Cars without spare tires

Dave Downs

My niece and I are planning a trip from Southeast Pennsylvania to Florida, 1000 miles each way.

We plan taking her car (a Prius, no bad comments needed, it’s been a great little car) but the darn thing doesn’t have a spare tire or a jack.

The tires are good but road hazards exist.

Practical/cautious me says get a spare and a jack and I’m afraid most of you will agree.

If you plan ahead and take one along, you will never need it.

Great Insurance!

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

If you plan ahead and take one along, you will never need it.

Great Insurance!

This has been my experience also. 

• Like 3

A trip to the salvage yard for a used tire and wheel would indeed be cheap insurance.  A lug wrench and jack should not be hard to locate either.

PAY ATTENTION to the back spacing on the wheel flange!!!!!!  There was a model year break that I ran into on my former wife’s Prius fleet. She totaled a cars like I eat M&Ms……..

• Like 4

If you have an inexpensive wheel available I would get the spare. Make sure you try it before starting out on the trip. Could be a very clever design that fits a specific model and year and after a carefully planed solution the wheel doesn't fit the hub or it only fits on one axle.  Where do you intend to carry it if found?

Good luck on your trip and be safe!

Just my thoughts but if it's a newer car the engineers figured everyone has a cell phone, so why put a spare and jack in it which is something that would cut costs? Or the engineers don't know what a spare is anyways?  The newer generation I see out and about makes me wonder how they even exist yet, how many people know how to change a spare now? The funny thing is I hear so many stories of spares under trucks rusted on, or flat. I keep a hack saw and a cigarette lighter air compresser in the tool box with a true floor jack " just in case"

• Like 2

I would not only get a spare and a jack, but I would remove and reinstall all four tires while it is in your shop instead of finding out that wheels and lug nuts are rusted solid onto the car while on the shoulder of the road.

• Like 4

Going that far. For my own piece of mind I would take a spare and jack.  For lug wrench I'd take my crodless impact with right size socket.  { I'm getting lazier at my age }.  Good luck on your trip and may you have a safe one.

Wife has a 2019 Kia Sorento that has a spare tire but no jack and lug wrench. I took the scissor jack from my 2012 Cherokee Equinox and put it in hers when we went on a long trip and it got left in it. I bought a small floor jack and a star wrench that went with the Equinox. 

I would get a tire and tools.  Last summer I was towing the camper and my wife was following behind.  We were on an exit ramp to go onto a different 4 lane road and she got a flat tire.  Had to go to next exit and get off.  No way to loop around and get to her.  Had  to find a place to park truck/ camper and ran up the edge about a half a mile to get to her.  Was glad I had a spare tire and a jack when i got there.  This summer Im going to add a battery impact with sockets for truck, camper and car.  I already carry a bottle jack for camper leveling.  Just for insurance.   1586 Jeff will know the spot.  It was on the 81N to 481N on ramp.  

3 hours ago, Paystar5000 said:

I would get a tire and tools.  Last summer I was towing the camper and my wife was following behind.  We were on an exit ramp to go onto a different 4 lane road and she got a flat tire.  Had to go to next exit and get off.  No way to loop around and get to her.  Had  to find a place to park truck/ camper and ran up the edge about a half a mile to get to her.  Was glad I had a spare tire and a jack when i got there.  This summer Im going to add a battery impact with sockets for truck, camper and car.  I already carry a bottle jack for camper leveling.  Just for insurance.   1586 Jeff will know the spot.  It was on the 81N to 481N on ramp.  

Andy, you should have called me!  That is not a great place to have a flat tire to begin with, but with the interchange being rebuilt it is now CHAOTIC!

”Chance favors the prepared hand.”

18 hours ago, FoxrunFarms02 said:

Just my thoughts but if it's a newer car the engineers figured everyone has a cell phone, so why put a spare and jack in it which is something that would cut costs? Or the engineers don't know what a spare is anyways?  The newer generation I see out and about makes me wonder how they even exist yet, how many people know how to change a spare now? The funny thing is I hear so many stories of spares under trucks rusted on, or flat. I keep a hack saw and a cigarette lighter air compresser in the tool box with a true floor jack " just in case"

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who go on long trips who just jump in the car and go and never check anything. Maybe it's just the farmer in me and or the way I was raised but always check fluids and tires regularly even when I don't travel very far to begin with

One of the more annoying things about cars that do not come with spares, is that in some of them there is no space for a spare or a place to store a jack and lug wrench. My own car does not have a spare, so I bought a tire and wheel, full size, I hate "donuts". When I load it into the trunk it takes up almost half the usable space.

I keep a short piece of pipe in with my lug wrenches for added leverage ever since my son had a flat and couldn’t loosen the lug nuts. Some mechanic had tightened them down way too much with an impact wrench.

I should probably make myself a checklist to have when car shopping, beginning with:

1. Does it have a spare tire?

2. Does it self stall when coming to a stop sign? (an idiotic idea to save gas, IMO)

3. Automatic headlights? (Can never remember to turn the manual ones on in one car when two other vehicles have automatic)

Mind is blanking out right now. Feel free to add more suggestions

• Like 1

Honestly the first thing I do to a vehicle is take the spare out, they just collect crap. My wife has AAA, she probably could change a tire, provided she could physically loosen the nuts and run the jack(she’s very small) but I really don’t want her out there on some roadside doing it anyway. Unless said Prius has room for a spare And you have one to put in there already, I would make sure it has good rubber and go for it. A AAA membership would cost you less than having to buy all the components and protect you against much more than just a flat tire. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, John Rowehl said:

I keep a short piece of pipe in with my lug wrenches for added leverage ever since my son had a flat and couldn’t loosen the lug nuts. Some mechanic had tightened them down way too much with an impact wrench.

I should probably make myself a checklist to have when car shopping, beginning with:

1. Does it have a spare tire?

2. Does it self stall when coming to a stop sign? (an idiotic idea to save gas, IMO)

3. Automatic headlights? (Can never remember to turn the manual ones on in one car when two other vehicles have automatic)

Mind is blanking out right now. Feel free to add more suggestions

If driving a newer Silverado, Tahoe or Sub, or the like, see if you can crank down your spare tire.

Those mechanisms have a lock on them so if the cable breaks it won't  fall out.

Those rust and get full of dirt and refuse to allow the spare tire to fall and come out.

Be out in the middle of Nowhere, SD and need the spare.

You will mention GM engineers, a lot, when working on this problem?

If replacing, use the older one that does not have the lock.  My 99 Silverado does not have it.