LEGO Case IH 395 Tractor with Boxblade

Jake395

Hi, I am Jake, and this is my first post on this forum, so bear with me if this is not in the right place, or if there is some formality, I am not aware of. Anyway, as the post title suggests, I recently made a LEGO model of my own Case IH 395, shortly after I restored it this past summer. 

The tractor and box blade are 100% LEGO and were intended to follow the same building techniques as their real counterparts. That way, the "engine", "transmission", and rear end are all load bearing structures, just like the real machine, and give it a more realistic look. Unlike the diecast models that are out there, I was able to add more detail using LEGO, such as having modeled primary and secondary fuel filters, oil dipstick, oil filter, fuel injection pump, starter motor, clutch and brake pedals, and more. The 3 point, PTO, oscillating front axle, and steering all work as well.

The engine is a small 3 cylinder, that goes up and down in the correct firing order, and there is a removable hood and battery cover for easy engine access. Lastly, the machine is able to transform into a "low-profile" configuration, which includes smaller tires and a swept down exhaust to complete the look.  I have some photos down below to show, and there are more on my Flickr page as well.

Lastly, after finishing the model, I was suggested to propose this idea to LEGO, and as such there is a link here to their official Ideas site, if you believe that you would purchase this as its own set. If I reach 10,000 supporters in the next 400 days, then LEGO will consider making it. There is a registration at the beginning, but it only takes a minute to do.

I hope you guys like this model and go easy on me for any mistakes made posting this. Thanks, and take care. 

Real_2edited2.thumb.jpg.24c84cc42979223b06c19edb48714932.jpgReal_4edited.thumb.jpg.515d4a1af26844e2b51c56a63463c1ce.jpgReal_5edited.thumb.jpg.84f295eddb4176159d371a9aeacdc4e2.jpgReal_7edited.thumb.jpg.edb36945a7974039e6de35b99112dbe3.jpgReal_8edited.thumb.jpg.012393a0a560cc350bcbabcaa79b5af5.jpgReal_9edited.thumb.jpg.39eb051b38e697fe6a61a7cdafa0648f.jpgEngineBayLeft.thumb.jpg.ad30ff6072f28c1f8f5dcd1e77332f0d.jpgEngineBayRight.thumb.jpg.0885bde1d90ae3b62bc13513b7fca0a0.jpgBackEnd1.thumb.jpg.91422f6d2a526d234250a06cfcca2a89.jpgHoodline.thumb.jpg.b30b991a9254754dc1b06d458720afeb.jpgConsole.thumb.jpg.31a24ad30da4e61270a6903f1da6006b.jpg

Real_3 edited.jpg

• Like 20

That looks very nice and well thought out. It looks like a tractor instead of some pile of blocks which is not easy to accomplish. Good luck in your endeavors.

We are all partial to a model of tractor that means something to us personally be it a family tractor, first driven, first bought, freshly restored (like your real machine) etc…  If you truly want to have your own Lego model made into a set I would suggest an iconic model from history that would touch on more people personally.  PLEASE do not take this as a jab or swipe at what you have done with your 395. It looks outstanding.  My thoughts go from a 395 with 24K units produced to possibly a 1066 with over 50K units produced or even a Farmall H with over 390K units produced.  

You are definitely right on the numbers produced. Besides having the convenience of my source material being a few feet from my door, my goal was to make a model that was instantly recognizable as Case IH, which it does thanks to having similar styling as the Magnum and is also very customizable. As this model came with different colors, different front axles, different fenders, and could even be sold as an orchard special if you wanted. My point being it didn't have to fit the stereotype of a tractor working in the fields all day, but could be on the golf course, in the barn yard, or on a construction site if you wanted. How this works, we will see, but I do appreciate your feedback, and would appreciate it if you spread the word about it. Thanks!

• Like 1

I’ve been playing with Lego since I was a kid, and now I mostly watch my boys build things. I absolutely LOVE your model!! The overall look, the details, the functionality are all things Lego is typically lacking. I would love to see Lego produce tractors like this, but I too think you would do better with a more iconic model. But even then I’m pessimistic, as it would require licensing to make. Perhaps that’s easier than I think, but I’m sure it would be easier yet with that other color….

• Like 1

Absolutely fantastic! The things that can be done with modern LEGO are amazing compared to the square blocks that I used to build from in the 70s and 80s!  I will support your endeavor and share the word. I have no issues with it not being a 1066... but being an IH guy, I would want "International" 384 decals.. haha. Well done, sir!!

• Like 1

Have you shared this on other platforms like the Facebook tractor and IHC pages?

I think it's great! Even without stickers it's recognizable as CIH. I played with lots of LEGOs but never built nothing like that.

I agree. Share this on other platforms and just maybe.

Then, we can build other models. Letter series, 06, 56, 66, 86, 88 and others. The base on much of those might be quite the same.

Great job 👍. Keep them coming.

Would you consider building custom for purchase? Might be a side hustle. 

Nice! Definitely the most accurately detailed Lego tractor I've ever seen.

How did you make the cylinders go up and down? I assume by turning the "fan"? You got a little bitty crank and connecting rods, too??

Wow, so many replies, let me process them all here. 

Brewcrew: "But even then I’m pessimistic, as it would require licensing to make.". At the beginning of the submission process, there is a question about a project being intellectual property, and if so, name the brand. Case IH was a preapproved property to use, so they must have some sort of licensing agreement with CNH. And as for the "other color", LEGO has a strict rule that you cannot make a model with a brand they are currently partnered with, and that color is currently in use, so it is off the table.

