D-360 Low oil pressure, at wits end

Rockerstand.thumb.jpg.3d410928f2de912177a2e4f58927bed5.jpgSince my last update I have

Installed the 1 1/4" oil pump, Maxi-force brand. The oil cooler pressure was 35 psi @ 700 rpm, 55psi @ 1000 rpm, and 75 PSI at 2100 rpm at operating temp and 80 psi at not quite full noise. 

Moved the gauge to the injection pump feed, where the factory gauge reads, 24 psi @ 700 rpm, 42 psi @ 1000 rpm, 54 psi @ 2100 rpm. 

Its better yes, but it still isn't right. 

I took the filter base back off as it developed a small leak. I tapped and pipe plugged ,1/8" NPT, the oil port between the filter base flange and the main oil gallery. I believe it was a cross drilling for the main bearing feed. I measured it out and ran a piece of wire down through it, its right where a main bearing would be. 

Made my own OEM original style filter base gasket out of some 0.055" interface gasket paper.

We measured out 4.5 gallons of oil, 30w Case IH oil.

Pulled the valve cover and ran the engine to operating temp. The rocker stands are spraying oil at the pushrods when hot. I'm assuming it normal as they all do it. I didn't see any other leaks up top. the rocker levers had a slow drip and there's plenty of oil up top. 

I'm using Case IH 47395511 oil filter and notice they drained overnight after I had ran it. Tried another set of filters and it did the same thing. They're full when running. 

I've come to the conclusion that there is either something up with the block, possibly a crack that only occurs when it up to operating temp or maybe something stupid with a drilling on the crank shaft. Its dumping oil somewhere.

I think it just gonna have to work the way it is and hope for the best. 

Filter base.jpg

1 hour ago, IHC_1470 said:

Not sure why you think the pressures you measured are out of spec. Here is from GSS-147-B. Seems like you are in the correct range.

OilPressureSpecs_000145.jpg

Every 300 and 400 series on a 66 series tractor has pegged a gauge

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bwop2017 said:

Every 300 and 400 series on a 66 series tractor has pegged a gauge

What gauge? The one on the dash? I wouldn’t go by that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

What gauge? The one on the dash? I wouldn’t go by that. 

Looks like he isn't going by the gauge on the dash alone. Regardless, are the dash gauges that inconsistent? 

To my way of thinking if one can peg the gauge they all should be able to. A fresh overhaul with everything new in spec should be able to peg the gauge if a 3500-hour combine engine can.

• Like 1

I can't remember one that didn't peg the dash gauge
unless there was fuel in the oil or a bearing out

Those that I did test would hold 75 psi at just off an idle
that is the regulator pressure

the dash gauge was 60 psi pegged from my testing on a few (curiosity and boredom)

The pressures in that service letter are "cover your ass" numbers -- back when IH was being hammered on warranty -- when the engines first came out , they would "burn oil" because of the plateau honing process -- and the old Farmers wanting to break the engine in carefully would just idle around

We put new rings in many tractors and honed the sleeves -- then put them on the dyno for a couple of hours to help seat the rings
That got to be standard practice for all new tractors -- 30 minutes on the dyno -- check for leaks and any other issues

• Like 1