Camaro, what year?

I'm not a car person like at all but hauled a couple loads of sawdust this week and the guy who parts out cars and scraps a little on the side had this Camaro sitting next to the road. I don't know anything about it or it future. His son is a auctioneer so wether it came from a auction or not idk either. Hate to see it scrapped. Body seems good a little rust on the front fenders. Not familiar with the grill style though which made me wonder the year seems like a 80's ?

IMG_20240229_173514789_HDR.thumb.jpg.a58c8ca8e29cc76c6e3fabc4c75d0ab6.jpg

IMG_20240229_182239534_HDR.thumb.jpg.4984a5d23d649662ed35822a1491d7da.jpg

78 -81. 78 was the only one of that body style( wrap around rear window with covered bumpers ) that had the rounded/"cockpit" dash/instrument cluster

I can often determine the year from the interior  upholstery, 

If you are considering the car look under it carefully esp the rear frame rails , they are known to rot out and the springs come up through the rotted truck floor

• Like 1

also  the hood scoop is off a 78 or 79 Z28 but that car is not a Z28, The rims are also Z28 15" rims. other Camaros had the smaller 14" rims that were not 5 spoke like those ones

Is it auto or 4 speed, almost makes you want to grow a mullet and crack a pbr 

• Haha 2

My ‘79 Z28 had that front, and hood. 15” wheels, 350 w/ four on the floor. White with the orange details, red interior.

• Like 2

Reminds me a lot of my brothers trans am that he’s trying to track down now. He bought it when it was a couple years old. Did a bunch of stuff with it that he shouldn’t have and sold it or it got written off in a smaller accident. Not sure on the last part. Was before I was born so details are a little fuzzy I just heard the stories and trouble that he got into with it lol. 

2D4916E9-2AE6-4E84-9F08-505F443ADE0D.jpeg

721ECBB5-C347-4D5D-9C24-2333B6B9802D.jpeg

00345E86-1434-4D06-BB1B-8E0E8AEED2A0.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lars (midessa) said:

My ‘79 Z28 had that front, and hood. 15” wheels, 350 w/ four on the floor. White with the orange details, red interior.

your 79 Z28 had the front scoop/ground effect which that car does not have on the frontend

I have owned a 71,74,78,and still have my 80

...........and my hair is a touch longer than it should be at the back, I have been called a redneck and hillbilly and I am proud of it🤠

• Haha 1

Had a 74 and as much as I like my bowties it was in rough shape already in 82, had 60's all around when I got it and handled good, switched it to 70's in front and Protrac M50's in back with air shocks pumped up to prevent tire rub, kind of had a fro going at the time 

16 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Had a 74 and as much as I like my bowties it was in rough shape already in 82, had 60's all around when I got it and handled good, switched it to 70's in front and Protrac M50's in back with air shocks pumped up to prevent tire rub, kind of had a fro going at the time 

my 74 was a Z28 Type LT 4 speed with air. fairly unusual car

1974 z28.jpg

• Like 3

My ex-wife had a 1979 Camaro like that when I first married her. It was not the Z28. But it had the rear deck spoiler. It was an automatic with a 305 CID V-8. Too bad it wasn’t the 350. 

With those three color tail lights, red, orange, and white, it is 1978-1981. 1978 was the first year of those taillights and I liked them better than the single red light of the 1977, I remember when those 1978 Camaros were new. Looking at the hood, I would guess it is a 1979, but who knows with a car that old, it could have donor parts on it. If from the firewall back is not super rusted out, it is still worth some money even as it sits. My brother has a rough 1980, dark blue, but not rusted, and he keeps getting offers on it between $1500-$2000 and it doesn't run. He is keeping it for his son to build. That body style used to be plentiful, but they are getting more rare and the value is going up. Hotrod magazine bought one they call bonemaro and put a junkyard LS turbo engine in it and ran, I think, 10s.

6 hours ago, hillman said:

78 -81. 78 was the only one of that body style( wrap around rear window with covered bumpers ) that had the rounded/"cockpit" dash/instrument cluster

I can often determine the year from the interior  upholstery, 

If you are considering the car look under it carefully esp the rear frame rails , they are known to rot out and the springs come up through the rotted truck floor

78 was my guess.

I had a 76, 350 4 speed

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThirdGenRed said:

Looking at the hood, I would guess it is a 1979, but who knows with a car that old, it could have donor parts on it. 

donor for sure, a 79 Z28 ( the hood is 78 or 79 Z28) would have black headlight and turn signal bezels and the fender louvers with the bars. It would also have the front spoiler and no Camaro badge on the fenders  

I still have the original bos for my 1980. took every cent this kid had. its original paint still but I warmed the engine up considerably. I never drive it and that old Loadstar last week turns my crank more than a car

Before reading the other posts, I thought it looked like my cousin's '79 Z28. So I will concur on '79ish. I would have though Z28 from the hood, but I am certainly no expert and that could have easily been changed.

9 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Before reading the other posts, I thought it looked like my cousin's '79 Z28. So I will concur on '79ish. I would have though Z28 from the hood, but I am certainly no expert and that could have easily been changed.

From what I can see the only thing Z28 about that car is the hood.

the rims are Z28,

If it was a Z28 it would have black window trim as well

A plain Jane Camaro would not be the best project to start with but it depends on what you want in the end

after 1978 the 350 was only offered in the Z28 ( and 305 in California for some of those years) They also had a Saginaw 4 speed in the Plain Janes ( very weak ) The early 70s Z28s had Muncies and Maybe around 1974 and up went with Borg Warner 4 speeds . Most Plain Janes only had idiot lights as well, That car would maybe be a donor for a Z28 IMHO if its solid but looking at that fender I doubt it

image.png.dac5691cc8f20a238e16d7df68174564.png

Not mine, a friend just painted this car for another buddy. They were putting the bumpers and trim on when I showed up at his shop last week. 2nd owner car, rust free.

So what year is it?

20240223_123621.jpg

20240223_121320.jpg

• Like 1

Wing windows and no side marker lights, so it is a 1967. About 1990 I had a chance to buy a black on black 1969 Z/28 four speed 327 with about 60,000 miles in showroom condition for $4500 bucks and I passed because I was short on money. Boy, was that stupid, if only I could go back in time.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, hardtail said:

Is it auto or 4 speed, almost makes you want to grow a mullet and crack a pbr 

What the ****!. I don't have a mullet! And I never liked Camaros.

• Haha 2