, 766 Man said:

Yeah, the officials in Monroe and Erie Counties keep talking about the hundreds of thousands of people expected to flock in from outside of the area.  I have great doubts about that.  The best view in this area will be in Brockport which is west of Rochester.  My niece lives just outside of Brockport so the wife and I will be dropping in on her.  

Oh, I'm expecting people to just stop dead on all the roads, get out of their cars, and stare at the sky. Yes, people will behave that stupidly.

When Nickel Plate locomotive 765 came through a few years ago, the stupidity knew no bounds. Along a stretch of road near Attica where the rail ran parallel, people were parked all up and down both sides of the road, parked in the middle of the road because there was no place else to park, standing in the middle of the road waiting for the train. Then the train came through and multiple cars came barreling through the crowd chasing the train for "action shots." That was just a bunch of foamers. This is the general public.

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Oh, I'm expecting people to just stop dead on all the roads, get out of their cars, and stare at the sky. Yes, people will behave that stupidly.

When Nickel Plate locomotive 765 came through a few years ago, the stupidity knew no bounds. Along a stretch of road near Attica where the rail ran parallel, people were parked all up and down both sides of the road, parked in the middle of the road because there was no place else to park, standing in the middle of the road waiting for the train. Then the train came through and multiple cars came barreling through the crowd chasing the train for "action shots." That was just a bunch of foamers. This is the general public.

Did not NP 765 cross the new trestle at Portageville?  That's where I would have gone to see it if I were a big fan.  

Just glad this is happening 100's of miles east of us.

Life will go on the same as the day before and the day after.

Stay safe and out of the way of the stupidity.

Report after so we know what we missed?

Weatherman said Eastern SD will be overcast.

Oh well!

• Like 2

Our illustrious  governor has declared a state of emergency for the eclipse. Local schools have canceled classes for the day. Friend, who is on a local VFD said they have been instructed to place fire trucks & emergency vehicles at major highway intersections. Another friend said where his wife works if employees want to go outside during the eclipse they had to sign releases absolving the company of any responsibility in case of an injury.

You'd think people have never seen darkness before.

• Like 2

According to some of the stories I've heard, when the darkness clears we will be surrounded by the Chinese military. 

• Haha 2

I found this interactive website... one of the best maps that I have seen so far. I get a couple of minutes of totality here. It should be pretty nifty. We had a partial on the last one, and it was interesting how the birds all stopped singing, it got calm and quiet. 

Eclipse Map - April 8, 2024 - NSO - National Solar Observatory

30 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

I found this interactive website... one of the best maps that I have seen so far. I get a couple of minutes of totality here. It should be pretty nifty. We had a partial on the last one, and it was interesting how the birds all stopped singing, it got calm and quiet. 

Nice map.

36 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Still banking for a washout.. fingers crossed! 

You mean if it is cloudy or raining? You do know that it will still get as dark as midnight, right? 

Just now, Farmall Doctor said:

You mean if it is cloudy or raining? You do know that it will still get as dark as midnight, right? 

Yes, but all these nutters will be so disappointed they can’t watch. 

It still won’t stop the citiot invasion. I’m glad that I can sit and watch it from my yard.

3 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Nice map.