The one thing I am worried about is the algorithm that the site runs on, because as soon as my project hit 200 supporters, my number of votes went down drastically, despite having a steady stream of about 19-24 supporters per day prior to, it is now at about 10, and I need about 13 supporters a day on average to make it in time. Out of interest, I did some analytical digging, and found out a considerable minority of projects (about 40% of all projects on the site) are also stuck at around the 200 to 700 supporter mark. Suggesting there is some sort of filter in place to help weed out projects. And if they do pass, they usually die shortly after in the 1-2,000 supporter range as they spent all their time getting there. This is where voting and spreading the word are crucial to escape this "Great Filter".

Farmall Doctor: "Have you shared this on other platforms like the Facebook tractor and IHC pages?" I am currently sharing this with several Reddit and Facebook LEGO groups, I tried getting into the Case IH groups on FB, but they do not tolerate links to other sites lightly, and I get banned for "self-promotion", unless you know some that I don't. I also promote on Flickr, and recently got featured on this blog. There is plenty of exposure, but now the million-dollar question is how to turn this exposure into votes. That is where you guys can help, both by voting and just simply spreading the word.

DZIdenny: "The base on much of those might be quite the same". This is true for the IH utility series of tractors. Any model from the 54 to the C series is theoretically buildable, as the chassis is the same, and this platform I made can accommodate 3- and 4-cylinder engines. 

"Would you consider building custom for purchase? Might be a side hustle. ". Depends on the demand, and demand for what model, there is only so many colors that LEGO has in their portfolio, so some might be off limits. Things such as no white rims, or red rims for the front wheels make IH models difficult without making compromises. That is why I chose a Case IH model instead. For now, I would focus mainly on the IH utility series of tractors if I were to offer instructions, as I already did the engineering and debugging for them. 

TN Hillbilly: "How did you make the cylinders go up and down? I assume by turning the "fan"?". No, the fan is stationary, and does not move, but can be spun by hand.  Instead, there is a crankshaft that is turned by the wheels. Inside there is a differential so the model can turn sharp, and that shaft goes to the engine. Where the operator straddles the transmission has the PTO clutch gear inside to engage and disengage the PTO. Below is a cutaway to show how the drive and steering work. The drive is the bottom dark gray gear on the left. The red gear is an idler, so that the steering shaft can get underneath the engine, since the real tractor does not have rack and pinion steering. The engine crankshaft is basically a cam that pushes the pistons up and down.

Cutaway.thumb.jpg.45f7899f08ced2617a8d3e8f2c4b83d6.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jake395 said:

Wow, so many replies, let me process them all here. 

Brewcrew: "But even then I’m pessimistic, as it would require licensing to make.". At the beginning of the submission process, there is a question about a project being intellectual property, and if so, name the brand. Case IH was a preapproved property to use, so they must have some sort of licensing agreement with CNH. And as for the "other color", LEGO has a strict rule that you cannot make a model with a brand they are currently partnered with, and that color is currently in use, so it is off the table.

The one thing I am worried about is the algorithm that the site runs on, because as soon as my project hit 200 supporters, my number of votes went down drastically, despite having a steady stream of about 19-24 supporters per day prior to, it is now at about 10, and I need about 13 supporters a day on average to make it in time. Out of interest, I did some analytical digging, and found out a considerable minority of projects (about 40% of all projects on the site) are also stuck at around the 200 to 700 supporter mark. Suggesting there is some sort of filter in place to help weed out projects. And if they do pass, they usually die shortly after in the 1-2,000 supporter range as they spent all their time getting there. This is where voting and spreading the word are crucial to escape this "Great Filter".

Farmall Doctor: "Have you shared this on other platforms like the Facebook tractor and IHC pages?" I am currently sharing this with several Reddit and Facebook LEGO groups, I tried getting into the Case IH groups on FB, but they do not tolerate links to other sites lightly, and I get banned for "self-promotion", unless you know some that I don't. I also promote on Flickr, and recently got featured on this blog. There is plenty of exposure, but now the million-dollar question is how to turn this exposure into votes. That is where you guys can help, both by voting and just simply spreading the word.

DZIdenny: "The base on much of those might be quite the same". This is true for the IH utility series of tractors. Any model from the 54 to the C series is theoretically buildable, as the chassis is the same, and this platform I made can accommodate 3- and 4-cylinder engines. 

"Would you consider building custom for purchase? Might be a side hustle. ". Depends on the demand, and demand for what model, there is only so many colors that LEGO has in their portfolio, so some might be off limits. Things such as no white rims, or red rims for the front wheels make IH models difficult without making compromises. That is why I chose a Case IH model instead. For now, I would focus mainly on the IH utility series of tractors if I were to offer instructions, as I already did the engineering and debugging for them. 

TN Hillbilly: "How did you make the cylinders go up and down? I assume by turning the "fan"?". No, the fan is stationary, and does not move, but can be spun by hand.  Instead, there is a crankshaft that is turned by the wheels. Inside there is a differential so the model can turn sharp, and that shaft goes to the engine. Where the operator straddles the transmission has the PTO clutch gear inside to engage and disengage the PTO. Below is a cutaway to show how the drive and steering work. The drive is the bottom dark gray gear on the left. The red gear is an idler, so that the steering shaft can get underneath the engine, since the real tractor does not have rack and pinion steering. The engine crankshaft is basically a cam that pushes the pistons up and down.

Cutaway.thumb.jpg.45f7899f08ced2617a8d3e8f2c4b83d6.jpg

Thanks for sharing, great work!

Absolutely beautiful!! How did you do the fuel tank? It looks just like the real thing!

That's an outstanding job! Good luck on your mission!!

Mike

Eason: "How did you do the fuel tank? It looks just like the real thing!". I got lucky with LEGO having just released a new corvette set that introduced this piece. 

Screenshot2024-02-04080332.png.375d120b3888f8e4db36d98649a093ae.png

I also appreciate your support Brewcrew! Thank you!