Welding on a Cub - what damage?

Mountain Heritage

So dumb question time.....

If I remove the battery from the tractor.... to do some welding - do I still run the risk of messing anything up on the tractor - gauges, charging of engine, etc?

I need to rebuild the sub-frame jaws at the front for the blade/mower deck to attach.  Mine is worn out, so was going to weld on new jaws.

Another thing that adds another level of protection for electronics is once the battery cables are removed clamp the positive and ground cable together. This is what Claas chopper clinic school tells us to do to safely weld on their choppers 

Unless you've added a Holley EFI system and active traction/stability systems to your Cub, there are no electronics to fry with welding. Disconnecting the battery isn't even necessary IMHO.

That is assuming this is an actual CUB, not a Cub Cadet that you call "Cub" for short. Even then if it was made before the 1990s there would be no sensitive electronics on it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Unless you've added a Holley EFI system and active traction/stability systems to your Cub, there are no electronics to fry with welding. Disconnecting the battery isn't even necessary IMHO.

That is assuming this is an actual CUB, not a Cub Cadet that you call "Cub" for short. Even then if it was made before the 1990s there would be no sensitive electronics on it.

I believe he is talking about a 982

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1