Sunrise

Chester5732

5 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Having the right clouds and the right amount of them is what makes for incredible shots like this.

I've got some better ones but I can't seem to get them to not go sideways. I'll have to try again

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/7/2024 at 7:27 AM, New Englander said:

A professional photographer has taken a couple of pictures of our house from the road a couple of times. One was a misty morning sunrise another a winter scene. Someone noticed them for sale in his portfolio. Our kids bought a couple of framed ones for us.

Our house misty morning.jpg

Our house winter.jpg

Is that fresh water? 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 4:58 AM, Reichow7120 said:

So its not like it is around Frakenmueth in your area then.

The worked strip in the last picture is where we pulled part of a fencerow 3 years ago. The pile of rocks came from that strip and we had someone buy a bunch of rocks out of it before that twice. And thats not the worst we own.

Last picture is of the rock pile down at my Uncle’s farm. Has a active gravel pit on it. There are so many rocks on it that they piled some of them off to the side and then were pulling Michigan trains out to another pit to get the rock content to where they wanted it in that pits gravel 

And it was being farmed before that.

20210324_151443.jpg

20210324_151458.jpg

20210324_143324.jpg

20190403_142604.jpg

Must be a lot of historic stone houses around?

On 2/19/2024 at 6:35 AM, DT Fan said:

Nice sunrise here today. I procrastinated about 5 minutes too long before going out to take the picture.

IMG_2882.jpeg

Looks like they are chemtrailing early, was setting up to be a fantastic day here and they sprayed at 1130 and cloudy for the rest of the day 🤬

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Must be a lot of historic stone houses around?

Lot of old barn basements and house basements are laid in stone. We refer to them as Michigan basements. 

Surprisingly enough. Not a huge amount of stone houses. But there are some. I wonder if some of the work involved laying rock 2 stories up detered a lot of families from doing it.

Plus lumber here was very plentiful in upon itself. Clearing fields yielded a lot of trees. Still a lot of trees around here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Is that fresh water? 

It's a shallow fire pond the town created with a dam in the '20s before they ran a water main through. Connecting to that main would be expensive so the house doesn't have town water. Since it's on an old shallow well I'm in the process of adding a filter and UV sterilizer system.

Great bay is just to the west of us on the other side of the road visible seasonally from the house. Great Bay is a tidal estuary with a some oyster farms, three of which happen to be owned by women.

4 minutes ago, New Englander said:

It's a shallow fire pond the town created with a dam in the '20s before they ran a water main through. Connecting to that main would be expensive so the house doesn't have town water. Since it's on an old shallow well I'm in the process of adding a filter and UV sterilizer system.

Great bay is just to the west of us on the other side of the road visible seasonally from the house. Great Bay is a tidal estuary with a some oyster farms, three of which happen to be owned by women.

Are they being irritated for pearl production or dining purposes? 

10 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Are they being irritated for pearl production or dining purposes? 

Ha! Strictly for eating.

I just did a 4 day trip for my old company just providing coverage in New Orleans. Sitting at an oyster house bar watching them shuck I noticed those oysters were huge compared with the local ones. Restaurants here won't buy them when they're that big.

Pearl oysters: While in Japan I picked up some Mikimoto pearls for my wife. They're cultured pearls made by inserting a polished sphere of fresh water mussel shell into the host oyster. The oysters themselves are a hybrid variety. There's a lot of technology involved to make nice pearls. Natural pearls are pretty rare requiring the oyster to have some sort of injury to form the pearl around.

Local Oysters are yummy!

• 2 weeks later...

This morning was sunrise, mammatus & a rainbow.... rainstick.... something?

image.gif.e6f0202f7729219867703ac985dbbe42.gif

Then it disappeared & came back! :D

image.gif.2e4cc1f369c4b42a4c6c5e7ae53c76db.gif

All thanks to my polarizer, as the phone wasn't picking up anything in that lighting.

Mike

• Like 2

Can remember walking out of the house at sunrise.

Stopping and lighting a cigarette.

Listening to the pigs grunting and the lids of the Pride of the Farm feeders slamming shut.

The cows mooing and the pheasants crowing.

A car on the gravel road many miles away.

The world is just waking up.

Those who have never stopped to hear the morning, you have missed a lot.

• Like 2