Rust eating mixture

Hadn't touched this project in a couple weeks. But with all the rain we have had the last few days we are at a standstill field work wise. We decided to hit it again. 

We went with the "We're not playing around anymore" approach. Cut the kingpin tube off the running gear so I could get on the back side of the tube and then slit that side. With it in 2 pieces we split it and got the kingpin out. 

Found someplace i could order the demensions of pipe i need to make a new one and weld that one onto the gear when I get the pipe ( next week) obviously drill some holes for grease zerks. And hopefully have something functional 

20240412_142302.jpg

20240412_142306.jpg

• Haha 1

Does that running gear have bearings or does the spindle ride directly on the axle?

King pin bearing.jpg

Edited by New Englander
Pic

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

Does that running gear have bearings or does the spindle ride directly on the axle?

King pin bearing.jpg

No bearings 

4 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Hadn't touched this project in a couple weeks. But with all the rain we have had the last few days we are at a standstill field work wise. We decided to hit it again. 

We went with the "We're not playing around anymore" approach. Cut the kingpin tube off the running gear so I could get on the back side of the tube and then slit that side. With it in 2 pieces we split it and got the kingpin out. 

Found someplace i could order the demensions of pipe i need to make a new one and weld that one onto the gear when I get the pipe ( next week) obviously drill some holes for grease zerks. And hopefully have something functional 

20240412_142302.jpg

20240412_142306.jpg

Always more than one way to skin a cat!

Got it back together today 

Other than replacing a tire on it ( spare on the right front til we get a 11L-15, its a 9.5 on there currently) 

Just need to add our attachments to get it to our purpose now.

20240419_150832.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 8:32 AM, Reichow7120 said:

Well, got one sided free, but the other is stuck damn tight.  Heated it and it hasn't budged yet. 

Any other ideas?

20240319_165518.jpg

20240319_165522.jpg

20240319_165525.jpg

As others have said, rosebud torch or propane weed burner for heat, 

i would also add remove hub,  put 2” diameter  8 ft long pipe  over axel try turning it when cherry hot.  
Heat -tweak- beat- and repeat 🙂

any grease, oil, or liquid will be vaporized in the first 30 seconds 

On 4/12/2024 at 6:57 PM, Mountain Heritage said:

Always more than one way to skin a cat!

Yes Sir!  And either way the cat does like it 😝