Turning fuel up on a Bosch 6A-100A rotary fuel pump for a IH 6588 tractor

John_6588

As @acem says things get expensive fast on that tractor if they are abused. They are really a 2WD tractor with FWA. A mini Steiger they are not. Have you put it on a dyno to see what it is actually doing? Might be money well spent. 

Hasn't been on a dyno - and not a lot of dyno's around where I am. My uncle bought a 6588 new in 1985 - last of them, last of the stock still to sell. Many years later, I got to use it on his farm, and I recall that I would break traction in 2nd high on the sandy soil before the engine would really bog down, and the tractor would start hopping due to the wheel spin, so I would have to powershift down to 1st high, and throttle back. With my 6588, its the opposite - the motor runs out of steam well before it looks like breaking traction. 

I am hoping to go to about 200hp, or 210hp at the flywheel. Standard they were just under 180hp, so basically I'm trying to get it back up to what it would have been producing from the factory, plus a few extra. I have noticed a large screw at the bottom of the pump and the back - I am thinking this will adjust the fuel flow ?

I have included the picture of my grandfather standing in front of my uncles new IH 6588 when it was delivered. Purchased during 1985, delivered Jan 1986.

1986 - Babbiloora Jan 86-A30-19 Dec 85-Unloading At Brian Prossers-Snoopy 6588 With Fred Manoel.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you snoshoe. Any further details would be appreciated. I have never had the cover off one before. I wonder if you could tell me the procedure ? how many turns for an extra 20 to 30hp, and turn clockwise, or anticlockwise ? Thanks. Also do you know what the large screw is for at the back of the pump, at the bottom ? 

Thanks for posting the pic!

8 hours ago, John_6588 said:

Hasn't been on a dyno - and not a lot of dyno's around where I am. My uncle bought a 6588 new in 1985 - last of them, last of the stock still to sell. Many years later, I got to use it on his farm, and I recall that I would break traction in 2nd high on the sandy soil before the engine would really bog down, and the tractor would start hopping due to the wheel spin, so I would have to powershift down to 1st high, and throttle back. With my 6588, its the opposite - the motor runs out of steam well before it looks like breaking traction. 

I am hoping to go to about 200hp, or 210hp at the flywheel. Standard they were just under 180hp, so basically I'm trying to get it back up to what it would have been producing from the factory, plus a few extra. I have noticed a large screw at the bottom of the pump and the back - I am thinking this will adjust the fuel flow ?

I have included the picture of my grandfather standing in front of my uncles new IH 6588 when it was delivered. Purchased during 1985, delivered Jan 1986.

1986 - Babbiloora Jan 86-A30-19 Dec 85-Unloading At Brian Prossers-Snoopy 6588 With Fred Manoel.jpg

12 hours ago, John_6588 said:

That was a nice looking tractor.

Are you talking same tractor now or is yours different? There are so many things that could make a difference in what you remember and what you are now seeing. Soil conditions, tire conditions, tractor weighting to name just a few. Still recommend putting on a dyno to see what you are getting before twisting any screws. Also if you are inclined to actually twist a screw then you will know where you set it to. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 2:01 PM, acem said:

If you don't mind me asking, where are you located?

The scenery and truck in your pics interest me.

Thx-Ace

Thanks guys for the interest. The tractor was exported to Australia. My uncle found the the IH 6588 at a dealership in Queensland. It was one of the last of the 6588's. We live and farm in South Australia. The tractor was purchased during 1985, and delivered Jan 1986. The area we farm at is called the upper south east of south Australia. The annual rainfall where my uncle's farm was, is 18" to 20". It a Mediterranean climate. The hot, dry period is from November to March. April and May is what I would call actual Autumn, and cold wet weather is June to August. May can sometimes be cold and wet also. We typically sow our crops in June - if possible with an early break to the season - late May. The soil type typically in the upper south east is a grey sandy loam. A lot of it is non-wetting grey sandy soil. The soil is typically 2' deep, and has a layer of limestone under it, and also a rubble-clay layer. There are also some areas in the upper south east with a better clay loam soil. My uncle used to grow lupins rotated with wheat. He also grew barley, and oats. You can also grow canola in the sandy soil. Mostly my uncle would grow lupins under sown  with alfalfa. Alfalfa grows extremely well in our area. He had cattle, and sheep as the main farm enterprise. We used to use his 6588 to pull his IH 511 28 row combine during seeding. He would reap his crops with an IH harvester, then years later he bought another, bigger IH harveter to have a couple running to get the harvest done quicker. He had 3,500 acres (3,000 arable acres), and would sow about 600 acres of crops/paddock renovations a year. There are 500 acres of lakes on the farm. Notice in the picture of the IH harvester in the crop of wheat - the alfalfa crowing underneath. He would under sow barley, and sometimes wheat with it. My uncle sold the farm, and his IH 6588 one year before I had the money to buy a farm - so I missed out on buying some of the family farm, and the 6588. I know where my uncle's tractor is, and I hope to buy it back one day when the farmer who has it retires.

image.jpeg.286c490f85fdd99ed261ca3ca05f9a7c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.932792024f873483e3526b6c7b2cad98.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.da789850d195a1283b9240b7c5174bed.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.93303fa80c0a3b49082797fb3bd41577.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7209ccfd636e64a013f450240e33cdde.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.465a6e1510905ea7d79b18e5772876da.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks for the story. 

The scenery looks like what I see in southern  Australia and southern Africa, in pics as I've never been there.

Thanks for the pics and stories. Hopefully we can help you with your 6588.

Who's the pretty girl on the grain bin?

We like pics of farm stuff here. I like it even better if it has females in the pics!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Take the  cover off there's a screw in line with the tractor that holds a plate up and down  loosen  lock nut7/16wrench turn screw counter clockwise 1/2 to 3/4 should give you about 30 horsepower